baris or euphs

canos pytter

When I frist started getting into drum corps I asked myself this very same question "What's the difference between a bari and a euph". Being a saxophone player in high school, I just assumed the euphs were just a larger version of the baritone, or as the 2nd or 3rd parts in the baritone arrangement of the music.....i compared it to the difference between an alto and a tenor sax (or a tenor to a bari sax). 5 years later, now going into my 4th year of marching (started on euph, then bari for 2 years, now back on euph), I've come to think of the euphs as an entire section in themselves. Our parts this year are totaly unique from the rest of the hornline.....in one section we may share a line of music with the mellos, then we may play some support for the  baritone section, or we may be sharing parts with the contra section. So when it comes time for sub sectionals, we may be with the baris, the contras, or just by ourselves. We just go where we are needed. Heh, that might make the euph section the "b*tch section" of the corps, but I think of us the section that makes all the other section better!  :D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In drum corps I was always looked at the euphonium section as the bridge between the baritones and the contrabasses. A good euphonium section makes the lead baritones, (and the other baritones,) happy so we have a nice 'pad' to play on. There is nothing like a full lush euphonium sound, especially when you get to play on top of it. (I loved listening to Vanguard's 22 euphoniums last summer).

I totally agree.  One of the best moves made in a bass line was SCV moving to all euphs.

(not that I would carry one ... I'm too old!  (:-D )

And I definately agree that having an excellent euph section provides a solid base, not only for the bari line, but for the entire corps sound.

I wanted to buy a Euph for Renegades, but I wasn't allowed (something about being the only one, or something ;-D ), but I believe a corps is much better off with a line of Euphs (say 8 or so), especially if they have  powerful upper brass.

OK Renegades...who's with me?!?!

One more thing...

SCV going to all Euphs had alot to do with the key of Bb. The Band version Baritone just was too close to a thing, trombone sound (from what I heard). The Euphoniums they have compare very much to the sound of my Kanstul Baritone Grande (at least that's what I thought when I played one).

Euphoniums just look cooler!  :)

theres nothing sexier than a euph chick  :D

I wanted to buy a Euph for Renegades, but I wasn't allowed (something about being the only one, or something ;-D ), but I believe a corps is much better off with a line of Euphs (say 8 or so), especially if they have  powerful upper brass.

OK Renegades...who's with me?!?!

I'd like to play euphonium.  Or I'd like to make an attempt at playing euphonium.   :D

P.S.  Don't forget my bari at the next rehearsal.  I really, really miss my King!

]:-)

As much as I love the Euph sound (Vanguard's low brass last summer kicked ###!), I wouldn't want to switch from Bari to Euph....my arms would fall off!

RK  8^)

Actually, they're really only about 2 pounds heavier.  We actually trained for it Regiment by putting weights on the ends of the horn during the early season practices so that within a few days, the Euphonium by itself felt really light.  But those first few practices---man my arms were screaming!

Matt

As much as I love the Euph sound (Vanguard's low brass last summer kicked ###!), I wouldn't want to switch from Bari to Euph....my arms would fall off!

RK  8^)

Actually, they're really only about 2 pounds heavier.  We actually trained for it Regiment by putting weights on the ends of the horn during the early season practices so that within a few days, the Euphonium by itself felt really light.  But those first few practices---man my arms were screaming!

Matt

I thought about trying that with the dudes at MBI (just bought four new euphs this season), but it wouldn't fly.  However, during warmups/technique we each put a dollar on the table and the last guy to break takes the cash.  There's nothing I like more than taking money from college students.  :)

Michael Oldemeyer