No Lancers 86, but here's 1983:

Slide139.jpg

El Vanguardo de Santa Clara:

Slide143.jpg

Los Diablos. Tuned gongs, anyone?

Slide140.jpg

Stupid double posts. Pics below.

Edited by tommytimp

...and this is how I know that picture of Fantasia wasn't Pioneer.

Slide99.jpg

Knight Time, y'all! End of 'Whiplash:'

Slide102.jpg

And some dumb corps from New Jersey that kept beating us all year:

Slide112.jpg

Good night, all!

Edited by tommytimp

Oh man, that sure brings back memories...

I taught the VK Brass section in 1982. We were at a camp in May, at Oceanside HS. The drums were late to runthroughs, and when they showed up, they were wearing uniforms. But these were no uniform any of us had ever seen. It seems that the head percussion instructor had gotten uniforms made without telling the rest of the staff.

And we hated them.

We called a staff meeting, and after a bit of back and forth, Greg Clarke (from Bayonne) said, "We should just wear Hawaiian shirts." Someone else said it wouldn't look worse than what we had seen. Our fearless leader, Jack Bevins, told us we could do what we wanted, with a budget of $3500 to outfit the entire corps.

So we divided it up. I was on uniform tops. Charlie Groh and I took two corps members (Andy Cross and Craig Root) and went to the fabric store, where we found the material you see in this picture. Why did we choose it? Because it was on sale for 75% off!

We got the hats from K Mart ($1.98) and the pants from a surplus store. Shoes were donated by Vann's. And we came up with a uniform that rocked the world. And was machine washable.

Chris I do know what ya mean about trying to look good with a low budget. Crossmen's unis with the cape was nothing more than the police uniforms, home made cross sashes and cape. The shirt pocket had holes for a badge to go through.....but it looked unique!

I do miss the uniqueness of uniforms from back in the day, :laugh:

Troopers, Whitewater 83.

Slide116.jpg

All right, sit down. Sheesh. It's just this.

Slide115.jpg

27, same year. They were the last corps on. I know I waited around to hear their score. So did everyone else.

Slide127.jpg

BD. Everybody Loves the Blues.

Slide141.jpg

It was definitely New Berlin

Saturday July 4, 1987

New Berlin WI DCM

1 Troopers 69.300

2 Northern Aurora 52.800

3 Northmen (WI) 38.000

4 Madison Junior Scouts 31.900

5 Pioneer 23.500

For some reason, I remember there being a beer tent and parade grounds right behind the grandstand.

There was a beer tent, which we were told to stay away from.

Troopers' DM confirmed that it was New Berlin, too, based on the background, the other corps there, and the trophy.

oops ... 1986 (I just realized the stadium was red and not silver) I had them listed as Connexion Quebec .. but I have a feeling it's Les Eclipses. Anyone have an answer?

1987ConnexionQuebec.jpg

It's definately 1986 - Les Eclipses. We did a French show that year (notice the Eiffel tower drill set). We ended up 14th that year - it was also our last year out :(

Later,

Mike

Valley Fever, 1983. The 'Doll Dance.'

Slide123.jpg

Cavaliers, 1982. Drum solo.

Slide158.jpg

Slide84.jpg

Phantom 1983. 1812!!!

Slide109.jpg