Judges Anti-Phantom?

Phantom Regiment has had the most overrated hornline over the last 4 years in DCI. Every year people talk about how great it is put they never win top horn honors in the finals. Quit talking about the hornline and just focas on winning another DCI title. " Titles make greatness"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom Regiment has had the most overrated hornline over the last 4 years in DCI.  Every year people talk about how great it is put they never win top horn honors in the finals.  Quit talking about the hornline and just focas on winning another DCI title.  " Titles make greatness"

That overrated hornline took third in horns tonight.

Yea, your right, when I think great American music or any music for that matter, I think of Kill Bill. 

Maybe DCI should get back to looking for what really matters, great music played well, instead of giving points for a door on the 50.

They are looking at what really matters. I'm not sure if you've seen the Cadets' show this year, but it's not all gimmicks as you may think. These kids can PERFORM! They have a great visual program to go along with VERY well played music. Their brassline absolutely blew me away when I saw them in Bristol, and until tonight, I thought their percussion section was untouchable. DCI doesn't have to be all about classical music. There are many other genres out there that can be considered great music other than "American" music. I can also do without the door and all the gimmicks, but unlike you, I am able to look past that and see the show for what it is... extremely talented kids playing some very difficult stuff and EXCELLING at it.

Maybe DCI isn't the problem... maybe your closed-mindedness and personal bias is the problem here.

People complain about Cadets borg and Blue borg, but posts like this (and others) make me realize that there's a very sizable Phantom borg out there too.

The judges have an anti-Phantom bias?? What, exactly, would cause that? I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that these other corps could be, i don't know, better?? If you love Phantom's shows, then why do you care so much where they finish?

Phantom Regiment has had the most overrated hornline over the last 4 years in DCI.  Every year people talk about how great it is put they never win top horn honors in the finals.  Quit talking about the hornline and just focas on winning another DCI title.  " Titles make greatness"

huh... cause when I saw them in wichita, they were nails. Ripped my face off in every way possible. I loved it.

No one else came CLOSE to that at that show. (and Cadets and SCV were there).

My advice to the original poster is to learn how to enjoy the show more so than the placement. Phantom Regiment is an amazing corps. Always has been. Their horns are amazing, and I always love the music they perform. But the Cadets and others have performed great music, and are doing so this year. Is this Cadets show my favorite? NO. But I do love it. But it's not my favorite because there were others in which they performed some incredible music that I liked better (all the 1980s, late 1990s). But it's not what you perform as much as how you perform it. If you look at the recaps you will see that Phantom is right in the picture for a possible high brass trophy in August. But to say that they are better than everyone is perhaps not true, yet. But hey, I have heard the APDs and I can see this show winning high brass come finals. Heck yeah I can.

Jonathan

People complain about Cadets borg and Blue borg, but posts like this (and others) make me realize that there's a very sizable Phantom borg out there too. 

Great observation... there's a huge Phantom borg population that gets very, very, very upset with any criticism of Phantom, particularly the brass section. The original poster underscores the prevailing sentiment -- when the corps can't get it done against Cavies, BD, Cadets (and others), blame it on the judges. This sentiment was unusually strong during the 2003 season. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's ludicrous to subsrcibe to the conspiracy theory that year in and year out the judges are anti-Phantom. Instead of whining about how the judges secretely conspire to hold back Phantom in brass, why not talk about how the judges are acknowledging the great strides Phantom has presumably made in the percussion (tie for 3rd) and visual performance (2nd) captions? I guess those judges didn't attend the preseason anti-Phantom meetings. :P

Congratulations to Phantom for a strong 3rd place finish in brass and to Cavies and Cadets for an even stronger finish in brass!

Edited by jcn8

Obviously, the judges aren't litteraly anti-regiment, but it sure seems like it.  Best show they've had in years but are still being put in the average position that they've been in for the past several years, 5.

I'll believe it when PR:

1. Writes more competetive drill.

2. Writes and executes better guard work.

3. Writes a competetive drum book.

One of the things that catapulted the 1996 show to the top was the inclusion of the three factors I mentioned above. While I love PR's show, I don't see the building blocks of a Championship show. Top Brass? Maybe, but nothing else.

Edited by Pinwiz