DCI Hall of Fame

Ok..... Looking at the past DCI HOF inductees, there were years in the 90's where they inducted ten or more.....

SO... I propose the following list of nominees for 2006 induction.  I'll spearhead the letter writing / nominating campaign if some want to help:

-- Steve Vickers:  Founder and Publisher Drum Corps World

-- Steve Rondinaro: The face/voice of PBS and DCI broadcasts/videos/DVD's for over 25 years.

--  Moe Knox: Photographer extraordinaire.  Many photos of past champions published in many DCI and other medium publications.

--  Brandt Crocker:  The "Stedium Voice" of many DCI Finals competitions.

--  Harold "Robbie" Robinson:  Long time director, Crossmen D & B Corps

--  Sal Salas:  Long time designer, choreographer.  Current director Madison Scounts.

--  Theodore "Ted" Swaldo: Long time Exec. Director/ Business Manager Bluecoats D & B Corps.  Responsible for "resurrecting" the corps from virtual extinction in 1983.

--  Jimmy Centorino:  Reknown soloist for Boston Crusaders, Matadors.  Now professional recording artist.

--  Al Chez:  Reknown soloist, Garfield Cadets, Crossmen D & B Corps.  Professional recording / performing artist.

How's that for a mix of the "old" and "new?"

:)

Vickers

Moe

Rondo

Chez

Crocker

yes.

Edited by dcifan2002

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vickers

Moe

Rondo

Chez

Crocker

yes.

Does that mean you'd say no to the others? Can't imagine anyone who's been around not recognizing Robbie. Hopkins, Hannum, Thompson etc. all emerged under his guidance.

As for Frank Pamper; Sie Lurie and Don Warren are in. The three of them dominated the Midwest, and therefore the activity for a decade.

I ask everyone to remember Steve Vickers, who actually has been nominated a few times.

Actually, this past year was the first time his nomination was 'official' -- in the past he got nods, but his past nominations never met all the criteria for consideration.. so 2004 was technically the first time.

Crazy but true.

Stef

this isn't just cause i write for DCW, but how Steve Vickers didnt meet the criteria is a slap in the man's face.

this man, no offense to many others listed here, has done more DCI than even some in the Hall currently.

I whole-heartedly agree with all the choices.  May I add Denise Bonfiglio to the list?  She and HOFamer Peggy Twiggs have been instrumental in guiding some of the world's greatest color guards.  Denise is deserving, and would make a nice Father/Daughter HOF team. :worthy:

Having taught with Denise and Peggy during my tenure with the 27th Lancers, I can think of no more deserving a candidate than Denise Bonfiglio. Together they revolutionized the art of the color guard in our activity and Denise remains extremely active to this day. Her influence upon the activity as well as her guidance of thousands of fortunate students stands as a testament to her greatness.

I would also raise the name of Rick Odello. A year and a half ago I was asked to prepare a letter of support on Rick's behalf by the late Jerry Seawright. Many forget the incredibly significant contributions of Rick Odello to the Blue Devil percussion program. His 1976 line set a standard of excellence for the activity that was ably followed up by Tom Float and Scott Johnson. Rick left the Blue Devil A corps in the prime of his career to teach the C and B corps and be with his sons, three of whom eventually played for the A corps. He currently serves as Director of the Blue Devil B corps-a lifelong commitment to the program. The Odello name is synonymous with the Blue Devils as his mother and father were founders of the Blue Devil organization. Unfortunately, his application for the Hall of Fame was ruled invalid as he was deemed to be an "old-timer". I hope that this omission will soon be rectified.

Charley Poole

DCI HOF 1998

27th Lancers 1977-1986

The Odello name is synonymous with the Blue Devils as his mother and father were founders of the Blue Devil organization. Unfortunately, his application for the Hall of Fame was ruled invalid as he was deemed to be an "old-timer".  I hope that this omission will soon be rectified.

Charley Poole

DCI HOF 1998

27th Lancers 1977-1986

Charley:

Good to see you surface! Hope you are doing well!!

Add Rick Odello's name to my list! As a drum guy, I can't believe I FORGOT him!!!!

My "revised" list:

-- Steve Vickers: Founder and Publisher Drum Corps World

-- Steve Rondinaro: The face/voice of PBS and DCI broadcasts/videos/DVD's for over 25 years.

-- Moe Knox: Photographer extraordinaire. Many photos of past champions published in many DCI and other medium publications.

