Wichita Falls Review

Went out to the Falls last night for the show, eager to see how Regiment's & Seattle's show are coming along, as well as get my first viewing of Crossmen, Troopers, & Kiwanis Kavaliers. This was my 2nd show of the year, after catching Pacific Procession in NorCal over the 4th.

The show was run in a pretty disorganized fashion yesterday. The stands are huge in WF, and were more than half empty - likely to do with 2 things, ticket prices ($28 at the top end for a small, local show) and the small line-up, made smaller by the withdrawal (understandably) of the Cadets.

First up was supposed to be an exhibition by Trinity, but for whatever reason (it appeared they weren't ready), we just sat and waiting until KK, who were up next.

Kiwanis Kavaliers -- It's been said, but wow, they are small. I will never understand corps that put 10 people in the pit when they only have barely double that in the horn line. As for the show & the effort of the kids, it's actually a nice product. The performers they have are talented and the show was written to their level & size. The horn line & percussion line can hold their own. The guard, unfortunately, has a long way to go. Some of their "equipment" makes no sense, like the weapon line sturring around iwth jackets (corps jackets, not uni jackets) at one point then putting them on like it was supposed to be some "effect." The Pink Panther section is definitely the highlight. Pretty neat stuff. Kudos to the kids for the effort they are putting out. Shame on the leadership of the organization for letting the corps slip this much. As for the new uniforms, after seeing them in person, I really don't like them at all. The red is way to high, only maing up about half a jacket, finished by some cheap looing black cloth down to the pants. The unis look like they were 99cent unis, and I'm sure they cost quite a bit more than that.

Troopers -- Another unit that I was disappointed to see is as small as they are. I counted 30 some horns (maybe 36). The performance level & talent of what they have in the brass line is definitely up this year, though. I can see some maturing occurring in the Trooper organization & it's nice to see. Brass produces a nice sound, very full in many places. I'm not sure I'm sold on the "Comin Round the Mountain" section in full, but I'll have to see it again. Color Guard uses an odd attempt at a 2 sided flag -- it appears to be 2 flags, with Poles taped together? -- that didn't work to well, especially with the wind last night. Guard in general continues to be Casper's weak point to my eyes. Very sloppy in execution. Let's see what they can do with this show over the next 3 weeks. Overall, enjoyed them. Just keeping hoping for more from Casper in terms of a modern rennaissance as at least a Semis threatening power.

Side Note: I'm not sure what it is about the lower tier of Div I corps, but they can't seem to assemble color guards that can even match the mid-range of the division II corps.

Seattle Cascades -- After seeing them over the 4th in California, I was surprised to follow their scores over the last 2 wees and not see much improvement, as I was intrigued by their potential. At this point, that's what they still have - a show with potential. At times, the corps has some nice power, focus & intensity. Field coverage is terrific. Execution, however, is sorely lacking for a corps that aspires to be a Finals contender. The plane assembly section, for example, was sloppier than it was 2 weeks ago. The 2 wings didn't even line up last night, for example. Lots of dirt in music & marching at this point. The concept is not selling at this point, and in fact I think it sold more on first viewing 2 weeks ago. I'm even less sold now on the color schemes. All the neon is just garish. It doesn't add texture or nuance to the show, which actually has a very nice music book and a potential strong horn & drum line. At this point, I could see Seattle having to fight hard to retain a spot in Semifinals. On another note, the naration did not work well last night, as you really had to strain to even try to hear the guy. Unfortunately, most of the narration comes at very musical impact moments (or in the "ahhh" period right after a musical effect) which never lets you completely enjoy what the corps is doing on the field -- with the exception of the gorgeous opening flag & work, which is big, bold & exciting.

Crossmen -- First viewing for these guys, and I was excited to see what Bones has this year. First, they have lots of power. A very loud hornline, maybe the "loudest" of the night. Not often with a nice full tone, though. Their sound is a bit strident and a little on the immature side this year. Not the nice warm full sound of their mid to late 90s shows, for sure. That can be fixed, though. The music book is "ok," but not one of their better books. Highlight is definitely the first 2 thirds of the show. Radar Love is solid & fun & the ballad is beautiful. Paradise by the Dashboard Light is just not working at this point though, although there are some nice percussion grooves emerging in the closer. I have to say the Color Guard has the worst outfit I've seen all summer so far. The clashing of the pink/red tones in the females and the oversized, very cheep looing oranges of the males just doesn't mesh well. With each uniform also being unique, it just looks lie someone puked up pinks, reds, oranges & neon greens and assembled a collage of outfits. The silks they use are nice, and the ballad double flags are beautiful. From an execution perspective, this guard is a notch below last year, which is another couple of notches below where the Crossmen guard was at a few years ago. This show has a fighting chance for finals. Cant see them higher than 12th, though. We'll see if they have what it takes to make the cut in San Antonio over Spirt and Colts, both of hich I haven't seen yet.

