Matched Grip- Who's next?

LuvsPAisTe

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I was a "traditionalist" re grip, I have no problems with a snare line going matched grip - I just wasn't any good doing hard core rudimental snare drumming with matched grip, but that doesn't mean others can't do it!

Whatever works, man! Just play it clean!

Is there a variation among match grips out there like there is in the traditional grip? I was taught to hold the left stick in the traditional "East Coast Style" with the middle finger extended and the little finger curled with the thumb pushing down on the index finger. I see very little variation in match grips. Heck, nuthin' to argue about there.

Is there a variation among match grips out there like there is in the traditional grip?  I was taught to hold the left stick in the traditional "East Coast Style"  with the middle finger extended and the little finger curled with the thumb pushing down on the index finger.  I see very little variation in match grips.  Heck, nuthin' to argue about there.

Throw some french grip in there.

• 1 month later...
SCV's snare line is going matched grip this season, as most here know. They started the trend in the late 70's and many followed. Any predictions as to who's going to be the next snareline to do it too? It's probably too late for this season, but maybe 2006?

My baseless prediction:

Div I  - Blue Knights

Div II - Impulse and SCV Cadets

Div III- Mystikal

.....or, will SCV return to traditional grip next year?

I think SCV will return to traditional grip after dropping ........?? places in drums in 05..... IMO

Edited by oldtimedrummer

• 3 weeks later...

First Posting Ever on DCP

We all know that matched/traditional is a heated debate.

We all know that matched is a better grip.

We all know some people like traditional because that is what they are used to viewing.

I accept both of these facts.

So stop it.

Get over yourselves traditional traditionalists.

Coming from a progressive school, I was orginally taught matched grip. The first time I saw drum corps or other wanna-be high schools played traditional, I thought it was the stupidist thing I had ever seen. No one shoots a free throw backwards. It looks cooler to some people, but no...

For anyone who reads these postings, and wondering about the facts on this issue, my voice is in the minority. BUT it is the voice of truth. The gentleman who inquired about his son taking lessons - it is easier and better to play everything with matched grip. Do not let immature participants and instructors from high school, college, and drum corps tell you otherwise. They have been conditioned over the years to support traditional grip. Do what is best for your son. Ignore all who support traditional grip, and allow your son the greatest chance for success - matched grip.

that is all.

Geneva -

I am giving you the intelligent and correct answer that you deserve.

In the best interest of your son, have him use matched grip.

There is no circumstance under which traditional grip should be used, In all cases matched is superior. To specifically answer your question, it is EASIER to play double stroke rolls with matched grip.

that is all.

A snare is pretty much one of the only drums that people use traditional grip for. If you teach him to play match grip, he'll be able to have better chops on a keyboard or nearly any other drum, if he so chooses, as well.

Edit: I like traditional grip and I enjoy seeing all the lines who use it, but I'll most likely enjoy all the lines that decide to go to match grip in the future as well.

Edited by Carl306