Star of Indiana Rehearsals

I am interested to hear more of BD practice regime.  When I marched I heard that at ever rehearsal the staff set objectives and once those objectives had been reached rehearsal was over, whether it took 2 hours or 8.  Is this true?

That DID happen in 82...Ask Rob Brown.

In 84 I don't ever remember getting out earlyu, but the rehersal was fairly relaxed. The staff rarely had to come down on us...we knew what was expected of us (or the vets made iut clear to the rookies like me), and we did it. We laughed at our mistakes, then went on...we never gfot yelled at for blowing part of chart in the arc.

I am interested to hear more of BD practice regime.  When I marched I heard that at ever rehearsal the staff set objectives and once those objectives had been reached rehearsal was over, whether it took 2 hours or 8.  Is this true?

I think that would be a fair characterization of the Devils' rehearsal method in the 1980's. I can't speak for anything of late, of course...

I do remember that the rehearsals at Devils were by far the most professionally run of any organization I have ever been associated with. The staff did what they needed to. They always stated the day's objectives, and told us WHY we needed to do something instead of the dreaded, "Just do it again!" syndrome many corps have.

Rarely was there ever a raised voice or yelling, and the members took the initiative to ensure everyone was on-task all the time.

At the same time, though it was always fun....something that cannot be said for other groups I've been with.

Edited by Kamarag

Rehearsal? :music:

Did we rehearse? :worthy:

Yep... we practiced all the time.

I have a vivid memory of George Zingali telling us, "If you ever have 5 minutes to spare, use that 5 minutes to sit down and rest, because you're gonna need it."

He was right, of course. We worked hard all the time. Free time was almost mythic it was so rare, and we still had fun doing it. Yes it was really tough most of the time, but we had a fantastic time!

Edited by A Huge Nerd

Rehearsal?  :music:

Did we rehearse?  :worthy:

Yep... we practiced all the time. 

I have a vivid memory of George Zingali telling us, "If you ever have 5 minutes to spare, use that 5 minutes to sit down and rest, because you're gonna need it."

He was right, of course.  We worked hard all the time.  Free time was almost mythic it was so rare, and we still had fun doing it.  Yes it was really tough most of the time, but we had a fantastic time!

I venture practice in 1990 and 1991 must have been brutal. Two of my favorite shows ever (along with '98 SCV). Those are probably my top 3. Where were you in 1989?