Phantom Regiment. In the words of our esteemed Chuck Naiffer's review from Denver, Wow. Wow. Wow. Here's my take so far on Regiment, after seeing them in San Jose & now last night. It's a very different look and feel for them this year. But, they are really starting to make Gershwin their own. The show is exciting & very fast paced. It's over before you know it. Some very beautiful music, by what is perhaps their best hornline since 1996/1997. Some unbelievable sounds starting to come out of that line. They book is sheer genius, with the seemless mixing of Rhapsody & American in Paris. The line is starting to produce a more bottom heavy, richer tone, and the articulation & execution of the upper brass is just stunning. The drumline can get a little lost in this show, but they are very good. Guard & visual desing are a revelation. It's amazing how much has been added just since San Jose. New drill is terrific (though still dirty - you can tell what's new), and the color schemes in the guard now, both in costumes, silks, and umbrellas - is just flat out GORGEOUS. I can see how they are getting the Visual GE scores, they are getting. I love the new set towards the end where they make the Eiffel Tower (quasi a Chevron, too, I suppose). I'm not sure yet how far they can take this show, but I wouldn't rule out any position between 1st and 6th yet (although I think they have a very solid shot on at least 4th, if not better).

I do have a couple of rants about DCI & this show, though. And let me caveat that by saying that I'm generally very supportive & appreciative of DCI & their leadership of the activity.

Made the 2 hour trek out to Wichita Falls from Dallas last night for the show. Hesitated to go after Cadets pulled out, as the show was left with a small, bottom heavy line up, but hey, my favorte corps (Regiment) was there, so I thought - why not? Plus, I'll get to hear Spartacus in their encore. So let me get my rant out of the way -- THE NEW AWARDS CEREMONY/ENCORE PROCESS IS ONE OF THE WORST THINGS IV'E EVER SEEN DCI DO. First, the crowd was very disappointed that there was not a massing for finale. Then, they were even more disappointed when they found out that Crossmen were doing the encore instead of Regiment. I have to admit I was hacked off on both accounts too. The argument that kids get to leave earlier without retreat? Bogus -- All the corps were still in the parking lot eating, individuals practicing, etc, well after Crossmen were done with their encore. Also, I can see letting a smaller, or lower scoring corps do the encore at their home show, etc., but here? These local show crowds expect, with good reason, to get to hear the encore from the winning corps -- and so do I. It's one thing - maybe - to hear BD do an encore at a show Cavies win. It's entirely another to have only one corps at a show that is even safely in finals, and to not have that corps do the encore. And I don't mean that out of disrespect for the Crossmen at all. They are a fine corps that I always enjoy.

I guess this is my DCI rant post for the season, because another thing bothered me about the show in WF was this -- I understand the Cadets pulling out and agree with/respect that decision (I'm just glad they are ok), but DCI had another top tier corps just sitting on the bench, 2 hours away last night. Vanguard was already in Dallas Tuesday night. Could not have someone have orchestrated a move to get SCV to Wichita Falls for this show to "sub"? It certainly would have made for a much fuller line up.

Still, very much looking forward to my chances to catch the Dallas, San Antonio, and Enid shows over the next week. It's going to be a very exciting weekend!

PS -- there was an exhibition by Trinity during intermission. I can't think of anything good to say at all except thank you to the 12 kids who were out there working their tails off. The staff/director should be shot. 4 brass? Then you give them an esoteric, dissonant book without melody? Just what exactly about last night/this year's product is going to make kids want to join this program & make it grow?

Harvey

TexasPRfan,

That was a very enjoyable review. Thank you for that.

I am excited to see Phantom this year. To see them do Gershwin would be neat, so I can't wait to see them and Cadets and Bluecoats (my hometown corps) at the Indianapolis show.

