some old corps photos

QUOTE(Tansea @ Mar 19 2005, 02:48 PM)

Awesome.....I wish I had been around then. To bad we never met.

Tansea, who were you talking to when you posted this? If you remember?

Thanks!

There was Gail in the canteen truck preparing a huge spaghetti "snack" for the corps. He opened up a bottle of sherry and dumped it into the tomato sauce. Looking at me and smiling, while saying. "there - these kids ought to get a good night sleep tonight."

Yep, the best Spaghetti sauce ever. He also used to dump a can of beer into the Tuna and mayonaise mix for our sandwiches. He sure did know how to take care of us! :D

That John Mauro..... What a Handsome son-of-a-gun, but still disappointed that he never marched with SCV, but I did bring some fun  to the West Coast when I marched

John

My husband marched with you in 78, he was the skinny Contra from California ..He's shared some stories with me about you! You're a legend! :) :P

Edited by Lancerlady

I visited SCV's housing site in 1979 during finals week in Birmingham after one last  show before prelims. I was hoping to hook up with a former 2-7 bari that was aging out with SCV.

There was Gail in the canteen truck preparing a huge spaghetti "snack" for the corps. He opened up a bottle of sherry and dumped it into the tomato sauce. Looking at me and smiling, while saying. "there - these kids ought to get a good night sleep tonight."

Yep, the best Spaghetti sauce ever.  He also used to dump a can of beer into the Tuna and mayonaise mix for our sandwiches.  He sure did know how to take care of us! :D

. . . and let's not forget his beef stew!

Gail loved to spice up the food on special occasions. His special spaghetti sauce was his most famous and the tradition has been kept alive by the alumni at SCV’s birthday dinner! I’ll never forget the story he told about how once on the last day of tour he decided to spice up the corps fruit cocktail by adding a touch of brandy. As he told it, after the corps had been served, a member of the guard (Sue C.) went to him and stated, “Mr. Royer this fruit cocktail tastes awful! Did you do anything to it?” Sue was a longtime vet and knew of Gail’s surprises. According to Gail he went and checked his brandy bottle and discovered that an unknown corps member had drunk the brandy and substituted Listerine! Then Gail chuckled as only he could, wiped the tears from his eyes and stated, “The funniest thing is that Sue was the only one that complained! The kids must have really been hungry that night!” It’s too bad he is no longer around to share his stories! RIP GR.

"special spaghetti sauce"

Not many Italians in your area huh? Sauce? :P

It's OK, you can called it what you want to!

George use to make gravy and spanish rice, most of the time I went hungry, not because it wasn't good, actually I don't know if it was good! I would eat when we were home, but not on tour, it's so difficult to go from enough for 12 to enough for 212 and in Italian families it's very difficult to like anyone else's gravy or meatballs except your own Mothers! (meatballs, when I was eating animals) Very difficult to even smell it actually.

Although I do have to say that "Nana B." made a mean gravy, actually, she made a mean everything! Now that was a cook! :worthy:

We had many spaghetti dinners as did Quasar, I'd say 99% of their last names ended in a-e-i-o or u!

But it's a tough gig cooking for 150...no matter what you're cooking! In 2-7 Italians had their tuna with relish, others never heard of it! :blink: You just cannot please everyone.

Not many Italians in your area huh?  Sauce?  :P

It's OK, you can called it what you want to!

George use to make gravy and spanish rice, most of the time I went hungry, not because it wasn't good, actually I don't know if it was good!  I would eat when we were home, but not on tour, it's so difficult to go from enough for 12 to enough for 212 and in Italian families it's very difficult to like anyone else's gravy or meatballs except your own Mothers! (meatballs, when I was eating animals)  Very difficult to even smell it actually.

Although I do have to say that "Nana B." made a mean gravy, actually, she made a mean everything!  Now that was a cook!  :blink:

We had many spaghetti dinners as did Quasar, I'd say 99% of their last names ended in a-e-i-o or u!

But it's a tough gig cooking for 150...no matter what you're cooking!  In 2-7 Italians had their tuna with relish, others never heard of it!  :blink:   You just cannot please everyone.

OK hold up, I'm a good italian from NY and all, my name ends in a vowel, and yes we grew up calling it gravy also, and I happen to cooking Chicken Parmagiana as I'm typing this.

But tuna with relish?? I don't know what section of the old country your familia is from but we don't eat THAT!!!!!!!! :worthy:

must be a Boston thing, you talk funny and eat funny! :P

Edited by johnric

OK hold up, I'm a good italian from NY and all, my name ends in a vowel, and yes we grew up calling it gravy also, and I happen to cooking Chicken Parmagiana as I'm typing this.

But tuna with relish?? I don't know what section of the old country your familia is from but we don't eat THAT!!!!!!!! :blink:

must be a Boston thing, you talk funny and eat funny! :P

I like it with relish, and I'm Irish. But I like it with brown mustard too.