The instrumentation change happened in 1980. The middle voices in '79 were still traditional mellophones. In '80 the mellos were replaced with the combination of alto horns and french horns. The flugals were not added until '81. However, 3rd sopranos were never really eliminated. Also, the lead sopranos were often playing split parts, so this effectively gave Tony Yaklich as many as 7 upper voice parts to use. This was most apparent in the jazz power chords we used in warm-ups.

Wow, thanks for the insider info. Just got my 79-81 DCA CDs a few weeks ago. Time for some comparisons. :worthy:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the clarification on the instrumentation (that was my drummers perspective, but that clears it all up rather nicely!)

(not to mention the foggy memories from those days.....)

That hornline didn't NEED to get loud to sound nice..it was the control that made it what it was!

Even a few years later when I marched, one of the things I admired about the hornline was the control it had, I remember the horns playing run thoughs of the show at certain volumes to keep a level of control (and save lips I'm sure) while the drumline was playing full out. That was always impressive!

The 1980 hornline was often compared to the top DCI lines at that time. In fact, Ken Turner, former DCI and DCA judge nicknamed the Bucs the "Blue Crew East", a reference to the Blue Devils.

The instrumentation change happened in 1980. The middle voices in '79 were still traditional mellophones. In '80 the mellos were replaced with the combination of alto horns and french horns. The flugals were not added until '81. However, 3rd sopranos were never really eliminated. Also, the lead sopranos were often playing split parts, so this effectively gave Tony Yaklich as many as 7 upper voice parts to use. This was most apparent in the jazz power chords we used in warm-ups.

Jaminbenb, you mentioned the pleasure of watching the hornline warm up. While it's true we often attracted a crowd during our warm-ups, Tony would rarely let us play at full volume. I remember one amusing incident about this is 1980. Don't remember where the show was. Pepe Nataro of the Hurricanes was among the spectators. We were running through part of the tune 'One Voice' but as usual Tony stopped us before we reached the peak of the song. Pepe apparently thought Tony was intentionally teasing the audience and brought a roar of laughter from the crowd when he said, in that wonderful Godfather-like voice..."Ah, come on Tony. Let the boys play!"

:worthy:  B)  Hey Guys...It should be obvious by now...The Bucs historically have had tremendously talented hornlines....and to really pick one from decades of excellence is pointless....although 80 is awesome so were lines from the 60's and 70's(when I played there) and this years rumor has it is good also... B)  B)

"Reading's Hornlines":

One of "Their Best" was the one they had in 1965, the year of the first DCA Championship, which they won. 1968's hornline was just as good, and they won their second DCA title that season.

Elphaba

Despite the fact that I am just a rookie this year, I think that I can add some insight to this conversation.

Having been a Drum Corps fan since about Middle School (I'm 20 now) I got the chance to hear a lot of corps over the years, including my share of DCA shows. Always in my heart I knew I wanted to be a Buccaneer, and this year I finally grabbed the dream.

Despite the fact that I love Bucs, and would NEVER march anywhere else competitively, I still love to hear other corps and their styles. For example

My favorite DCA show ever, is 1987 Sunrisers

I'm a huge screaming trumpet fan, and a huge fan of Latin music, so Cabs' shows have always made me smile (especially this years alumni... wow)

All these things show that despite the fact that I am a Buccaneer for life, I can still enjoy other corps and give them a huge round of applause despite the fact that I would never march with them.

• 5 weeks later...

See Below. Im one of those rare people from back "then"...lol who switched. I just wanted to march with my favorite corps. Ever since the 72 show I always loved Bucs despite the competition and My time in Reading was the happiest of all the years I spent in Drum Corps. I have no regrets

They did sound more like an orchestra than a "hornline", that sums it up best. They specialized in balance and control better than anyone to date.

Again, just my opinion.

Mike C

It's apples and oranges Mike. I listen to all 3 years and I wonder how did this corp ever lose a show. I got lucky alot of the people from 79-81 were still there when I went over in 84. I learned more about music in my years with Bucs then then at any time in my life.

Panting, panting.....can't wait till next week....God I can't wait.