Also, I totally agree with you about the encores. In my opinion, people want to see the BEST corps, the winning corps, perform the encore. Isn't that what the encore was all about in the first place. Hey DCI, I love so much of what you are doing, and I also am very supportive of you and the corps in this activity, but I feel the winning corps should perform the encore. I don't want to hear about the hometown corps or anything else. People want to see the 1st place corps do a standstill. Please change this.

Jonathan

Good review. Agree w/ you about the new encores.

Apperently we were at two diffrent wichita falls shows, I was there and I do not agree with your review at all. Critiques are supposed to be positive. Using a negitive focus in critiques changes you from a Critic to a Cynic. I also believe in using experience in "critique-ing" becuase that provides a non-bias point of view. I strongly believe the differenence between a critic and a cynic is experience. Negitive critiques such as the former spoke reverently as an unexperienced voice.

First off, the Kiwanis show was their best yet. Show desigin was up, and they had an all around improvment!

Troopers- Their Horn line was kicking last night. They took normally bland music and made it exiciting (something fairly hard to do).

Cascades- They had some great visual effects! way to prop it out!

Crossmen- WOW! that horn sound was phenomenal! Very warm and clear. Extreamly exciting encore performence It made me stick around and woke me up!! And the crossmen cadence was groovy as ####! So mad props to them!

PR- I agree they had a great show, muscialy they were tops.

As for the Cadets I hope everyone can recover and stay on the same path to greatness they were on this season! Can't wait to see them in San Antonio.

As for Trinity- They were amazing for the amount of members they have. I'm sorry you don't agree with the staff's choice to challenge and educate.

Did you happen to notice that the perrcussion picked up horns and played them?

They are an exhibition corps, it is their first season performing, and they done more than any other exhibition corps I've seen.

I have marched a small crops and they ussual play it safe, Trinity took a chance on their members and succeeded. People stood up and cheered for them. I know becasue I was one of the extreme many people who were on their feet.

I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

--Angelina

Just my 2 cents but reviews are not about "hyping corps" and making them sound like something that they are not. Reviews are about making your thoughts on a certain corps performance, rather it be good or bad, heard.

Thanks for a great review. I wish we could have seen Phantom this year ... the show sounds like a really stellar one for them ...

Onward! To all of the corps in all divisions for 2005 ... keep on keepin' on ... great job gang ... Godspeed and God Bless.

Ma

Here is my take on the Wichita Falls show.  I have more of a personal take on it because this show was hosted by our Band parents.  I have worked on this show all year long and prayed every night that everyone would come here to this small town and just really enjoy what they are experiencing what these corps have to offer.

We had a few glitches to handle the day of the show--the biggest one was the loss of one of our top corps--The Cadets--of course this was not our fault they were not going to perform and I felt like everyone at the show understood--no one came up and voiced their displeasure nor did they demand their money back--If you were there you were there to watch Drum Corp not just there to see The Cadets.  It would have been great to have had them there but things happen and we are so glad that everyone is doing fine and they are safe.    The next one was that there was a long line waiting to get into the stadium--fans did not purchase their tickets in advance, they waited till they got to the stadium so needless to say the lines were long--we had 4 computers going --but the people who purchased in advanced just walked in.  So if you are tired of standing in line--think about purchasing in advance.

The show lineup included Trinity out of Sequin, Tx they were our Exhibition corps--first show for Trinity--they are brand new this year and have just started their tour with us.  They were supposed to go on the field at 7:15 and they were a no-show---we knew they were on the premises but they did not show until after Kiwanis Kavaliers performed(they had uniform difficulties)--so we did not cancel them out we let them perform during the intermission--The crowd really listened to them and cheered for them.  They are a very small corps but they have a lot of heart and they were pleased with their performance.  Thanks Trinity for coming to Wichita Falls and sharing your music with us.

Kiwanis Kavaliers--They were a small Div I corps but had a really good sound.  I really like their new red and black uniforms very striking on the field.  I think they handled their program and music well for a smaller corps.

Troopers--I have always liked watching the Troopers(my daughter toured with them last year-great experience )  They have that hometown Texas feel to them.  Music selection was alright--but they just didn't have anything that just grabbed you and WOW'd you. 

