Matched Grip- Who's next?

LuvsPAisTe

wow the last 4 post seem to have come from "rookie" drummers that no little of drum corps or just plain drumming... comparing a backwords free throw to traditional grip, seems like that statement would come from a 4th or so grader.

traditional is the grip, and i know of multiple people who are of excelled skill level that would try out for SCV, but instead go other places do to the fact of grip. (i dont like to make sence)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one runs with one arm and one leg.

that is all.

No one throws a baseball equally well with each arm. No writes equally well with both hands. No one catches a baseball equally well with both hands. No one shoots free throws with both hands. No one throws darts equally well with both hands. No one plays ping pong equally well with both hands. Quarterbacks don't throw a football equally well with both hands. Fisherman don't cast a lure equally well with both hands. No one shoots pool well from both sides. No one handles a spoon and fork equally well with each hand. Buddy Rich sure didn't have any trouble playing traditional grip. Trad grip captures the natural strong/weak makeup that almost everyone has.

I'm not anti-matched grip, but just because I like Traditional grip, does NOT make me inmature, and I have no need to get over myself.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Seroiusly friends....you think that changing GRIPS is going to affect (effect?) SCV's drum placement? It's not the grip, its the staff and the players. Murray is still there and some of the best drummers around are still there. They will be smoking, no doubt, and another drum trophy is possible if not probable.

Seroiusly friends....you think that changing GRIPS is going to affect (effect?) SCV's drum placement?  It's not the grip, its the staff and the players.  Murray is still there and some of the best drummers around are still there.  They will be smoking, no doubt, and another drum trophy is possible if not probable.

You're right, it's the staff and the PLAYERS, and a lot of great, more mature players didn't go to SCV this year because of the grip change. They have a lot of youth in the drumline, and IMO, it's probable that they will drop in placement. I'm sure they will still be good, just not the world beaters of last season.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

First Posting Ever on DCP

We all know that matched/traditional is a heated debate.

We all know that matched is a better grip.

We all know some people like traditional because that is what they are used to viewing.

I accept both of these facts.

So stop it.

Get over yourselves traditional traditionalists.

Coming from a progressive school, I was orginally taught matched grip.  The first time I saw drum corps or other wanna-be high schools played traditional, I thought it was the stupidist thing I had ever seen.  No one shoots a free throw backwards.  It looks cooler to some people, but no...

For anyone who reads these postings, and wondering about the facts on this issue, my voice is in the minority.  BUT it is the voice of truth.  The gentleman who inquired about his son taking lessons - it is easier and better to play everything with matched grip.  Do not let immature participants and instructors from high school, college, and drum corps tell you otherwise.  They have been conditioned over the years to support traditional grip.  Do what is best for your son.  Ignore all who support traditional grip, and allow your son the greatest chance for success - matched grip.

that is all.

At the risk of being "that guy," allow me to paraphrase:

"This is my first DCP post. I say matched grip is universally better. I am right. Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong."

Right. Great way to make a first impression. <**>

WHY do you believe matched is inherently better?

WHY should traditional grip be ignored?

Perhaps you can make amends by providing some clear, sound arguments as to why you believe so. "I'm right, you're wrong" doesn't cut it.

Traditional grip is not just useful on marching snare. It is also very useful for concert bass drum rolls, drumset (esp jazz), and for isolating motion in the traditionally weaker left hand for the #2 mallet in Stevens' grip.

A good percussionist learns ALL accepted methods. A good percussionist is versatile and can switch techniques when necessary. Limiting one to matched grip only is like never teaching someone how to drive a stick-shift.

Seroiusly friends....you think that changing GRIPS is going to affect (effect?) SCV's drum placement?  It's not the grip, its the staff and the players.  Murray is still there and some of the best drummers around are still there.  They will be smoking, no doubt, and another drum trophy is possible if not probable.

I agree with Quadzkid....Palying Match in 2 great lines(Conn.,& 27)....I played tradish for 10+years,before the transformation to match...It took about a year to master the left hand, to catch up with the right....If SCV dose not win drums...It's not because of the grip...It's the inexspirence of the line,and not playing well togeather..Remember SCV won drums a few times playing match...So if not this year,they will win the next:)IMO

Mo!