Remind me about the DCI camera policy...

San Antonio is coming up in a day and a half. Could somebody remind me about DCI's camera/photo policy? Seems like I remember a strict no-photo policy in the past (which stinks), but I saw a thread about taking pictures at shows, so that leads me to believe it's changed in some way. Can y'all help? Thanks.

San Antonio is coming up in a day and a half.  Could somebody remind me about DCI's camera/photo policy?  Seems like I remember a strict no-photo policy in the past (which stinks), but I saw a thread about taking pictures at shows, so that leads me to believe it's changed in some way.  Can y'all help?  Thanks.

From dci.org...

"Clarification of DCI photo policy -- an FAQ

6/29/2005 -- 10:01 AM CST

Can I take still photos from the stands during a DCI event?

Yes, family, friends and fans may take still photos of DCI events for personal use only. The images may not be sold or otherwise distributed on a Web site or in print, without the written permission of Drum Corps International or the corps that was photographed. Please be considerate of the performers as well as the fans seated around you.

Small, nonprofessional, single frame "point & shoot" and digital cameras are allowed into the venue. Please be considerate of the performers and the fans seated around you. Professional cameras or cameras with lenses longer than six inches are prohibited, and all forms of video and motion picture cameras and sound recording devices are strictly prohibited. Tripods or other similar equipment that may obstruct the view or path of travel of others in the stands are also not allowed.

Can I use my flash?

As the lighting in most DCI major event venues now meets TV broadcast specs, the use of on camera flash is ineffective at best, but the choice to use flash is up to the fan.

Can I share my DCI photos with family and friends?

While we appreciate the desire to give photos away or to post them to a Web site, DCI asks that action photos not be distributed or publicly displayed without the written permission of Drum Corps International or the corps being photographed. Sharing a photograph of a family member or friend singly who is participating is acceptable on family Web sites without permission.

What do you mean by publicly displayed?

DCI defines public display as a Web site, printed publication or physical location where the public at large can gain access to one or more images of a DCI corps in rehearsal or performance.

Can I take video or audio of an event or a corps rehearsing?

While we know that fans like to relive the events on videotape or to share them with friends, due to copyright restrictions based on federal law, video and audio recordings even for personal use are not permitted without permission from DCI or the corps that is being recorded.

I am a professional or advanced amateur; can I get a pass to photograph a DCI event?

DCI media credentials are restricted to recognized local and national print media. If you fall into one of these categories and are on assignment, you may request a single event credential in writing. The request must come from the publication editor and/or publisher. The request should also include a sample of the publication and an explanation of how and when the photos will be used in the publication. Media requests must be submitted in writing on publication letterhead at least 14 days prior to the event. Direct all inquiries to: DCI Media Relations, 470 S. Irmen Dr., Addison, IL 60101. Fax, phone and e-mail inquiries are not currently accepted.

OK, thanks for posting that. Looks like it's been revised in the past couple of years, because I remember people getting their cameras taken up in 2002 and 2003. Or maybe that's just an Alamodome policy? :(

• 7 years later...

Whoops! I guess my good intentions of sharing photos in the Teal Sound thread is strictly prohibited by DCI, the NFL, and Major League Baseball.

This policy really needs to be changed. I have a ton of pictures over the years from every show I've attended, including the first corps off the line, that I think most members would enjoy seeing.

• Like 1

I put my 2010 photos on Facebook.

It's not exactly a personal family website but my facebook page is not exactly public website either... gotta luv those grey areas!!!

My lens is way longer than 6 inches when zooming in but fully closed it's exactly 6 inches.... good enough to get past the gate police.

I only took photos during quarters as it was then so I didn't pee off those sittng around me.

HMM, I guess I got away with something? Maybe every venue or security person at the front door is different.

I was at San Antonio an walked in with my DSLR with standard and telephoto lens.

There was a guy a couple rows in front of me with a lens about a foot long, snapping away.

I go to the San Antonio show every year, and we've always walked in with a regular DSLR camera, bigger than a little point and shoot, no problems.

I have been to the Berry Center in Houston for DCI events, and they didn't allow any cameras, period.

Yeah, I think with the advent and permeation of smartphones into the general population, DCI has all but abandoned that policy. I understand that they have a product to sell, but sites like YouTube are an excellent form of promotion and they've come to accept that fact. It is what it is. They can't stop phones, but I can understand them continuing to ban high quality audio and video recording at shows. That way DCI can continue to provide the highest levels of audio/video performance to their customers through live events on Fan Network and the distribution of DVD/BlueRay.

If any enforcement for still photo equipment is going on, I'd imagine it's more about how disruptive it is to the people around you. Soon we'll all have high-quality audio and video recording devices implanted in our skulls that can wirelessly stream to the entire world, so it's time to start figuring out how to make money in that world.

I have been involved with DCI as a corps member and then a fan for decades and oh how I wish I would have/could have saved some of the best memories from shows I've seen. MANY standstill performances I've been afraid to film due to these restrictions and all that's left is a failing memory of them. This is not something DCI markets so how could they restrict it? IF only for a photographic memory....