Question....

Actually i noticed the 2 Spirit Drum Majors in the stadium at the show I went to this year well before Spirit went on. i believe they were in the concessions line. So how would members of a corps wandering in the stands prior to their show be any different then the girl wandering in the stands and watching other shows.

I recall at allentown in 1988 the blue devils horn line couldn't get far enough away from the stadium to warm up so the staff told them to regroup outside the stadium at a certain time. I remember seeing uniformed members wandering around the stadium having a hotdog well before their corps step off time. I don't see this as anything different. The corps had a prescence well before their corps officially entered the field.

eating in uniform?

WOW.

we weren't even allowed to sit, or lean. (with good reason, and I'm not complaining at all)

just...wow.

Now a lot of people around here think George Hopkins can do anything. I'm here to tell you that whatever control you might think he has over the other DCI directors, the Madison Fire Department still thinks for itself. I think the only reasonable interpretation of the events of that evening would be that the Madison firefighters wanted to honor their brothers who died and grieved at the Trade Center just as the Cadets were. Hopkins may have suggested the opportunity. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing illegal either.

Sorry, but I'm not buying it. Something that was timed in the way that had to have been didn't happen merely by suggestion. There had to be at least some coordination taking place. My understanding is that the sirens came on when the firemen struck their pose. That wasn't a coincidence.

Was it "wrong" or "illegal"? No, I'm sure there's nothing in the rulebook prohibiting it. But it does strike me in some vague way as being troublesome. Why? It's opportunistic, capitalizing on grief over September 11. In nearly any other scenario, it probably wouldn't bother me nearly as much, but with a tragedy of that magnitude still so recent, is it really a good idea to capitalize on it by using outside resources other than your own corps, just to score a little more "drama" for your show?

I don't doubt that the Madison firefighters would want to honor their fallen brethren. That's the problem; it would be all too easy to convince them that this was the ultimate tribute, when, in retrospect, I'm not sure that's really how they would've wanted to go about it, by participating on the periphery of one drum corps' competitive show.

Edited by byline

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I did suggest the firefighters were tipped off to the opportunity (maybe even by Hopkins himself). What I took issue with was any suggestion that anyone other than the firefighters made the decision to run the sirens when they did. And I contend also that the firefighters did what they did not in service to the Cadets or Hopkins but in respect to the fallen fighterfighters of New York.

It's your right to feel anyway you feel about that. I'd urge you though to reconsider. Remember, the Cadets show was supposed to be about Sept. 11 and the mood of the country in the months that followed - a legitimate subject to explore. They deliberately programmed a design intended to elicit the emotions of the period where the pain was still fresh and outcome undecided. In that context - a wounded nation restoring its resolve - firefighters raising flags on the field and sirens outside the gate isn't such a stretch.

In any case and to the point of the thread, I'm for expanding the boundaries of performance. Let school girls wander the stands, throw streamers, sound bugles and - if luck puts a firehouse in view of the stands on a finals night when you're putting firefighters on the field - blast the sirens too.

HH

It's your right to feel anyway you feel about that. I'd urge you though to reconsider. Remember, the Cadets show was supposed to be about Sept. 11 and the mood of the country in the months that followed - a legitimate subject to explore.

I thought the show was about the '40s, with a brief tie-in at the end to September 11. In fact, I'm sure I remembered reading about that in one of the RAMD threads I cited, that the staff had insisted all season long that this show was supposed to be a patriotic tribute to the '40s, with no real reference to September 11 other than that pose at the end.

I'm not saying it wasn't a worthy subject to explore. But there is something about the way that was done which I found mildly disturbing at the time, and still do. I think there are ways to tie in these outside elements which, as I said, usually don't bother me much. But this particular stunt, handled in this particular way, did trouble me. Sorry, that's just how I feel about it.

By the way, what's with the suitcase?  Does it help represent that she's on a journey or is there another possible meaning?

The suitcase represents a fish.

You guys seemed determined to dissect this thing down to a cellular level. Have at it. :blink: