Otis Air Force Base

I've heard that they'll be closing Otis Air Force Base, along with many others. :(

I can remember being there in 1968 & 69 and staying the weekend with the corps. They were GODS to me, all of them, as a matter of fact I got all of their autographs one of those years.

Later, in the Reveries we marched the "Cooties Parade".....OK, so you MA people, remember doing that parade? I believe Boston may have been there one year!

It's a shame that all of those bases are going to be closed. Great memories of that particular one!

I've heard that they'll be closing Otis Air Force Base, along with many others.  :(

I can remember being there in 1968 & 69 and staying the weekend with the corps.  They were GODS to me, all of them, as a matter of fact I got all of their autographs one of those years.

Later, in the Reveries we marched the "Cooties Parade".....OK, so you MA people, remember doing that parade?  I believe Boston may have been there one year!

It's a shame that all of those bases are going to be closed.  Great memories of that particular one!

Hey Fi,

I marched my first "cootie" in 1970, We marched and then got right on the busses, in costumes, to drive all night to The Shriner's in Toronto. Most of us were still in our costumes when we made the first whiz stop on the NY Thruway. I remember Duffy still dressed as the Easter Bunny getting a sandwich and coffee, and Peggy Twiggs dressed as a nun bumming a smoke!

Here's your pop quiz: Before the 1969 Cooties parade, who is credited with saying, "But George, I'm a guided missile, REALLY!" ???

bonus point: What was he really dressed up as?

BTW, I hereby nominate LancerFi as imperial exalted queen of DCP, second anyone?

*sigh* My old base (Griffiss AFB, Rome, NY) was closed sometime in the 90s...

I remember when they had the last Woodstock festival there. MTV made a big deal about a fenced-in "artist's enclave" at one end of the old runway...I wonder if any of those guys knew what the BIG red circles painted on the tarmac meant....the ones the size of a B-52 ('cause that's what they were drawn around)

*raises glass* Here's to the Griff (particularly trhe 485th Enginnering & Installation Group...my old unit). Good times.

Sigh... Vacationed in Portsmouth, NH a few weeks ago.

And vacationed near New London/Groton, CT a few years ago.

Both got big "on the scene" reports from NBC News tonight. Man are those areas going to take a beating.

PS - If anyone has ever flown into Harrisburg (PA) International then you were at the old Olmstead Air Force Base which was closed in the early/mid 60s. When Uncle Sam spent a bunch of money re-doing the runways, everyone thought the base was safe. Few months later everything was to be turned over to the state.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Hey Fi,

I marched my first "cootie" in 1970, We marched and then got right on the busses, in costumes, to drive all night to The Shriner's in Toronto. Most of us were still in our costumes when we made the first whiz stop on the NY Thruway. I remember Duffy still dressed as the Easter Bunny getting a sandwich and coffee, and Peggy Twiggs dressed as a nun bumming a smoke!

Here's your pop quiz: Before the 1969 Cooties parade, who is credited with saying, "But George, I'm a guided missile, REALLY!" ???

bonus point: What was he really dressed up as?

BTW, I hereby nominate LancerFi as imperial exalted queen of DCP, second anyone?

OK, I'll Second. I marched enough years with Nancy to feel secure with her as "imperial exalted queen of DCP"

I've heard that they'll be closing Otis Air Force Base, along with many others.  :(

I can remember being there in 1968 & 69 and staying the weekend with the corps.  They were GODS to me, all of them, as a matter of fact I got all of their autographs one of those years.

Later, in the Reveries we marched the "Cooties Parade".....OK, so you MA people, remember doing that parade?  I believe Boston may have been there one year!

It's a shame that all of those bases are going to be closed.  Great memories of that particular one!

By the way, it's just a recommendation at this point. So there is hope. Billy Solari used to take us down there on weekends, just cuz (he was in the ANG if you recall). He actually was considered AWOL in 80 when he went on tour with us (guess he missed a few weekend camps). According to Billy, they sent him to Yugoslavia for a time in 81 as punishment.

I heard today that Fort Monroe is going to be closing too. What ashamed...it was fortified in 1609 and has been active since 1823!

Edited by Malibu

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps we should name Nancy "Crown Imperial" queen. :angry: I remember a Cootie parade I did in the I.C. Reveries out in Agawam. Best costume was Tina Coviello (guard member) as Big Bird.