Teal Sound moves to Div. III

I am a drum corps parent, like it or not, that’s what I am. My son marches with Teal Sound and is very proud to be a part of that organization. These kids are tremendous, and I couldn’t ask for a better organization for my son. Like a family, good or bad, he is there for them first and foremost. He gives 100% of himself on and off the field. For this, I’m very thankful that he’s such a wonderful, caring human being. His dream is to pursue music as a career, and marching in drum corps is one of the more ambitious undertakings he and his fellow members willingly do, why I’m not sure, but they love it.

I supported him when he marched for Court of Honor, which, by the way, was a major undertaking on his part to convince me to let him participate in drum corps. He now marches for Teal Sound, and I’m sure, God willing, he’s going to march division one someday.

I offered my assistance to help Teal Sound in any way possible. This includes helping to keep the books for them, raising money and food donations, and just about anything else the board of directors would have me do in order to make sure my son’s dreams, and those of the other members can be realized by making it to finals, which apparently is a big to do with drum corps and fans alike.

I’ve noticed since the previous post I made, a few have chosen to read between the lines, establish motive, and worse have gone to the extent to state the egos of the staff has had something to do with this unfortunate request for a change in division. The board of directors is currently on the road with the corps, and have kept them fully informed of all developments. The staff is there too, but they were not the ones asking for the change, it was in fact the board of directors making the request.

The intent of this corps was never to steal anything from anyone, let alone another drum corps. For the outsiders looking in, I’m sure it’s easy to speculate about the rationales and motivations, especially when they are not privileged with all the facts. Shooting from the hip, and not being fully informed can be very dangerous to say the least, and at worst lends itself to a lynch mob mentality.

I for one, am very sorry that any postings made by me as an individual would have led to such wild and unanticipated speculation about Teal Sound: however, my efforts were well intended and not without appropriate direction and approval of those empowered to make such decisions.

Suffice it to say, Teal Sound will continue to perform, and participate as a Division II corps. Please, put away your guns, and don’t shoot me just yet, I’m still learning. John Pittman, thank you for all your efforts, and your continued work as the President of the Board of Directors for Teal Sound. A special thank you to the members of the steering committee, JW, and Dan for allowing Teal to stay in Division II. And my biggest thanks to my son, for being so wonderful, and allowing me to be apart of your musical life, good luck at finals, and I love you very much.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bari-nice, it's parents like yourself that make drum corps what it is, a youth activity that builds young men and women to be the next generations leaders.

By allowing your son to participate in this great activity that myself and thousands of others have participated, you let him gain the leadership and confidence qualities that so many have develped.

Drum corps needs thousands more parents like yourself, who have the confidence in the organization that your child decides to march in. Too many parents just drop their kids off at the bus and pick them up when they come back after two months being on the road.

Please continue to suppport not only the corps your son decides to march in but most importantly, YOUR SON!!!

Thanks.

ODBC

Drum Corps ALUMNI

1969-78

It's always interesting how these topics evolve. If we first assumed positive intent in these discussions, understanding would come somewhat easier. The irony of a “discussion board” is somewhat comical. Just by the design of this technology clarity has to be at the forefront of the post or things tend to spiral away from the original thought.

Bari-nice, I hope to have the opportunity to have my kids in the activity such as yourself and sometimes have to restrain myself from being the drum corps version of the little league parent.

Kudos to you and have a great summer.

William

I just wanted to say good luck to Teal Sound....I saw them at the show at Oxford, AL and they sure turned my head!! I have seen only a few Div II corps before, and my expectations weren't very high. I thought they had a very well designed show and the colorguard was fantastic....more equipment work than some Div I corps, IMO. They also have one heck of a drum major, who won an award while at Court of Honor that was presented at Finals night at Denver last year. :worthy:

I'm sorry to hear they have lost so many members, but I still think they will remain very competitive.

I think some of you who responded with such negativity to this situation should be ashamed of yourself. Yes, your concerns may have been valid, but some of the comments and they way they were presented on here were out right ridiculous. <**>

They did what was right...they fell below the required number of people to march Div II and reported it to DCI Officials. It would only make sense that they move to Div III since there appears to be no written rule about what is to occur if a Div II corps loses enough members during the season to not qualify for that division. To say their egos played a role and that there only intension of continuing the season is to win a medal is just plain ignorant.

IMO, they did everything as they should have under the circumstances.

I was very impressed with the level of performance coming frm Teal Sound when I had the pleasure to see them at DCM championships in Dekalb. It had been a few years since seeing them and was impressed with the maturity of their hornline. Best wishes for the remainder of this season.

I think some of you who responded with such negativity to this situation should be ashamed of yourself. Yes, your concerns may have been valid, but some of the comments and they way they were presented on here were out right ridiculous. <**>

They did what was right...they fell below the required number of people to march Div II and reported it to DCI Officials. It would only make sense that they move to Div III since there appears to be no written rule about what is to occur if a Div II corps loses enough members during the season to not qualify for that division. To say their egos played a role and that there only intension of continuing the season is to win a medal is just plain ignorant.

IMO, they did everything as they should have under the circumstances.

I think that this topic and thread is a good example of the GOOD that can come from a forum like DCP. I've enjoyed watching the topic evolve and resolve; usually in a thoughtful, respectful, and intelligent manner. So thanks to you all who've contributed to it.

I'm hoping someone (Maybe the II/III Exec. Dir? or Dan A?) can clarify for us all exactly what the current II/III rules are re: II and eligibility. I thought May 15 was the deadline to declare your status (II or III). I know of no rules caveat that states that an 85 member corps who marches in Div II MUST change to Div III during the competition season (say June or July) if their membership reduces below 70 members. Is it a requirement that they MUST change to III? I don't think so. So, can someone please help me to understand?

Personally, I have LOVED watching Teal Sound for the last two years. Their staff takes a unique approach to our idiom and it is most refreshing, and distinctive. Marching in competitive drum corps is a life-changing experience; we drum corps junkies already know that. So do all the kids who are out there right now traveling, rehearsing, and performing. It's an AWESOME experience! And the Teal Sound members will be enriched by it; whether in II or III.

On another note, someone posted that Teal will be on the road for a total of 72 days? True? If so, WOW. That's an incredibly long season, isn't it? Could THAT be the possible reason for so many kids dropping out? Personally, if I had a 14 or 15-yr. old daughter, I'd be possibly concerned for her being on the road with a corps for that long. Regardless of the integrity, conscientiousness, and constant supervision of staff, parents, and chaperones. That is a VERRRY long time to me.

Thanks.

Jim

Teal Sound is still a young corps, and obviously have alot of room to grow.

they WILL give Division 3 a VERY good run, and it is a very good chance they will win it, and we will see them at Division 2/3 finals regardless.

best of luck to them for the rest of the season.

~>conner

Just saw Teal Sound tonight at Van Buren. Great show!! Finshed 3rd out of the 5 Div II's there. I kinda think Memphis got ripped on their score but things like that are always subjective...

Glad to seem them still in Div II and very competitive.

Oh and Chris(Psiguy) if you see this post... #### MAN you bump the size of the sig banner gif we are linking to or what?? :P

Edited by WWonka

okay, so they decided to stay division 2?

lol, sorry guys... confused.

~>conner