Star of Indiana Rehearsals

Now THAT I can believe!

j/k ;-)

thanks for the awesome response...I've always been fascinated by how corps operate.

Sure they're roughly 85% the same, but that 15% or so that's unique to each group is what sets them apart.

I just want to re-iterate, I meant no disrespect to BD - they are a very cool corps, and a fierce competetor.

I have heard that Cadets operate on 5 hour rehearsal blocks (and have seen the food truck schedule and talked to members to confirm it), but that's what you expect when you go there. That means that while most get in about 12 hours on a rehearsal day, they're getting in roughly 15.

Not saying its right or wrong, just saying that's how they do it.

Star rehearsals were easy, if you did what you were told and did it on time.

4 to 5 hour rehearsal blocks. Visual in the morning. Sectionals in the afternoon and ensemble in the evening. If there was a noise law we would wrap up the day with more visual or dance with Wesley Johnson or Phil Burton. I remember a lot of 7 AM to midnight days.

Bring a hat, dot book, charts and music, sunscreen, pencil, and a water jug full of water or be prepared to run. Free will is great.

Be prepared to play for "show and tell" in front of the whole horn line. Be prepared to be the only one playing one the field during a chunk run. Be prepared to perform!

Do what you are told and no one will get hurt! The biggest lessons I ever learned in life can be explained in short statements like,"The Day of 1000 Dah's." At some point in the summer, it only takes a motion of the hand to send us trotting around some track at some high school in some small town, USA.

Learn to do a push up, repeat! Need I say more.

When you hear, "Oh Boy!" from the drum staff in a multiple numbers of styles and rhythms, it is never a good thing.

As difficult as it was, I have my rewards in the form of trophies and wins. I even got a little T.V. time in 1993. But most of all, I got a serious education of brass performance, music education, ensemble timing, business practices, and so much more.

Star was unlike anything I have ever experienced. I miss it, but I would much rather pass along the information than relive the glory days.

I did not march for G. Zingali. He died before the start of the 1992 season. The most moving moment of the summer was the rehearsal in Beverly, Mass after the vets were allowed to go see the grave. There are memories from that field that I will never forget, people who made those memories special.

Thanks Joey Weaver.

Russell Shartzer

92 93 Contra

Marion Glory Brass Staff

In 84, we had Rob Carson (for those who might not be familiar, again, Rob marched snare with SCV, and won individuals a couple of times - an awesome player) come over from California, when our snareline was really executing well, and he had us doing a lot of mental exercises - meditation, holding hands, chanting, etc - to get us to the next level. It seemed VERY strange, and we were totally skeptical of it. However, more and more frequently as the season progressed, the entire line went into what I usually call "the zone", and just had basically perfect shows - it was like floating on air, and you could not even feel time passing. So, I started believing in the mental aspect of it all. I still can get that deep concentration today, and use it to get a crapload of work done in a short period, or to tie strategies together on the projects I manage.

I remember that well. My first year in SC I was 13 and was sort of following along and a bit skeptical, but it worked. I would personally get into the zone so heavily that the only performances I can remember were crappy ones. I use it now for all sorts of things. Thanks for reminding me of that. I miss Rob sometimes.

I remember that well. My first year in SC I was 13 and was sort of following along and a bit skeptical, but it worked. I would personally get into the zone so heavily that the only performances I can remember were crappy ones. I use it now for all sorts of things. Thanks for reminding me of that. I miss Rob sometimes.

Wow - you were in some great SCV years!

Rob won the individuals snare title in 73, and Steve Chorazy in 75. I have a recording of Steve's solo from 75 - what a player he was too.

Cheers,

Edited by RickCogley

The biggest lessons I ever learned in life can be explained in short statements like,"The Day of 1000 Dah's."

Hi Russell - isn't that true though. I find it's easy to get the point across to people on projects I manage if I use simple phrases, and concentrate on perhaps getting one behavior right during one time period, and then switching to the next thing. If you give people too much at once, they sort of ignore it all.

Very interesting to hear your observations - thanks!

Wow - you were in some great SCV years!

Was Rob in the line then or instructing?

Cheers,

In fact, I think SCV won drums all three of those years?

Some famous stuff in those books - "the clock" and "YPG."

In fact, I think SCV won drums all three of those years?

Some famous stuff in those books - "the clock" and "YPG."

A-yup....

My favorite was, "Birds of Fire". It went through so many different versions before it was finalized. I was just watching it on DVD and I still get a thrill from it.

I have heard that Cadets operate on 5 hour rehearsal blocks (and have seen the food truck schedule and talked to members to confirm it), but that's what you expect when you go there.  That means that while most get in about 12 hours on a rehearsal day, they're getting in roughly 15.

Most corps, on average, don't come anywhere close to averaging 12 hours of rehearsal a day on tour. Not sure where that one came from. More like 6-8 if they are lucky. And I'm talking about actual rehearsal time without food breaks, etc. On a day when there isn't a show, then they can average anywhere from 9-12 depending on travel time to the next site.

As for Cadets 5 hour blocks ON TOUR, they are few and far between. They do rehearse a lot, and they are intense when they rehearse, but the only time they could ever pull off 5 hour blocks in their day is if it was a rehearsal day, and even then it's more like 4 hour blocks with meal breaks in between. Point is, they are definitely the exception rather than the norm.

In '85, things were a little tight schedule-wise due to us being the rookie corps and usually opening the show. We didn't have the luxury of going on late and having a few extra hours of rehearsal time. (See the end of the day below)

This was a typical schedule for us that year. It varied as our showtime or arrival at a school varied, but usually by no more than an hour:

7:00 Wake up from Moe

7:00-8:00 Breakfast/shower pick up rewrite chahts

8:00 Field for stretches

8:30 Visual Rehearsal w/rewrites (horns, chaht & dot books, watah bottles)

11:45 Visual runthrough

12-1 Lunch

1-3 Sectionals (Brass, Guard, Percussion)This could be another visual rehearsal w/a warmup at the beginning if Zingali were with us.

3-5 Ensemble (finish with at least 1 dry runthrough then a full runthrough)

5 Shower, Pack busses and truck

6 Arrive at show unload for warmup

7:30 First corps on... (maybe play anthem before the show)

7:45 Set up equipment block

7:50 Eat

10:30 Pack up busses, head to next town sleeping on bus

2:30-3:00 Unload at next school, grab some floor time

Repeat as necessary... b**bs

(Prelim/finals days for regionals were basically perform first, rehearse middle, perform finals, move on)

Edited by StarContra4-85