Here's one for ya...

K'....the year I marched BD was the first year without the timing gun in DCI...and the first year all captions were judged until the end of the show...

I know that the gun would fire twice at the 11:30 mark and all judging EXCEPT for GE would cease...that's why SCV -- for example -- was able to get away with the ugly phasing in 82 when they put in Bottle Dance...'course, the crowd just ate it up, which is the fun part of it!

Now...given that the judging roots of DCI are from the VFW/CYO days...can anyone explain WHY they would NOT judge performance and execution for the last (potential) minute and a half???

Be kinda nice to understand the rationale...

K'....the year I marched BD was the first year without the timing gun in DCI...and the first year all captions were judged until the end of the show...

I know that the gun would fire twice at the 11:30 mark and all judging EXCEPT for GE would cease...that's why SCV -- for example -- was able to get away with the ugly phasing in 82 when they put in Bottle Dance...'course, the crowd just ate it up, which is the fun part of it!

Now...given that the judging roots of DCI are from the VFW/CYO days...can anyone explain WHY they would NOT judge performance and execution for the last (potential) minute and a half???

I *think* it was to level the playing field, Sam. 11 1/2 minute cutoff for everyone and *then* we'll check your GE out for the remainder...not necessarily in a "good" light, depending on what you're doing. The continuing "evolution" of DCI judging, eh?

I *think* it was to level the playing field, Sam.  11 1/2 minute cutoff for everyone and *then* we'll check your GE out for the remainder...not necessarily in a "good" light, depending on what you're doing.  The continuing "evolution" of DCI judging, eh?

For one, the sound of the gun coming off the line was an adrenaline rush for me....as far as the final gun is concerned, it had the tendency to relax me for the final push and then came that rush of adrenaline again for that final expanding gate, company front, and final kneel and bark....can't wait for the Kingsmen Alumni corps B)

My guess...so that every corps would be judged with exactly the same conditions on execution...and that was the minimum overall time as well, btw.

Mike

The reason? Since ticks were used, the 11:30 of judged execution was used to be fair to all corps. Say one corps show lasted 11:45 and another the full 13:00. If execution continued to the end, the corps with a full 13:00 show would be at a disadvantage to the corps with an 11:45 show. In 1984 when the judging system changed to eliminate the tick, there was no reason to stop judging execution at the 11:30 mark any longer.