Great to see Dan Guernsey posting again - how you doing, man?

Great Scouts pics, btw!

Hey, Rob! Doin good, man! Thanks for posting those pics of the Kilts. Where did you get those? Excellent quality.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4) 27th

--Yeah, "Crown Imperial" rulez!!! :lol:

--Did a cymbal player lose his sporran??

--Love the wailing bari in "Chameleon" and the wailing french horn in "Celebrate"

--BTW, "Celebrate" is by Three Dog Night, NOT Kool & The Gang--Mike Boo, fix the liner notes!!!!!

--No Lancerlegend or LancerFi???? :lol:

--I'll bet the chime player is seeing a chiropractor now!

--DOUBLE FLAGS! B)

---Crown was resurrected from 1973 - and a far more electrifying performance. There was a drill segment in the middle - during the "ballard" portion that we called "the dead bird" for it's visual resemblence. (OK everyone, take it from "the dead bird" after 4.)

--- Dropped Sporran - I don't remember.

--- The wailing bari was Phil Bunton who only marched 1975, the French horn was Dave Devine - a vet since 1971.

--- LancerLegend took 1975 off. I was admittedly a "weak sister" and burnt out from 1974. I was at the top of the lower deck in Philly however screaming my approval. I rejoined in Oct 75 for 2 more years. LancerFi was not marching yet. She was most likely home in Revere getting her wardrobe ready to go dancing that night.

--- Chime player - Kevin MacDonald. No chiropractor, but he hasn't gotten any taller since 1975. (See 1994 Alumni Corps photos - he was the far left side quad player - I was the stiff in the middle of the quads.)

6)  Oakland Crusaders

--Did you see Joel Alleyne back into the guard girl?

Yup, I sure did. (But wasn't she a field commander, not a guard person? She's shown conducting in several shots.) Seems like something goes awry for Oakland at the beginning of both '75 and '76, and both are captured on videotape. In '76, at the beginning of "Swan Lake" there's a guard file on the 50 doing a feature, then the flag line marches away from the 50, leaving the rifle line there in a file. A flag gets caught in the front rifle, causing her to be late on her next segment of work.

The thing that always catches my eye in '75, though, is the poor gal in the flag line whose flag came undone near the beginning of the show. That happened to me once in a show (this was with a double-flag, on soaking wet AstroTurf in Atlanta in '79; it was like slinging around a cannonball), and it was a real struggle just to get through the show, so I really feel for her. How awful to have that happen in finals!

--byline, did you notice the flag holders??

LOL, Dixie Cups! All the flag tunics had flaps cut open to accommodate them. Of course, once the guard stopped using the flag-holders, those flaps were no longer necessary and so had to be sewn shut.

--"Malaga" owns!!  Is that a GIRL on snare?

Yes!

I love Oakland's show from '75, but for some reason I like the '76 show a little better. It just seems more fully realized to me. Also, the guard went from wearing what look like white go-go boots in '75 to the Santa Clara-style white boots in '76; I like the latter style better. We were still wearing them by the time I marched in '78, but that changed in '79. (Argh!) Another guard change from '75 to '76: the flags are simple white . . . well, they look like bedsheets (and that was always our euphemism for big, honkin' flags), but in '76 they had the flags with the cross and two double-arcs. Needless to say, I greatly prefer the second flag design, especially since that was what we were still using in '78. Sadly, we cut the flag size down for second tour to improve timing, but it also took out part of the double-arcs so that all we had left was one arc on top and one on the bottom.

• 3 weeks later...
As you say, "Uncle Z is at it again" :)

During "Slaughter," I'm the tenor on the left end, closest to the snares. During the second half of the show, I'm generally on the far right. As for the tamborine player during "MacPark," he is my best drum corps bud. Too bad he played that thing cuz you couldn't hear it anyway with the hornline blowing their assess off. As for D. Tippet, yep, he is in that sop trio at the end (I think behind Metzger, or just to the left--I'll look at it again).

Heh!!! I'm bumping this so that when people go to the theater and see '75 Scouts, they can say to themselves "Hey, I know that tenor player from DCP"!!!!!! b**bs

1) Madison Scouts

--I heart the spinning cymbals

--Where's Dan Guernsey???

--Was that Dave Tippet on the right in the sop trio in "Slaughter"?

--Did you see Phillip?? I saw Phillip!

--I wanna know who's the snare player with the tambourine solo in "McArthur's

Park"?

What about the xylo guy?!?!?!? Man! that guy rocked! And did he have some problem with one of his legs or something?

Nobody, but nobody...did the hat/bow thing like Madison!

Well, I have the day off for working the weekend, so February in Wisconsin means one thing:  get out the Legacy DVDs!!!!!!!! :)

10)  PR

--"Phanton Regiment"????? :laugh:

--uncle z hearts "American Overture"

--Check out the concert snare--I gotta have MORE cowbell!

--Chiropractor visits scheduled for:  Big Bass Drum and the guy with the over-sized tenors...... :sshh:

--Look at the size of the soprano soloist in "American in Paris"  :huh:

"Z"

But he could wail! Or is that whale?

Rocketman - Bad Boy!

ampssuck

With all the historical talk about here lately, I sat down with the 75 DVD the other night too, since I hadn't watched it in awhile. Some things I'd forgotten about...

Madison's xylo player is wearing a red name badge. Hm.....

Finleyville's sop soloist in Amazing Grace had some pretty tasty licks - although the show is still a very odd mixture of stuff that has NOTHING to do with each other (I know, we all had shows like that, but it really seems to stand out with them).

Appreciate that Tom B. chose to include another 40 seconds or so of crowd response at the end of 27th's show, so you can hear the snare/bass trail beat as they leave the field.

Kilts' Carmina Burana was the best arrangement of the night, imho. Musically I oved their show that year (although you look at it now, and the drill is pretty weak in comparison to everyone else). Yellow Vistalite snares. Mmmmmmmmm.

The other best arrangement is Fred Sanford's first percussion feature for SCV. Short and very sweet.

SCV purists might disagree, but I think Cavies 75 arrangement of Russian Christmas Music is better than SCV's 87 version (though Lord knows, Vanguard played it better....:P )

Hot little tymp feature in Garfield's Hall of the Mountain King opener. Nice.... I don't know why, but their show seems a LOT longer than everyone elses (maybe the number and variety of tunes?)

Has any other DCI corps ever marched a concert snare or is PR alone in that distinction? I agree with Unka Z - can never have enough cowbell..

With all the historical talk about here lately, I sat down with the 75 DVD the other night too, since I hadn't watched it in awhile. Some things I'd forgotten about...

Madison's xylo player is wearing a red name badge. Hm.....

Yeah...what's up with the name tag?

Kilts' Carmina Burana was the best arrangement of the night, imho. Musically I oved their show that year (although you look at it now, and the drill is pretty weak in comparison to everyone else). Yellow Vistalite snares. Mmmmmmmmm.

Ditto on the Carmina Burana...they did have that unfortunate little phasing problem toward the end...

SCV purists might disagree, but I think Cavies 75 arrangement of Russian Christmas Music is better than SCV's 87 version (though Lord knows, Vanguard played it better....:P )

I really, really love contra lick at the end of "Russian Christmas Music." We played that arrangement that year in our HS band...very cool!

Dan Guernsey, can you fill in the details, please?? :P

That guy was 2 years before my time but I hope Dan G will confirm this, the xylo player had a prosthetic leg from the knee down on one side! I heard some stories that he was one of those types of guys who never saw any disadvantages in being handicapped. Someone even told me he competed in some high school gymnastics events.

There is no denying the guy elevated the state of the art that year.