Strange things that happen on the Field

Have you ever seen something happen during a show or retreat that made you go HUH???? You know, the stuff that wasn't suppose to happen but did anyways.

For example, I know a couple of guys when I marched in Royalaires who would take latex gloves and, um, er, other types of latex type objects that were NOT balloons on the field with them during retreat. During the boring parts, they would stretch these objects over their heads until it covered to their noses and inflate them until they were huge and flew off of their heads. Always good for a laugh... the announcer always thought that everyone was laughing at his lame jokes. :sshh:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember 78 DCI night finals...... hot night.... Cavies were on..... National party in their perspective corner.... the poor guy carrying the National flag faints!!!! I was sitting about 2 rows up from them and saw the whole thing... the poor guy lying on the ground, the flag being held at a 45 degree angle... the nurse comes running over, SALUTES the flag, then takes it away from the poor kid and hands it to one of the N.P. guards before attending to the semi concious guy lying there. :rolleyes:

This happened in 1975 Marion, OHIO, finals of the U.S. Open, Madison Scouts were on the field. We were sitting in the end zone, when one of the national party

flag bearers just walks off the field, leaving his flag with one of the others.

What happened?? I'd like to know!!!!!

Edited by ODBC

I think I remember that incident. I was watching from about the 40 high in the stands.

the one bearing the colors appeared to be having a seizure - he started swaying, having a hard time controlling the standard, almost dropping it. most of the crowd was fixed on him. One of the DMs I think came over and relieved him of the colors, and he stepped off the field onto the endzone where medical personnel were waiting for him to drop.

If I recall, he almost stepped off the front sideline several times with the flag - big penalty that the TP judge was watching for closely, along with a hefty deduction if he let the flag touch the ground.

never did hear the actual story tho.

Edited by lipsprain

Judge traps were fun. We had one written into the show to trap the drum judge between the snares and basses with the cymbals and tenors converging to fill the middle. Worked almost every time. Once, a drum judge got seriously clobbered by a pair of cymbals and had to scramble under a bass drum to escape.

Judge traps were fun.  We had one written into the show to trap the drum judge between the snares and basses with the cymbals and tenors converging to fill the middle.  Worked almost every time.  Once, a drum judge got seriously clobbered by a pair of cymbals and had to scramble under a bass drum to escape.

We had a move like that-We had a "Rockford File" type gaurd move right at the beginning of the show, and the percussion ex. judge mould always stand right in front of the snare line on the back sideline, right between two flags. Every show we'd warn him-Every show(since judges listened to you so well back then) WHAP!! Some people never learn! :rolleyes:

I remember 78 DCI night finals...... hot night.... Cavies were on..... National party in their perspective corner.... the poor guy carrying the National flag faints!!!! I was sitting about 2 rows up from them and saw the whole thing... the poor guy lying on the ground, the flag being held at a 45 degree angle... the nurse comes running over, SALUTES the flag, then takes it away from the poor kid and hands it to one of the N.P. guards before attending to the semi concious guy lying there. :rolleyes:

Correct except for the year. It was '77. No one could figure out why the other kid in the nerd sqad wasn't stepping in to do anything, but from what I can remember, one or both of them had been called up from the feeder corps earlier in the summer, so were probably pretty young.

At a retreat in Wisconsin during some town's Cheese Festival or Bratwurst Days, a clown was wandering among the corps during retreat, having/making fun of all the members in the various corps, trying to get them to laugh while at parade rest. He got to the corps I was with just as the DM called horns up for playing ourselves off, and one of the contras NAILED this guy in the face with his horn coming up. THAT finally got some of us laughing.... ^0^

I have another one for you all. Did you know that the tympanist who played in the pit with Royalaires in 86 was BLIND? Yep, Mike Sajuiski (sp?), had perfect pitch and kept tempo by listening to the DM's feet on the podium, could take his seeing eye dog, Finnigan, into the pit area with him ( is there a ruling on this?) so Finn assisted Mike to the area outside of the pit, then the DM would lead him to his drums. We got alot of strange looks going through this procedure, and Mike got a big kick out of it.

Sadly enough, Mike passed away a couple of years after he marched.