Bluecoats APD Not Going To Be Available

So see that DCI already posted that Blue's APD won't be available due to licensing issues.....any Idea what part of the show is the issue? <**>

:( I hope they get that worked out...

They've had this "licensing problem" twice now. I hope they get it worked out before Finals. I'd hate for them to not be on the CD's and DVD's this year like what happened to Kiwanis a few years back.

I'd really like to know what the issue is too. Does anyone familiar with their music this year know what they could be playing to cause licensing issues? Seems crazy to me. I wonder if some composer is putting up a stink or something. That's a shame for those kids.

I don't know what the specific issue is for Bluecoats, but I do know the licensing battles are getting ugly.

BOA just sent out an email to every director of every band competing at one of their shows telling them if they were playing music by a fairly significant number of specific composers or ones who were licensed by a specific publishing house, the band would be responsible for asking for and receiving "recording/publication rights" for 1000 copies of their performance. The bands would be responsible for paying for this as well as what we have always been responsible for paying for, the rights to arrange and perform.

That BOA waited this late caused a LARGE number of us to react rather "negatively" you could say. Anyone who is serious about the BOA competitive venue has LONG since programmed their shows. When I researched what was happening and had the situation briefly explained by someone who understood the intricacies of the copyright laws, I began to understand completely.

BOA itself is dealing with lawsuits and threats of lawsuits over copyright violation. Jeni Paulson, who does almost all the licensing for DCI and MUCH of the licensing for BOA bands (including ours) had been notifying all of us that worked with her for several years of people who were requesting fee's significantly higher than what the majority of the industry is asking for from educational institutions.

I will not name specific composers here, but there are certain composers and publishing houses that I will never bother programming their music on the field because of these fee's and quite a few directors (myself included) are choosing to no longer progam their literature on concerts as well in protest of those fees and what now appears as may be ridiculous requests for audio/video licensing. I know at least several composers who, IF they grant permission to arrange, each song used is priced at $2500. This is regardless of whether you use 10 seconds or 10 minutes.

By contrast, we performed some Don Ellis music last year and I got the nicest letter from his son saying how thrilled they were to see us exposing HS students to his literature and granting use without paying ANY fee. Generally our fees have run between $500 to $1000 for the total show for permission to arrange. If someone chose to use more than one tune by any of those composers, they could easily run their "permission to arrange" budget to well over $5000. That won't include rights for audio or video licensing which are seperate.

That composers are picky about how their music is used is fine. That they are pricing it so exorbitantly that even quality organizations with respected arrangers and instructors cannot program their literature for an educational setting is in my mind, counterproductive for them.

I'll be voting with my band budget pocket book and will no longer be purchasing some of that literature for my program. I'll also be encouraging the corps I work with to stay away from those composers who don't support our activity with REASONABLE fees in line with the industry standards.

While I hate I won't expose my kids to SOME of that literature, I also don't intend to support composers that refuse to support our educational efforts by programming and exposing our kids to their literature, whether it be with our marching bands or drum corps.

Hope the 'Coats get their issues resolved, but it looks like the battles are only going to get worse in the future as some folks try to make the almighty buck.

Later, AA

well the issue stands with he Lawyer for Steven Mellilo (sp?)... Apperently somthing will be worked out before the end of the season but right now there is no level ground. Obviously the Lawyer is looking out for his clients best intrests. But i can't see why DCI cannot make the APD without the Mellilo tune included. At least it's somthing for people to hear.

well the issue stands with he Lawyer for Steven Mellilo (sp?)... Apperently somthing will be worked out before the end of the season but right now there is no level ground. Obviously the Lawyer is looking out for his clients best intrests. But i can't see why DCI cannot make the APD without the Mellilo tune included. At least it's somthing for people to hear.

Perhaps we should flood Steve Melillo Publishers with some gentle but firm letters and email expressing our disappointment with them not being supportive of a non-profit youth activity and how they'll burn in #### for what they're doing.

Ok - maybe not that last part.

Anybody got an address - snail or email?

By contrast, we performed some Don Ellis music last year and I got the nicest letter from his son saying how thrilled they were to see us exposing HS students to his literature and granting use without paying ANY fee. 

Now THAT'S cool. ^OO^

If only ALL composers could take that kind of attitude!

Melillo is notorious for being very strict with his copyright. I have heard that he gave the Bluecoats clearance to perform the piece but will not give synchonization rights to publish their performances in an audio or video format.

Edited by gbass598

Does anyone know what this might mean for the live Quarterfinals broadcast at theaters? I'm going just so I get to see my corps more than once this summer...I won't be happy if they can't show the Bluecoats show that night...

Stephanie