DCI Hall of Fame

You know I was browsing through my DCI Program from last year and noticed a few things. There are quite a few members of the DCI Hall of Fame that gave the "bulk" of their contributions to the activity prior to DCI ever being formed.

While their contributions should be honored and appreciated by all of us, is the DCI Hall of Fame an appropriate way to do that? I mean there is a Drum Corps Hall of Fame that is not affiliated with DCI. Wouldn't that be more appropriate for them? Shouldn't we reserve the space in the DCI Hall for those that contributed to the activity under the umbrella of DCI?

Ray Harroun won the first Indy 500 and while doing so, he decided not to have a ride along mechanic and installed a mirror on his car THUS giving us the rearview mirror. His contributions to autoracing and automobiles in general is greatly appreciated, however would it be appropriate to place him in the NASCAR Hall of Fame? Just my 2 cents...

Now onto the real reason for this thread.... There are many great individuals in the Hall of Fame but one who isn't is probably the most recognizable FACE of the entire organization... Steve Rondinaro. This man has been doing the DCI broadcast since before many of us were born. Over the years many things in our activity have changed, but we've had one constant and that is Steve! Every year he's selling our activity over the airwaves to thousands of people. Many of us, including myself first saw drumcorps on one of his broadcasts. I feel he is long overdue. Thoughts?

Other than Steve "THE FACE OF DCI", how about the VOICE, Brandt Crocker? He should get an automatic bid just for getting me excited before each show. What about the SCRIBE of DCI, our own Mike Boo. He's written more about this activity than I've written period and then some. There are many more deserving people out there who have directly contributed to DCI. I hope I've made my point.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...What about the SCRIBE of DCI, our own Mike Boo.  He's written more about this activity than I've written period and then some...

I swear I am not paying this person.

As honored as I am for the thought, I ask everyone to remember Steve Vickers, who actually has been nominated a few times.

Mike New spearheaded the campaign this past year. I hope he doesn't give up and I hope the members of DCP continue to support the effort.

Mike

I whole-heartedly agree with all the choices. May I add Denise Bonfiglio to the list? She and HOFamer Peggy Twiggs have been instrumental in guiding some of the world's greatest color guards. Denise is deserving, and would make a nice Father/Daughter HOF team. :worthy:

Jack Bevins.

This thread brings up some great names & contributors to the activity, and also begs the question of DCI has a maximum number of inductees they can choose each year.

In Canton, OH the Pro Football Hall of Fame has set a limit of a minimum of four and a maximum of seven inductees each year. I know that DCI has done three and sometimes five inductees over the years.

I concur with all of the names that have been mentioned, but would push more for Steve Vickers, Drum Corps World publisher (for over 30 years!) and "Reliable Rondo" first and foremost. These two individuals have been the "voice" of the activity for a long time, and have been the conduit that keeps all of us from having "withdrawal" during the off-season (I still have a file cabinet full of Drum Corps Worlds dating back to 1983!!). If it weren't for the videos, PBS re-broadcasts, and getting DCW in our mailboxes once a month (more during summer), we all would have a void in our lives from September through the following mid-June each year!!

There's my two centavos!!

:)

Duplicate post....Sorry.......

Edited by victorcoly

Duplicate post....sorry.....

A Thousand lashes with a wet lasagna noodle.

Edited by victorcoly