Matched Grip- Who's next?

LuvsPAisTe

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, SCV does a Matched grip change once a decade I think, then they go back to classic Vanguard with tilted Snares, Trad. grip and everyone getting back on the bandwagon. One Question for the guys out there: Why is matched grip a bad thing? Is it the fact that matched looks too pathetic? Or is it that you miss the tilt? In any case, get over it and actually pay attantion to what wil be played and not what will be seen. I predict third for SCV Perc. based on the youth in the line and the staff shake up with Cassella being released.

I'm not sure if I have been reading these threads correctly but if you're playing snare slanted, wouldn't it be more advantageous to use traditional grip? I mean, that is the reason traditional grip exists. Drums were carried on slings, and being slanted, this necessitated the use of traditional grip. Since drums today are mounted onto carriers and, for the most part, NOT played slanted, matched grip makes more sense.

:blink:

Hey, being a brass guy can someone enlighten me as to the pros and cons of traditional vs. matched grip. My son has been taking set drum lessons for the past few years and his exposure has been completely matched grip. Back in my DC days it was entirely traditional. Can you play double stroke rolls as easily with matched? I have heard that a technically accomplished snare drummer's left hand is more efficient since with traditional the hand has mechanical advantage imparted by the lever action as opposed to the mallett grip of matched.

I have also heard the historical reason for traditional grip, as stated above, being that the sling carriage necessitated it because of the head's tilt. Is there any other technical reason, i.e. faster rolls and rudiments, for traditional grip or is it simply tradition?

ok, to answer jlhiatt, SCV is going to the reg. drum angle with a downward tilt to aid the Matched Grip. Any respected Percussionist who can play all instruments will say that it is a good idea to know Matched and Traditional so one can switch easily from instrument to instrument/ drum to drum.

I have also heard the historical reason for traditional grip, as stated above, being that the sling carriage necessitated it because of the head's tilt. Is there any other technical reason, i.e. faster rolls and rudiments, for traditional grip or is it simply tradition?

From the standpoint of ergonomics, it's actually easier to play matched than traditional. It takes so long for a drummer to get comfortable with the traditional grip. You use muscles you don't normally use, in a way you don't normally use them. The Carrier negated the need for "traditional" grip.

If you ask 'why would people still use it?", just look at what it's called. It's like setting off fireworks in the first week of July, and drinking heavily LABOR DAY WEEKEND......TRADITION.

The tilting of SCV's snares was the smartest thing I ever saw. So smart (and simple) that I NEVER THOUGHT OF IT. FRIGGIN' GENIUS. The players actually learned WHY the left hand grip is the way it is. I am shocked that EVERYBODY ELSE doesn't do it.

I know that tilting snares NOW would seem like jumping on the bandwagon, BUT so was getting CARRIERS. IT MAKES THE JOB EASIER. Believe it or not SLINGS STILL WORK. They suck, but they work. I know that nobody wants the appearance of BEING ON THE BANDWAGON, but I hoped that this was one that people would jump on. IT'S RIGHT and IT MAKES SENSE.

Just an old drummers opinion.......I have many.

I don't believe there's any real benefit of one over the other. I would guess that if there were it would probably be in favour of matched because of the amount of finger control you have.

It's gotta be down to a preference as to which you use.

For example I use trad primarily because I prefer the way it looks. I do agree, though, that to get to that tru mastery of an instrument that we all aspire to you should be able to play everything in both matched and traditional, just the same as you should be able to play with left or right hand lead.

Peace.