-- Brandt Crocker: The "Stedium Voice" of many DCI Finals competitions.

-- Harold "Robbie" Robinson: Long time director, Crossmen D & B Corps

-- Sal Salas: Long time designer, choreographer. Current director Madison Scounts.

-- Theodore "Ted" Swaldo: Long time Exec. Director/ Business Manager Bluecoats D & B Corps. Responsible for "resurrecting" the corps from virtual extinction in 1983.

-- Jimmy Centorino: Reknown soloist for Boston Crusaders, Matadors. Now professional recording artist.

-- Al Chez: Reknown soloist, Garfield Cadets, Crossmen D & B Corps. Professional recording / performing artist.

-- Rick Odello: Long time staffer, Concord Blue Devils "A" & "B" corps. Percussion Instructor, 1976 Blue Devils.

-- Denise Bonfilgio: Color Guard designer, 27th Lancers.

-- Peggy Twiggs: Color Guard Designer, 27th Lancers, Garfield Cadets among others.

Hey.... my revised list has TWELVE people!! Twelve inductees.... twelve corps make DCI finals!! How fitting!!!!!!

As I said, I'll start the campaign....anyone else want to jump in as well??

this isn't just cause i write for DCW, but how Steve Vickers didnt meet the criteria is a slap in the man's face.

this man, no offense to many others listed here, has done more DCI than even some in the Hall currently.

Well considering his past nominations' qualifications have nothing at all to do with the man himself, no, it really isn't a slap in his face.

In case you weren't aware, the Hall of Fame nomination process is very specific with regard to the criteria they expect for a person to be considered "nominated." This year, we were very careful to meet the nomination criteria to the letter. In the past, the nomination criteria were never fully met, so Steve couldn't be presented as a nominee to the existing HOF members, regardless of how much he deserved to be there.

I'm fortunate to call Steve not only my editor and publisher for over 13 years, but also my dear friend. If there was any slapping of his face going on, I assure you I would be first in line to defend him against it. That's just not the case here.

Stef

I'm fortunate to call Steve not only my editor and publisher for over 13 years, but also my dear friend.  If there was any slapping of his face going on, I assure you I would be first in line to defend him against it.  That's just not the case here. 

Stef

I've got your back, Stef!

My association with Steve dates back to 1985 (is it REALLY 20 years?!?!?!). Although I've not written / contributed regularly for the last two or three years, Steve has ALWAYS been an advocate for what's best for the activity across the board.

Let's get him IN the HOF!!!! As I review the list of current members, and this year's list of nominees, it's a travesty that Steve Vickers, plus others, are not in the HOF yet!!!!!

:huh:

Charley:

Good to see you surface!  Hope you are doing well!!

Add Rick Odello's name to my list!  As a drum guy, I can't believe I FORGOT him!!!!

My "revised" list:

-- Steve Vickers:  Founder and Publisher Drum Corps World

--  Moe Knox: Photographer extraordinaire.  Many photos of past champions published in many DCI and other medium publications.

--  Brandt Crocker:  The "Stedium Voice" of many DCI Finals competitions.

--  Harold "Robbie" Robinson:  Long time director, Crossmen D & B Corps

--  Sal Salas:  Long time designer, choreographer.  Current director Madison Scounts.

--  Theodore "Ted" Swaldo: Long time Exec. Director/ Business Manager Bluecoats D & B Corps.  Responsible for "resurrecting" the corps from virtual extinction in 1983.

--  Jimmy Centorino:  Reknown soloist for Boston Crusaders, Matadors.  Now professional recording artist.

--  Al Chez:  Reknown soloist, Garfield Cadets, Crossmen D & B Corps.  Professional recording / performing artist.

--  Rick Odello: Long time staffer, Concord Blue Devils "A" & "B" corps.  Percussion Instructor, 1976 Blue Devils.

--  Denise Bonfilgio: Color Guard designer, 27th Lancers.

--  Peggy Twiggs:  Color Guard Designer, 27th Lancers, Garfield Cadets among others.

Hey.... my revised list has TWELVE people!!  Twelve inductees.... twelve corps make DCI finals!!  How fitting!!!!!!

As I said, I'll start the campaign....anyone else want to jump in as well??

I believe Peggy is on the list for this year......so add Charlie Poole.

For Robbie's bio....you should add he was the founding director for Crossmen.

BTW, I do like who is listed.....they ALL deserve it! :huh: