New Grand Finale

Forgive me folks...  I never went on tour.

How is it the corps can hit the road quicker when you have to wait for the DM's before you can leave?  Is it more an equipment issue than a personnel one?

There's a big difference, in terms of time, between 100 or so people changing out of uniform, loading instruments and equipment, etc., and just two people changing out of uniform. The more people doing it, the longer it takes. If you've got all that squared away by the time the drum majors return, they can change and get ready fairly quickly, and you're ready to roll.

I'll ask a question I asked in the Evansville show thread:

I'm not real wild about the new way of doing retreat, but I can understand the principle of it: giving corps more time to eat, wind down and get ready to travel to their next show. But it seems to shortchange those corps who do come onto the field to do a finale/encore performance. How do they pick the corps who do this? Is done on a rotating basis? Because obviously, if the same corps end up having to handle these responsibilities, then the principle for eliminating retreat is not being applied to them, and that's unfair.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a big difference, in terms of time, between 100 or so people changing out of uniform, loading instruments and equipment, etc., and just two people changing out of uniform. The more people doing it, the longer it takes. If you've got all that squared away by the time the drum majors return, they can change and get ready fairly quickly, and you're ready to roll.

I'll ask a question I asked in the Evansville show thread:

I'm not real wild about the new way of doing retreat, but I can understand the principle of it: giving corps more time to eat, wind down and get ready to travel to their next show. But it seems to shortchange those corps who do come onto the field to do a finale/encore performance. How do they pick the corps who do this? Is done on a rotating basis? Because obviously, if the same corps end up having to handle these responsibilities, then the principle for eliminating retreat is not being applied to them, and that's unfair.

Absolutely correct on the time difference it takes for two people to change as opposed to a full corps. That and having the equipment truck loaded and secure for travel by the time the drum major returns is going to get you on the road at least an hour sooner.

My understanding is that the encore presentation is done on a rotating basis and the corps are pre-assigned that responsibility.

And yes, as a fan I really miss the full retreat with the corps trooping the stands in reverse order of finish. Interestingly, this was still being done at the Pacific Northwest shows I attended in 2002. The neatest thing was, rather than playing themselves off, the Madison Scouts walked up to the track immediately in front of the covered bleachers (another northwest thing) and sang "You'll Never Walk Alone". The fans loved it.

David

Thanks for the explanation, David!

I totally understand the issues of the safety and getting the kids out quicker etc...etc..but with that said...

I think the new format <**> don't know why they just don't do away with the whole thing if it truly is a safety issue. How do the corps that they pick to do the redundent "O Canada" theme that the sing at the begining of each show, get to get out of the parking lot any faster? How is it fair to them to get more time on the road and get to their next destination sooner? :rock:

I too agree with the poster who said that the kids who actually stated they hated retreat were selfish and totally missed the point of what it was about. :( I think that is sad. It is not selfish of ME to want it either. It was part of what I personally enjoyed.

When I marched, I too got the pleasure of playing our "corps song" as we came off the field paying respect to the corps who won the competition. One year it was the only time I got to play "Danny Boy" cause we didn't have it in our show (1986) which was the last year for the corps, retreat (and parades) .

It taught you how to have respect for those you were competing against. I feel for those who don't get this chance. I am really surprised at some of the comments made by kids who hated the retreat. It shows they didn't get what it was for. :(

I had to explain to those around me in the crowd Saturday at the DCI Orlando, which they obviously don't consider regional either, what was going on. They didn't like the format either and were very disappointed. Quite frankly people began leaving the stands, they obviously would've stayed if the winner was doing an encore, but they chose someone else to perform. I think that night it was Boston and Magic played the redudent "America, O Canada' and Boston stayed to play something, I don't know, I left disguisted at the whole thing. Just let them all leave and don't try to pacify us. We don't want to see a watered down retreat. Don't do it all or do it all the way.

If it TRULY is for the safety (which I still saw corps in the parking lot waiting to leave as we were leaving), then make it for everyone, give all of the corps that benefit.

The new way definitely is anti-climactic, IMO. It just doesn't have the same impact as the old retreat. And yes, having marched, I understand the complaints about it. We all went through that, and many of us grumbled through the entire thing. But there were plenty of neat moments about retreat, too. It really was a kind of joining together not only of our own corps, but of all the corps, a way for us to salute one another. I think we all knew that it was mainly for the audience, but there were some benefits for us, too. So I definitely have mixed feelings about this new format.

<**> I cannot believe what I am hearing! I am a drum major vet who takes great pride and honor being a part of DCI even now after aging out. The finale/retreat is a way to walk out with all the others as equals to show how MANY participants we have in such a wonderful organization AND how many spectators would stay and support it.

With music education sucking the life out of every teacher, school and budget around the country, wouldn't this simple tradition be a way to put DCI on the map to show how IMPORTANT it truly is to so many people? I believe that DCI could be the answer to many band director's struggle with changing ways to a more "traditional" often confused with discusting dance bands that have little or no class. We pop in a tape or take them to a show hosted by DCI -- but then there is no ENDING or FINALE. Instead of worrying about 30 minutes to be on the road (after thousands of the vets survived pretty well on that schedule - FYI), lets continue to do the Finale the RIGHT way and keep the traditions the same because traditions everywhere else are collapsing. Is this organization too weak to handle the social pressures of the other traditions collapsing?

Being a west coaster I dont really have much of an opinion about retreat. However, the thing I have missed at the shows I have been to in Cali is the encore given by the winning corps. It has always been one of my favorite parts of the show to see BD or SCV or whoever arc it up in front of the stands and seriously do some damage to my ear drums. :rock: Maybe its just me :lol:

I felt that retreat was part of the reward for working hard all day on improving your performance.

Why not make retreat a provisional/optional thing depending on travel issues and such. If a show sponsor would prefer a retreat and the corps don't have far to go that night, then why not?

This would apply well to weekend groupings of shows which are sometimes only a few miles from one another.

Every show doesn't have to be the same. Do it when it works and don't do it when it isn't practical. Maybe even allow the one or two corps that have a long drive that night to head out early and let the others have some fun with the crowd.

This activity is changing so fast! Amps one year, now watered down retreats, nonDCI kids in Solo and Ensemble, corps coming out with incomplete shows, and like someone said earlier, it's like DCI is moving towards "sound bites."

I'm glad I marched full retreats where corps played themselves off the field, I'm glad I marched with a stripe on my pants, I'm glad that when I stood on the field at retreat at Finals, every corps stayed in their block and stayed "military." I'm also glad I marched shows that didn't need a title or interpretation in the program. I'm glad I marched on a G bugle.

I'm glad I marched when drum corps was still unique.

I guess this makes me an old timer. Maybe, but I'm still glad.

Kimberly

85-89