Judges Anti-Phantom?

Obviously, the judges aren't litteraly anti-regiment, but it sure seems like it.  Best show they've had in years but are still being put in the average position that they've been in for the past several years, 5.

There is no way that any other hornline in DCI can touch PR this year except the cleanliness of the Cavies.  Cadets .2 over PR? Yea right.

I think the judges also need to appreciate how truely musical PR's show is.  Two pieces that are the cornerstones of American music Raphsody and American in Paris.  And crap like Kill Bill and Dance Derby are being placed ahead of it? 

I'm sick and tired of these musically insufficient shows being scored highed than true quality.  What do you guys think?

...Sometimes I wish that you had to have marched or have some sort of musical brainpower to post on DCP.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to Adam Sage this is the best Phantom guard, ever. Leaps and bounds above the last few years. They struggled for a while, especially in design/technique, but I think that is solved.

Their guard is being rewarded very well this season, as they should.

I have not seen this year's show, but...I was under the impression that this year's drill was significantly better than it has been?  And that the guard was also significantly better?  I'm just a dumb brass player...I wouldn't know if the guard wrote and executed better guard work...that's just not my arena.

As for the drum book itself, I have heard many compliments about it being competitive, but I'll have to defer to you because I am not a percussionist either.  And I haven't seen the show live.

I am quite sure they are doing all three, especially in the guard area. Check out their guard scores this year in comparison to last year. They're doing a wonderful job.

I'll believe it when PR:

1. Writes more competetive drill.

2. Writes and executes better guard work.

3. Writes a competetive drum book.

One of the things that catapulted the 1996 show to the top was the inclusion of the three factors I mentioned above.  While I love PR's show, I don't see the building blocks of a Championship show.  Top Brass?  Maybe, but nothing else.

First off, I would just like to appologize for my original post. After sleeping on it, and cooling down a bit, I realized that most of what I said is inacurate.

1. The judges aren't anti-phantom, and that shouldn't have been the title of this thread.

2. The Cadets' and BD's shows aren't crap. I marched a few years ago in a very competitive corps. and know first hand the effort these kids put into each show. To say that any show is crap is frankly unsupportive of the activity.

3. I have two very good friends marching in both Regiment and Cadets this year. So its nothing against the Cadets. I only wish that other corps put more of an emphasis on the music as is obvious PR does. I realize that the big picture is what is most important to dci, afterall it is worth 40% of the overall score. Here in lies my complaint. Why is the music only worth 30% compared to the 40% of GE?

I guess its just my opinion that music should be valued more.

4. Having always been a HUGE Regiment fan, its just frustrating to hear all of this talk about this "being the year" and seeing how amazing it is on the field, with only close to the same results so far as in years past.

Sorry to those who I offended and hopefully regiment can kick it up a few.

4.  Having always been a HUGE Regiment fan, its just frustrating to hear all of this talk about this "being the year" and seeing how amazing it is on the field, with only close to the same results so far as in years past.

How many people were saying "This is the year" in 96?

The Regiment is great this year...that's what's important. :worthy:

3. I have two very good friends marching in both Regiment and Cadets this year. So its nothing against the Cadets.  I only wish that other corps put more of an emphasis on the music as is obvious PR does.  I realize that the big picture is what is most important to dci, afterall it is worth 40% of the overall score.  Here in lies my complaint.  Why is the music only worth 30% compared to the 40% of GE?

I guess its just my opinion that music should be valued more.

GE may be 40%, but only half of that is in music...so, music performance is worth more

actually not.  DCI history shows us that only one (1) corps in 5th at finals has tied for a winning caption.  Blue Devils 1991, tied Star of Indiana for Brass.

This is, of course, supposing that things remain the same and Regiment stays in 5th...with Madison less than a point ahead, and Bluecoats less than a point behind, this is by no means a given.

As far as Regiment's ongoing visual problems...they've had 10 designers in the last 13 years...could it be that the drill designers are told not to write the drill too difficult for the sake of preserving the integrity of the brass performance? I saw Jamey Thompson's drill when he wrote for Glassmen, and it seemed to be pretty good...yet some are saying that his stuff for Regiment is not good. Could it be that there is a limit imposed on the drill writers for Regiment?

As I said in my Murfreesboro post. Phantom gave me goose bumps. Everything in their show worked for me. The change of color, The umbrellas, Hitting the impact points at exactly the right time with the right set of colors and the right visual formations. I did think they beat Madison and I thought they were real close to if not better than the Devils last night. I just thought the Cadets have so much content in every section and Cavies have boat loads of talent. There's still three weeks left. Phantom has a great show!

Edited by Sexyguardcap

I have not seen this year's show, but...I was under the impression that this year's drill was significantly better than it has been?  And that the guard was also significantly better?  I'm just a dumb brass player...I wouldn't know if the guard wrote and executed better guard work...that's just not my arena.

As for the drum book itself, I have heard many compliments about it being competitive, but I'll have to defer to you because I am not a percussionist either.  And I haven't seen the show live.

I've seen the show once from a low position early in the season, and I'm in no place to truly judge the show either. I was speaking generally about PR's design strengths and weaknesses, and the fact that I haven't seen a significant step forward to compete with Cavies or Cadets. Compare that to PR96, where my jaw dropped on the first viewing. (I believe my comment was, "When did they get a drum line?" :) )

They have had an excellent show for the third year in a row, and it shouldn't matter if they are in first or fifth or eigth or fifteenth. I'd love the see them take the Brass title this year, and truly think they have a shot at it. But arguing that the judges are anti-PR... that's not correct.