• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no one made a mistake.

show ended up how it ended up.

~>conner

I heard they won best narration though... :worthy:

or, maybe, JUST maybe, BD actually WAS 6th in brass.

~>conner

or, maybe, JUST maybe, BD actually WAS 6th in brass.

~>conner

No, I was at the show and BD was easily top 3 in brass. I had them in first, to be honest. There were times when The Cadets and Cavaliers were underwhelming and seemed limited in their dynamics.

Oh, I do. I'll never forget a mistake I made judging guard. It was a prelims/finals scenario, and for whatever reason the caption awards were based on prelims, not finals. In one of the classes, I gave the top score to a particular guard, and at that time I really thought they deserved it. But, doing my tape for each guard at finals, I clearly saw my mistake and knew I should've given the top score to another guard. But, by that time, it was too late.

You're right, that judging is highly subjective. But I also think that subjectivity can lead to mistakes. It certainly did for me, in that particular instance.

This is why I beleive that any and all caption scoring needs to be done AFTER all the corps have performed. This will allow the judges to rank, with spreads, accordingly. It will also remove the pressure of numbers management.

Hey, corps are already compared when they compare, so why not just make it "more legit".

I do find this as a surprise, espcially because (And correct me if I am wrong) but the hornline has a LOT of vets in it this year as opposed to last year? I believe that is what I was told by a current member.

This is why I beleive that any and all caption scoring needs to be done AFTER all the corps have performed.  This will allow the judges to rank, with spreads, accordingly.  It will also remove the pressure of numbers management.

Hey, corps are already compared when they compare, so why not just make it "more legit".

That's asking a lot of the judges. You're asking them to listen to 12 entire corps performances, then score and rank them. That can put the first corps in a precarious position....it will have been so long since the judge heard them that they may not be able to recall the show well enough to put a proper score on it.

Just about the only way that would work is if the judges do their tapes of the shows, then after the event is done lock themselves in a room and listen to their tapes in random order, then score the captions. This would most likely mean that scores don't get determined until the next day, however.