some old corps photos

General Putnams Men view from the other side 1980

Untitled156-6.jpg

I was a staff member this year. Forgot about this form, but remember working on it. I can't remember what the baritones were playing.

Awesome.....I wish I had been around then. To bad we never met.

That John Mauro..... What a Handsome son-of-a-gun, but still disappointed that he never marched with SCV, but I did bring some fun to the West Coast when I marched

John

I second the comment...what a cutie!!!!

LOL, OK, it must be the "peeking from behind the hat" thing. Can't be the kneesocks, since we weren't wearing them that year! :P

That John Mauro..... What a Handsome son-of-a-gun, but still disappointed that he never marched with SCV, but I did bring some fun  to the West Coast when I marched

John

Now if I only had a scanner - boy do I have some pictures of the one and only John Mauro.

PS - Helen sends her love. b**bs

The question is...what's in Gail's cup?

I visited SCV's housing site in 1979 during finals week in Birmingham after one last show before prelims. I was hoping to hook up with a former 2-7 bari that was aging out with SCV.

There was Gail in the canteen truck preparing a huge spaghetti "snack" for the corps. He opened up a bottle of sherry and dumped it into the tomato sauce. Looking at me and smiling, while saying. "there - these kids ought to get a good night sleep tonight."

Now if I only had a scanner - boy do I have some pictures of the one and only John Mauro.

PS - Helen sends her love.  b**bs

Be nice...I do have a daughter

That John Mauro..... What a Handsome son-of-a-gun, but still disappointed that he never marched with SCV, but I did bring some fun  to the West Coast when I marched

John

I must agree, a handsome devil he is....with an even more beautiful personality and joy of life which is unparalled! :blink::blink:

John John was always a favorite of mine who also belonged to the "mountaineers of 1978" - I took and printed out 2 pictures for each of us, what was it, 13 or 15 of us? Anyway, I cannot find one of those pictures but would love to know if you john2780 would have a copy I could scan or that you could send me. It would sure mean alot especially where the glue that stuck it all together is now gone.

Without a doubt, one of the happiest times in my life, on any tour anytime with such a great group of people, the smiles in those 2 photos are bigger than ear to ear.....we just marched to the beat of a different drummer....Casa Bonita my arse...and here's a quote from that evening (more a paraphrase):

"I finally know what John Denver meant by Rocky Mountain High"

J.M. 1978

There was then a sigh in agreement and total silence. So glad I got to share that with you and well, you know who the others are.

Ooh those nasty cactus!! :(

If it might add, both of john2780s parents were heavily involved in both drum corps we marched in, and if it weren't for their hard work, in certain cases, we'd still be on a highway somewhere.

They exemplified IMO what fabulous parents are, and I can say that it doesn't always work out that your parents are actually friends, but I do believe they they were just so cool, that there seemed to be no age difference between them and us! :worthy:

Not only were they respected, they were I felt, our friends. It takes very special people to be able to have it work like that!

Edited by LancerFi