74 Madison

It wasn't at all uncommon.

Some people found it easier to use their thumb vs. their forefinger.

I used my middle finger for the rotor :)

I was watching the prelims video from 74 scouts. Is it me or does the soprano soloist(Chad?)play the rotor with his thumb instead of his index finger?

The soloist's name was Chris Metzger, one of the all-time great drum corps screamers. I think the thumb/rotor combination was more commonly used by baritone players for the additional support which the grip provided to the heavier horn. Personally, I used my index finger on the rotor (soprano), but it was whatever you personally found comfortable which was the way to go. :P

The soloist's name was Chris Metzger, one of the all-time great drum corps screamers. I think the thumb/rotor combination was more commonly used by baritone players for the additional support which the grip provided to the heavier horn. Personally, I used my index finger on the rotor (soprano), but it was whatever you personally found comfortable which was the way to go.  :P

1978/79 Westshoremen played Kentons "Granada Smoothie" which has a pair of nasty (for late '70s DCA) 16th note runs. New horn instructor wanted all the Baris to play the rotor with the finger as "No way in #### your thumb can move that fast on the release". At the time the Baris were about evenly split on finger or thumb. Guy went thru the Baris one by one to "prove" that thumb rotoring didn't work. His jaw dropped when the thumb players were just as clean as the finger players. (Of course playing that way for years helped too.)

I played with my thumb because for some reason my wrist felt more comfortable. Maybe some day I'll try out another P/R job to remember why I felt that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Madison 74 is one of the screamiest shows I've ever heard. fantastic. That show seemed to lay a lot of the groundwork for the sheer unadulterated power of the next year.