Any Long Island reviews?

we don't really get many senior corps reviews - I've never understood why really...

I think too many people have taken the time to write a review and been #####ed at afterwards for anything negative they may have said. Why write DCA reviews when it appears you anger more people than please?

well ya get #### no matter what ya review...i've gotten it for senior and junior shows.

Chris have no fear, i will be reviewing Reading, Lewisburg and Winston Salem, not just for here, but for DCW as well. I was to have Hershey as well, but......

I think I can take a crack at this. I always write exactly what I feel and don't sugarcoat it at all. (That helps keep me from being partial... I'm my worst critic...) But I did get to see all the corps perform, except my own of course since I was on the field. I had to watch the other from different angles, but seeing and hearing them was never a problem. Like it or hate it, here goes...

Let me start by saying it was kinda interesting to see 4 out of the 5 corps being roughly similar in size. Sky, Hurcs, Sun, and Cru all marching relatively similar numbers. Bush was a bit bigger, especially in the hornline.

First on, Sunrisers.

I had to watch them from the side, since we were lined up to go on. But I will say this... I didn't have to strain to hear them. That's a comforting thing. Bigger and better than recent years, I know why they chose open class. Percussion is much improved and in my honest opinion, will be their strong point this year. But brass and guard are much better than previous versions. Marching was not without flaws, but who's is this time of year? All in all, since I've been watching the Sunrisers return to the field, this is most definitely their best start.

Second on, Skyliners.

Remember now folks, trying to be impartial and honest here. I honestly think we have the most technical show out there and that showed. We had alot of tempo issues and that held us back. I will say this... it's very refreshing to know that our score had to do with what we did (or didn't do) on the field instead of the show design. The fans enjoyed our show, especially the drum feature which got a standing ovation. (From all 46 people who actually went to this show.) LOL. But seriously, watch our percussion. They be rockin'. And when the rest of the elements fall into place, look out!

Third on, Hurricanes.

I don't want to say too much about this show because I'm afraid of injecting personal preferences into the review. The show didn't really "click" with me so I don't want to say anything that would take away from the hard work these guys are putting up. I will say that if you are a fan of the Connecticut Hurricanes, you won't be dissappointed. This show is definitely a treat for you. Hurcs will improve and be in the middle of the pack come finals time. You can count on it.

Fourth on, Bushwackers.

I like the show, but then again, I'm a big fan of music of dead Russians. It's high energy and fun to listen to and the corps sells it well. Also performed with good intensity and focus. I don't want to make it sound like I was dissappointed, but I don't know if this lives up to all the hype I heard all winter. Definitely better than Bush in recent years, but there is still an element that is lacking. Rest assured though, when the figure out that last little piece, they'll be kicking butts and taking names.

Last on, Crusaders.

What corps can take an entire year off and come back as though they never left? Crusaders showed their mettle by playing a show that is versatile and crowd appealing. They've got stuff to work on, but we all do. And I think they have a #### good place to start from!

Hope this helps at least a little. Best of luck to everyone as we continue this interesting DCA season.

thank you for your review

Here are my thoughts on the LI show

I missed Sun unfortunately, but it is great to see them back on the field and doing well!

Sky- Sky is playing one of my favorite tunes, Caravan. I thought that Sky did a nice job for being early in the season. Their drumline is the strongest section of the corps right now. The hornline has some work to do learning notes and putting it with the feet. They arced up and played their closer without drill, I'm sure that will be complete very soon. Nice job sky!

Hurcs - Hurcs have some nice moments in their show. Right now their colorguard is leading this corps in performance. There were a lot of feet issues tonight. Probably first show jitters. Hurcs also had an incomplete show tonight. Stamina is an issue but I'm sure they will gain strength and confidence in the coming weeks. It also looks like they wrote for more than they have in terms of numbers so if you are looking for a place to march, Hurcs have a really nice and crowd appealing show check them out!

Bush - A lot of preseason hype on Bush so I was interested in seeing them for the first time this year. They were clearly the most confident and prepared corps of the evening. I thought they did a decent job at their first show of the year. Some stamina issues toward the end of their show. In typical Bush style they are moving a lot. Many issues tonight with understanding multiple visual responsibilities. The hornline has a decent sound but has a tendency to push out and lose balance and tone quality. My complaint about the show is that it seems to have many false endings. The flow of the entire show is not as smooth as I would have liked to see. I hope the design staff takes a look at the flow and works it out. Nice job!

Cru - As a Cru alum it was fantastic to see them back on the field again. They are playing Bb horns this year and they sound fantastic. They have some strong players in each section and that is helping to hold things together for Cru. The pit and battery is definitely the weak section of the corps right now but knowing the perc staff, they will continue to work and train the members and turn that around. The show is pleasing to listen to, and the guard does a really nice job of creating a fun mood on the field. My only complaint about the show and performance from Cru is the fact that the former corps song "Send in the Clowns" was nowhere to be heard. I hope you bring it back Cru1 It means something to us alums!

After the show - Got a chance to see some old friends and reunite with some former Cru members. It was a fantastic evening of drum corps. All the corps did a great job and I hope that nobody takes offense to my comments. I love drum corps and I hope I was able to give some insight into my thoughts on the evening!

Sky- Sky is playing one of my favorite tunes, Caravan. 

Ummmm.... no we're not. But thanks for the review!