Cadets to top of the scoreboard

Are we safer with George W. Bush as President rather then John Kerry?

I'll speculate. #### NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love it how someone will take something George Hopkins writes in his blog, post it on DCP, and everyone just chimes in with their superior logic while slamming this man and the Cadets. Blogs are personal, yet they are posted. So, sure, there is a risk of people reading and posting these thoughts for all to see, and for all to criticise. But you guys take the cake. Let me tell you. All of you are just so righteous and perfect, and Geroge must be the devil. Remember that the comments he makes in his blog may well just be his reflections on things. They may not be comments that he shares with the kids or staff, or even the judges. If it was Scott Stewart you guys would treat him so differently, but it's George, and you just love to slam every little comment he makes. You love to theorize over every little supposed hint that you feel he is dropping.

Hey, you are all welcome to your opinion, but at some point you just have to ask yourself this: is it about hate? Is it about a dislike for the Cadets and Hopkins? Is it just fun to #####?

The last time I checked, the Cadets were one of the best and most entertaining drum corps in the history of the activity. You may not like every show, but you cannot deny their excellence or their success in producing some of the finest, most musical, and most entertaining shows we have all seen. How is this so bad? Is it so bad that when the director decides to write something in his blog about what HE thinks of the show and how it should be scored that you all have to set him straight?

Maybe he's right and the Cadets should be scoring higher. Their show is absolutely amazing, and he has the right to his opinion about his corps.

Jonathan

I think we are a lot safer with George Bush. I will take him any day over Clinton, Gore, or Kerry. My opinion is that this country needs more Christianity, more conservative thought, and less sitting on the fence. So I am pretty happy with the conservative nature of this country. JMO.

Jonathan

Blogs are personal, yet they are posted. So, sure, there is a risk of people reading and posting these thoughts for all to see, and for all to criticise.  But you guys take the cake. Let me tell you.  All of you are just so righteous and perfect, and Geroge must be the devil.  Remember that the comments he makes in his blog may well just be his reflections on things.  They may not be comments that he shares with the kids or staff, or even the judges. 

Maybe he's right and the Cadets should be scoring higher.  Their show is absolutely amazing, and he has the right to his opinion about his corps.

Jonathan

Jonathan.... C'Mon man.... how long have you been around this activity? have you ever talked to George in person?? A Blog is a blog.... I'll guarantee Hopkins KNOWS his Blog is posted.

I don't think George is the devil.... but when he parallels the DCI judging community with the current state of our nation.... and I'm being HUMROUS here... I think the "medication" needs adjusted!!

As for their show being absolutely amazing.... no doubt they put out a great product... but there have been years where they were amazing, but the "EFFECT" just wasn't there!!! For pete's sake man, you're a college educator.... you well know what "cause and effect" should be! Just look at the Purple Raider football program!!!!

I just love it how someone will take something George Hopkins writes in his blog, post it on DCP, and everyone just chimes in with their superior logic while slamming this man and the Cadets. 

and I just love it how someone will take something that members of this FORUM have posted

on DCP and then get slammed for doing it.

A bit of an over reaction I think.

and everyone just chimes in with their superior logic while slamming this man and the Cadets. 

I don't claim to have superior logic to anyone, but I've been around this activity for 30 years, and have seen Hopkins philosophical attitude towards the activity go some very strange directions. I have the utmost respect for the Cadets as an organization, and their history is almost unparalleled.

I also knew Dr. Richard Santo, Hopkins predecessor at Cadets, and the two were from a different mold, and Santo's approach to the activity was marching member driven more then anything. Hopkins started out that way in 1983, but has diverted from that somewhat over the past decade. Yes, he still has the best interest of the kids at hand, but his Blog statement about the judging proves more then you might realize. Read b/e/t/w/e/e/n the lines!

Not "superior logic," but a somewhat educated observation.

Is it okay with you if he has more than one grand memory?  If I were him, with his record - I'd have dozens!  And the comment last year was that it would go down as one of his favorite corps.  Again - consistent with the idea that there would probably be more than one. :worthy:

I don't care how many "grand memories" he has. I'm just pointing out his own descrepencies that's all. He has said these things more then once.

And NO I'm not bashing him, I'm just making observations.

Now it's been a little while since I've seen a judges score sheet, but I do believe dificulty plays a factor in judging. I haven't seen Cadet's show yet (I will tomorrow), but having seen them in past years I'm sure it's pretty difficult. He does make a good point in saying a more difficult show that is less clean will usually score a little higher than an easier show that is more clean. I feel weird. I just argreed with Hop on something. Oh well.

Also, calm down with the political discussions already. This is a drum corps forum. And we all know there is no pollitics in drum corps. :worthy:

Also, calm down with the political discussions already.  This is a drum corps forum.  And we all know there is no pollitics in drum corps.  :worthy:

Was that your best Tom Hanks voice?!?!?!?!

b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

Well, I have been around the activity since 1978 and I am not trying to start a war, but I just get so tired of seeing people complain about every little thing this guy does, says, or writes. I say we have the rest of you put up your blogs as well so I and others can second guess every little thing you write or say, or perhaps elude to.

I am not saying that the Cadets DO deserve more credit for their show or not. I know it's an amazing show this year, but I am just saying that George has the right to think they should be scoring higher. What drum corps staff member or director doesn't think they deserve a better score. And not every opinion that he puts into his blog should have to stur up some huge debate.

Oh well, what do I know. I apologize for upsetting you, Victor. You are a good man because I know you love the Bluecoats, and so do I. I guess I just get tired of all the slamming and the accusations and the conspiracy theories that seem to mount due to Hopkins. This forum gets pretty negative sometimes, and I don't handle that well. It's not my forte, and I react badly to it.

Peace,

Jonathan