I marched 73 and 74 - took 75 off from burn out - marched 76 and aged out in 77. I think LancerFi was still in diapers.  b**bs

Do you remember the Ramada Inn in Janesville?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it was '75 Maggie. Don't get me wrong, I liked your show....I just felt there were missed opportunities. I'm sure the camera couldn't capture everything that was happening, but the segments that I saw, you guys were just standing there. I'd have to go back and look at it again and tell you where.

Yes, Stanley became a drum corps legend. Did you know a WGI guard did a tribute to him....I think it was last year or 2002. It was a tear jerker!

Yes, you are right that a lot of guards held back all the years the tick system was in place. Only a few challenged it and prevailed. One possitive thing about it, guard execution was at it's best......but the downside is the creative thought process was kept at bay.

O.K. after watching it again I have to pretty much stick with what I said before and that the flag line did do an awful lot of work. I know for a fact that when they showed only the horn or drumline, flag work was happening at the time. What struck me though was not really missed "opportunities" for flag work, but the fact that when the drill was unfolding in certain areas, and if flag work was done at those times, it may have distracted the eye from the picture that was being painted. I think Pete did a great job of drawing the eye to what ever area he wanted you to.

I remember distinctly Pete telling us when and where he wanted work to be put in. I can see that near the end though that there wasn't as much work as the first 3/4 of the show. I'm not sure what was up with that except that he may have wanted the set up of the Star of David to come together with a visual "silence" before the push and "unfolding" of that beautiful image. And after that, there was the build up to the Bottle Dance and so the focus went to the rifle line, not the outside flag line.

I'm still wondering about the "just standing there" part of your comments. There were places when they marked time for awhile while different "sets" were being completed and of course "Concert" which is a given. I just can't figure out the other times.

Oh well, I'm glad you still liked the show (you knew I knew it was '75 silly girl. :P ) And thanks for making me watch it again so closely! It was one heck of a season and I'm very proud of what we ended up with at finals.

I marched 73 and 74 - took 75 off from burn out - marched 76 and aged out in 77. I think LancerFi was still in diapers.  b**bs

LancerFi had already marched 7 years when you aged out in 77...ooops! 2 of them being in 2-7.

The criteria was the same in 75 as 76, 77, etc. wasn't it?

I was in the stands for most of 75 season (my mistake), culminating in Philly. I have to say that the double silks did help, but I still believe that Malibu may be correct on this one. By comparison, and all things considered comparing other flag lines/guards to SCV 75, they might have been cleaner, although I can't confirm that, but they were safer as well. (I'm not biased at all... :P ) Maybe a few others were more progressive?

And wasn't 1975 the year that many a disgruntled corps directors and judge thought too many corps received perfect scores (not SCV/GE!) I believe 2-7 was one of them, but to be fair, the GE score Maggie mentions was not the one, I believe it was either VA or MA......(it's those small details I'm beginning to lose---I'm so gray)

But don't go my me, I'm from the east and we always thought we were ahead in guard.....as does anyone who marches anywhere, any year, anytime! Of course 6 trick flags and double silks out of Reve-eah were amazing and great ideas. Both ahead of their time, both caught on :sshh: , some corps quicker than others. :P I'm also happy that Zingali knew so well how to integrate even those red jackets into the picture.....

Edited by LancerFi

Maybe.... ^0^

LL, I had marched 7 years by 1977....2 in 2-7....oops got your people mixed up again?

Quite well. I remember picking up "your" copper Slingerland TDR-100 DCI championship trophy sitting on the lobby for all to admire.

I remember Fred (RIP) working the drumline behind the hotel. And that distinctive snare sound - I was told that SCV substituted tennis racket string for the traditional gut snares.

LancerFi - I know you weren't in diapers in 1975. I was only teasing, since you're so MUCH younger than me. :P

Quite well. I remember picking up "your" copper Slingerland TDR-100 DCI championship trophy sitting on the lobby for all to admire.

I remember Fred (RIP) working the drumline behind the hotel. And that distinctive snare sound - I was told that SCV substituted tennis racket string for the traditional gut snares.

LancerFi - I know you weren't in diapers in 1975. I was only teasing, since you're so MUCH younger than me.  :P

No no no, do you remember that party afterwards??? B)

--- She was most likely home in Revere getting her wardrobe ready to go dancing that night.

:ph34r::laugh::laugh:

That tickled me! Yep, you're probably right about that. Guilty as charged.... :laugh::laugh:

---Crown was resurrected from 1973 - and a far more electrifying performance. There was a drill segment in the middle - during the "ballard" portion that we called "the dead bird" for it's visual resemblence. (OK everyone, take it from "the dead bird" after 4.)

--- Dropped Sporran - I don't remember.

--- The wailing bari was Phil Bunton who only marched 1975, the French horn was Dave Devine - a vet since 1971.

--- LancerLegend took 1975 off. I was admittedly a "weak sister" and burnt out from 1974. I was at the top of the lower deck in Philly however screaming my approval. I rejoined in Oct 75 for 2 more years. LancerFi was not marching yet. She was most likely home in Revere getting her wardrobe ready to go dancing that night.

--- Chime player - Kevin MacDonald. No chiropractor, but he hasn't gotten any taller since 1975. (See 1994 Alumni Corps photos - he was the far left side quad player - I was the stiff in the middle of the quads.)

Dear Helen,

The chime player in 1975 was Eddie Jaques from Rhode Island and I know this as he lived at my house in' 75. You will never be a weak sister to me.

Peace all !!!!

Any Kiltie Alumni from 75 checking this thread?

I was curious to hear the story about the party after DCI finals. The Blue Stars and the Kilties were in the same dorm facilities. Some time after midnight several police came to the building. I was wondering what prompted that and if anything came of the visit by the men in blue?

Dear Helen,

The chime player in 1975 was Eddie Jaques from Rhode Island  and I know this as he lived at my house in' 75. You will never be a weak sister to me.

Peace all !!!!

Reporting live from the 17th floor of the Montreal Sheraton, of course I knew it was Eddie. I wrote that in another post here. For a quick flash I was thinking "bells" and not chimes. Eddie was one of our hardest and most loyal members.