Seattle Cascades-- It seemed like the Rumble in the Falls started when the Cascades took the field--it was a home crowd for 2 of the members of their corps (one was my daughter)  I think their bright guard uniforms enhanced their program--I know someone has stated on this forum that the guard uniforms were hideous--They are not--The Guard loves their uniforms.  There was never a dull moment in their show--they had lots of movement and there were 135 kids giving 110% on the field last night from Seattle  The narration was not really that noticeable except at the beginning and from then on the music played the biggest role and you could not hear alot of it.  (Can you guess what section my daughter is in?)  I haven't figured out yet why there scores are so slow to come up--they should be higher than they are right now.

Crossmen-- Good all around program.  There was lots of dancing with the guard. Lots of energy and the corps seemed to enjoy their music.  Music was great and the enthusiams of their show was wonderful.  There were quite a few people in the audience that thought that Crossmen were the best at Wichita Falls.

Phantom--Their white uniforms are very sharp looking.  Phantom entered with umbrellas--very neat looking(not your usual entrance)  The main male dancer carries the guard portion of the show.  I have to say that the most distracting part of their show is the changing of the uniforms from the guard.  They had several full costume changes--taking things off and replacing them with other acticles of clothing..--this did not look appropriate for the young ones at the show.  It really took away from what the corps was doing on the field( or was that the idea?) you caught yourself watching the guard and trying to see what they were doing and what they were going to put on instead of listening and watching what regiment was doing.  If you are going to costume changes they need to have the black props that Crossmen had.  Very discreet and then you are all of a sudden hit with a different costume--would probably have a greater impact on the audience.  All the movements of phantom were very eye-catching.

Yet another review from Witchita Falls..

I did not go to this show.. therefore, I have no opinion of the performances.. BUT.. I personally enjoy reading reviews that have a little more "constructive criticism" than a "full-out slam dunk" of a corps.. especially a first time out - tiny corps..(referring to the 1st review)

Apperently we were at two diffrent wichita falls shows, I was there and I do not agree with your review at all. Critiques are supposed to be positive. Using a negitive focus in critiques changes you from a Critic to a Cynic. I also believe in using experience in "critique-ing" becuase that provides a non-bias point of view. I strongly believe the differenence between a critic and a cynic is experience. Negitive critiques such as the former spoke reverently as an unexperienced voice.

First off,  the Kiwanis show was their best yet. Show desigin was up, and they had an all around improvment!

Troopers- Their Horn line was kicking last night. They took normally bland music and made it exiciting (something fairly hard to do).

Cascades- They had some great visual effects! way to prop it out!

Crossmen- WOW! that horn sound was phenomenal! Very warm and clear. Extreamly exciting encore performence It made me stick around and woke me up!! And the crossmen cadence was groovy as ####! So mad props to them!

PR- I agree they had a great show, muscialy they were tops.

As for the Cadets I hope everyone can recover and stay on the same path to greatness they were on this season! Can't wait to see them in San Antonio.

As for Trinity- They were amazing for the amount of members they have. I'm sorry you don't agree with the staff's choice to challenge and educate.

Did you happen to notice that the perrcussion picked up horns and played them?

They are an exhibition corps, it is their first season performing, and they done more than any other exhibition corps I've seen.

I have marched a small crops and they ussual play it safe, Trinity took a chance on their members and succeeded. People stood up and cheered for them. I know becasue I was one of the extreme many people who were on their feet.

I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

--Angelina

I agree Angelina,

I am not looking for someone to say everyone was great - and I personally like retreats & encores from the winners, but posts like this make it hard for us who get calls from marching members asking what the reviews say about what they work so hard to perform.

I got the phone call right after the encore last night. They were really pumped and excited aobut their encore performance and thought that the crowd reacted awesomely. I was told that at the end they rushed the stands to play the last few chords & that being so up close & seeing the crowd's reaction, made their efforts to date feel worthwhile - it was a moment they will always remember. At this point the frustration of their score not moving for weeks, seemed to melt away. I was excited for them. Now when I get the call asking, did anyone write a review of our encore performance, I am going to reference the other review of the show.

Drum Corps Moms (both of ya), I respect your opinions and that they are different than mine. I went back and read my review again after your comments, and I actually think I was pretty balanced. I had positive things to say about everyone, as well as opportunities. I too stood for Trinity -- but it was for the kids & their effort, not the product on the field. From the comments around me, I think most people did the same. Again, I respect your opinions. That's what makes this activity fun - we all have our own.