the DCI yearlys: 1981

Well well! 1981! SCV rocked the world with "A young persons guide to drum corps".

Tornado watches were monitored by the captains in my corps, and Montreal was a site to remember as record crowds attended.

What are your memories?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

being accepted as a member of the vanguard.

wearing the uniform for the first time. (superman suits!)

beating the blue devils early in the season at the antioch show.

blue devils guard uniform for 81!

going on tour and seeing the other major corps for the first time. it was amazing to be in such company.

learning "send in the clowns"

charlie anderson ("dream" "drum corps is the correlation of seemingly unrelated events")

the amazing jonz line.

rick south playing "fiddler" for us on his old piston/rotor bari as we entered olympic stadium.

playing clowns for gail at our championship victory concert.

the victory party. (okay, okay, that doesn't really count as a memory since i don't remember that much of it.)

the amazing trip home from montreal to california (niagra falls, the wonderful party thrown for us by a small town in upstate new york, mt. rushmore, hornline practice in the painted desert - just because it was there, night in yellowstone, sneaking into a motel in jackson hole, wy, to take a shower)

awards dinner and rookie of the year.

not a bad way to spend a summer when you were 16 years old!

My age-out year!

Finally winning our own show(Key to The Sea)

The corps getting in a little trouble at American International because SOMEONE never took into consideration that if we should win Class"A"(we did) that we were required to perform an exhibition the following night at "Open" class finals. Our schedule however had us in Hamilton Ont. the morning after Class "A" finals for DCI Canada prelims. All of this resulted in a late night escape from Butler Pa. and I believe,the forfieture of some prize money.

The ride to Hamilton was so long that we got there 20 mins. before our prelim time. We were warming up on the busses. That night at finals, the skies opened up and the judges stopped our show twice after we started. the third time it happened, our staff waved us to keep going, and we performed what was by far our best show of the year! The Crowd stayed in the stands until we were finished and we got a thunderous ovation. As we were coming off the field and going under the stands for cover, the other corps were cheering us. Although we wound up finishing 3rd, That was the most memorable show of the year!

Oh Yeah, The HORRIBLE acoustics in Olympic Stadium!

Edited by Bob Brady

1981 was my age out year too. I remember having a day off so most of us headed for old town Montreal to sample some real food.

I do remember the nights being very chilly.....hard to believe it was Aug.

We stayed in the University of Montreal? Which was nice having a room and bed all to yourself.....it almost felt awkward after sharing a gym floor all summer. The only bad thing was many of the bathrooms were co-ed!

We shared our practice field with Madison Scouts as they were staying in the same dorms. We also shared our food from our chuck wagon with them too. The day of prelims, both corps sat and watched each other practiced and cheered one another on.

The day of finals DCI let all the top 12 corps practice in the Olympic stadium......they thought acoustics woiuld be a problem. I didn't see so much of a problem after fans started filling the seats that night.....over 40,000 wooo hooo! :blink:

After going all season without dropping anything......my hat was whipped off after the first 32 counts in the opener! ^0^ My flag got caught on the Maltese Cross and pulled it off! I didn't let it affect my performance though and I didn't drop anything else after that! :music:

Edited by Malibu

1981 was my age out year. It was kind of a dissappointing season because of the success we had in 1980 and as a corps we were unable to get back to that level.

It stinks the fact that there were no videos from finals. Instead it was from DCI

midwest with Carmine Appacice(sp?) sounding like he smoke a pound of hash

before the show.

The only bright spot was that we went undefeated in drums that year.

Hated Olympic stadium. Sounded like I was playing in an echo chamber.

Although we did play a three ticker and got a 19.5 in finals.

I remember after that performance it really hit me hard knowing that my junior corps career was over. I cried like a wuss.

Winning the DCI Class A Championship.

ONLY 'CAUSE WE WENT OPEN CLASS!! ^0^

Sorry! couldn't help myself

:blink:

Honestly,I remember being a little surprised that we beat you guys at Butler! You had a #### of a hornline! Didn't you guys also win Class "A" at Midwest in Whitewater that year?

1981 was my age out year. It was kind of a dissappointing season because of the success we had in 1980 and as a corps we were unable to get back to that level.

It stinks the fact that there were no videos from finals. Instead it was from DCI

midwest with Carmine Appacice(sp?) sounding like he smoke a pound of hash

before the show.

The only bright spot was that we went undefeated in drums that year.

Hated Olympic stadium. Sounded like I was playing in an echo chamber.

Although we did play a three ticker and got a 19.5 in finals.

I remember after that performance it really hit me hard knowing that my junior corps career was over. I cried like a wuss.

Jim, Dawn (in your guard) told me the same thing.....that she hated the '81 season and almost quit for good.

As far as videos, we were fortunate to have a staffer video our prelims & finals performance.

There are prelim videos available. I bought one two months ago off of ebay.

Jim, Dawn (in your guard) told me the same thing.....that she hated the '81 season and almost quit for good.

As far as videos, we were fortunate to have a staffer video our prelims & finals performance.

There are prelim videos available. I bought one two months ago off of ebay.

I didn't know about the prelim recording. I'll have to look for one.

1981 was tough because we lost alot of age outs from 80 and the new

members did not understand what it took to be Bridgemen. Plus we had an administration that did not know how to run a drum corps. We did not have a food truck, we always had to hope something was open after a contest so we can eat some tasty McDonalds before an 8 hour bus ride.

Speaking of Dawn, we were just down at their house last weekend. Had a great time.

Hey, is that you on the cover of the program you posted?