A Short Guide to Winson-Salem

*NOTICE: NO TRACK!*  Up-close and personal!  (minus the slight curvature)

Sweet!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the base lines?

10 to one i hear the pits fine upstairs

As a transplanted Floridian, now living in Winston-Salem, I feel I should offer a layman's guide to the area, as well as a few of my own suggstions for things to try in and around the area.

The major commercial areas, as well as dining centers can be plotted to specific areas easily traversed in the span of 15 - 30 minutes.[br]

To simplify, take out your map of Winston-Salem and plot the following:

Intersection #1: (1 exit west of I-40 interchange)

Jonestown Rd

Hanes Mall Blvd

Intersection #2

Hanes Mall Blvd

Stratford Rd

(I-40)

Intersection #3

Stratford Rd

Intersection #4

Hanes Mall Blvd

Silas Creek Pkwy

Now Highlight the follwing roads:

-Hanes Mall Blvd in its entirety.

-Stratford Rd from Hanes Mall Blvd to 421

It is in these areas that you will find the highest concentration food/shopping in Winston-Salem.

Also note the following for easy reference:

-You can take Silas Creek PKWY north from Hanes Mall Blvd to get to the Wake Forest / Coliseum area.

-You can cut through the neighborhood north of 421/Stratford via 1st street, to get to the downtown area -- but you will have to do so at a wonky 5 way intersection called "5-points" so choose your road carefully ( if you are travelling north on straford from 421 -- AT THE LIGHT, your furthest left turn will be Country Club *almost a U-Turn*, Your left will actually be an extension of stratford, forward -veering to the right will be 1st street heading towards downtown, your furthest right will be Miller St.)

-To get Downtown via The Hwy system, I recommend the Cherry St. exit on 421 or the 3rd-4rth-5th Street off from Hwy-52.

-You can get from Downtown to the Coliseum Area (and vice versa) via Cherry Street/University Pkwy

- Just North of the Coliseum area on University Pkwy is another sizable cell of food/dining...up to and including the intersection of University Pkwy and North Point Blvd (aka Silas Creek Pkwy).

Winston-Salem, for the most part, is NOTlaid out on a Grid. If you do not plan ahead, or stick near the Highways, you will probably get lost. :sshh:

[align=center]

:blink:

^_^

If you like things hot and spicy, I'll give my obligatory nod to Texas Pete:

orange2.jpg.

Many restraunts will carry it, as Winston is Texas Pete's hometown. Aside from their namesake hot-sauce, they have a few wing-sauce varieties that are also very tastey.

^_^

Just off from downtown is a little coffee shop by the name of Morning Dew:

115367_s.JPG

1047 Burke Street Winston-Salem, NC 27101 (336)723-JAVA

They brew (and roast) some of the best coffee I have ever tasted. I prefer Their so-named "B1tch's Brew" as a hot coffee, and their dutch coffee smoothie for a cold drink. Please note...do NOT mention Starbucks while there, and please use the proper pronunciation of eSpresso, not eXpresso.... Especially if the owner, Jim Brady, is present. :blink:

^_^

If you were wondering and prefer your coffee more mainstream, there are Starbucks present in Winston-Salem - All of them relatively new.

small_starbucks_logo.gif

The Closest to Groves Stadium is located at 3331 Robinhood Road -- (336) 768-1221

Also, apparently, there is one Downtown... though I have never been there personally. 460 N Cherry Street. -- (336) 722-0676

^_^

For a sweet tooth try another based-in-winston-company called Krispy Kreme.

krispy.jpg

Nothing beats a HOT -- MADE FRESH Krispy Kreme plain glazed Doughnut. If you see the window neon on that means get 'em while their Hot!!! *Incidently, many of their locations will do a Fundraiser/Group discount If you are ordering in the obscene quantities required to feed a Drum Corps, though you may want to call in advance.

^_^

If you'd like a good (alternative?) choice to Fast Food, try Cook Out.

Who thought food from a double-wide could be SO good?

^_^

Also, Bojangles

BojFCBlogomed.jpg

A chicken based chain, that is not yet national.

^_^

Breakfast? Biscuitville!!!

biscuitville_1.gif

Fast, easy, cheap and Healthy! Not open for lunch or dinner though.... most run hours kin to 5-11 A.M.

^_^

A good fairly-local (Greensboro) brew to try is Red Oak.

redoak-logo.gif

:worthy:

While on the topic of Alcohol in North Carolina, keep in mind that liquor MUST be purchased from an ABC Store" (Alcoholic Beverage Control) unless from a restraunt for personal consumption. Most of these Close at 9 PM though a few will stay open till 10 PM. The sale of Alcoholic beverages if ANY kind, ceases at 2 am (if memory serves).

b**bs

I am unaware of any local tobacco products of note, save RJ Reynolds products of course. Winston-Salem and North Carolina, however, might be the lowest ciggarette and tobacco related prices you'll find -- in the COUNTRY. A popular destination for many passers-through, is JR's, where you can buy tobacco products (and other things) at some of the cheapest prices in the state. And, in mass quantity. Nearest to W-S, would be the Statesville (west on I-40) and Burlington (East on I-40) locations. Don't fret however. If you are driving you can find JR's all over the state. Usually, not far from state-lines, just off majorly traveled highways.

:worthy:

Since you are visiting the South...you might favor trying the Sweet tea, of course. Mind you unless you are dining someplace prissy and Northern-like, the sweet tea will be just that. Sweet and tea. Sickeningly sweet...More sugar than water...tea. Over Ice. I like it. You might not.

There is not much to say about nightlife in Winston-Salem, aside from bars and restraunts. There are a few hidden Gems out there ... but shouldn't be explored at this time, mainly because, LMS-South and the DCA Preview of Champions (and all accompanying bounts of chaos and insanity) will be in operation during the same time frame.

Have fun, I hope to see everyone, and have a great weekend! Feel free to email me at Aezuriel@aol.com if you have any local-perspective questions. ^OO^

***edit -- unable to fix gross Spelling error in the post TITLE!!! WtG! Sorry all!

Edited by Aezuriel

This is very helpful. I am printing it out and taking it with me. We will be at the Greensboro airport at 12:30pm tomorrow. Sounds like Texas Pete and a Red Oak for lunch. Thanks very much

A good fairly-local (Greensboro) brew to try is Red Oak.

redoak-logo.gif

While on the topic of Alcohol in  North Carolina, keep in mind that liquor MUST be purchased from an ABC Store" (Alcoholic Beverage Control) unless from a restraunt for personal consumption.  Most of these Close at 9 PM though a few will stay open till 10 PM.  The sale of Alcoholic beverages if ANY kind, ceases at 2 am (if memory serves).

Really, this is all you needed to put in your post. :P

thanks. i gotta remember to print this

Where are we sitting, Jeff? :)