Back Breakers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read my post again. *winks*

I'm talking about the ones with the scoops molded right onto the shells of the toms.... you know, they looked like a bent megaphone on steroids...... :P

I'm talking about the ones with the scoops molded right onto the shells of the toms.... you know, they looked like a bent megaphone on steroids...... :P

Do you mean these?.....North Drums

Tony ;-)

http://home.earthlink.net/~attinasi/northdrums.html

1975 Hawthorne Cabs and RI Matadors both had 3 or 4 guys carrying steel drums of various sizes in their show. Cabs guys carried one per player but Mats guys were carting around a pair of drums with nothing more than a crap load of straps.

First show of the year is an exhibition at Mount Carmel, PA and my buddy and I are standing at the front sideline. Matadors are performing and are just at the beginning of their concert formation. Then we see the guy carrying the biggest set of steel drums stop and then just go to his knees and keel over forward. The drums hit the ground first and he's stuck at a 45 degree angle hunched over. All we could figure was his back went out as he was talking to the people trying to get him out of the Rube Goldburg contraption he was tied into.

Wierd scene - bunch of people on their knees and elbows trying to get this guy (carefully) unharnessed while the whole corps is playing their guts out all around. And it's going on 15-20 feet right in front of us.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Scoops went straight THEN curved out, looked like part of a ship. Players had to be pretty tall or lean back so the scoops wouldn't drag the ground.

Edit: Oops - just checked out the North Drums link - yep :blink:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Scoops went straight THEN curved out, looked like part of a ship. Players had to be pretty tall or lean back so the scoops wouldn't drag the ground.

Edit: Oops - just checked out the North Drums link - yep  :huh:

Yep... THOSE are the monsters I am refering to :blink:

How about these puppies?77senoptim7.jpg

Yep... THOSE are the monsters I am refering to  :blink:

Sunrisers used them in 1981.....

Tony ;-)