Teal Sound moves to Div. III

okay, so they decided to stay division 2?

lol, sorry guys... confused.

~>conner

They were given permission by DCI to continue at the Divison II level for the remainder of the season.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My concern with Teal's membership problem is that several kids went home. One post did explain that some of the guard were winter guard kids from Texas. Did Teal ship kids from Texas to bolster the numbers? Possibly kids that didn't do winter camps and had no real idea of what was involved in a full (72 days) drumcorps type tour?

I am all for giving as many kids a chance to participate in DCI as possible, but the fact that several kids took the chance to bail out when in their home state doesn't sound right to me.

I have marched/taught corps when one or two kids bailed out, but never enough kids bailed to cause this type of problem.

My question: Was Teal Sounds membership fiasco a direct result of poor planning or just bad luck?

I marched with Memphis Sound in its charter season in 2003. I for one, was the horn sergeant who went through #### and back. In early June, I got a bad case of epididymitis, then in late June I got pneumonia and had to sit out for a week or 2, then in Mid-July, I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis. I know how rough the heat can be on someone. It is very unfortunate that these kids went home, but perhaps they weeded out the bad by sending them home. I thought about going home several times that summer, but I'm not a quitter, I couldn't let myself give up. I cried all the way to the end, never ending a show without having at least one bronchial spasm. My point is, I don't understand how that many people could have gone home. I think that Teal Sound has developed into a wonderful organization, and I hope all is well internally as well as externally. I saw them as well as my former corps in Jackson on the 30th and I was floored. No matter what the division, they will keep trucking. Kudos to all the div 2/3 corps I've seen thus far, b/c they definitely have progressed since I marched 2 years ago.

BTW, the numbers I saw on the field was not the same as what was in the proposal. Did they gain some back??

I marched with Memphis Sound in its charter season in 2003.  I for one, was the horn sergeant who went through #### and back.  In early June, I got a bad case of epididymitis, then in late June I got pneumonia and had to sit out for a week or 2, then in Mid-July, I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis.  I know how rough the heat can be on someone. It is very unfortunate that these kids went home, but perhaps they weeded out the bad by sending them home.  I thought about going home several times that summer, but I'm not a quitter, I couldn't let myself give up.  I cried all the way to the end, never ending a show without having at least one bronchial spasm.  My point is, I don't understand how that many people could have gone home.  I think that Teal Sound has developed into a wonderful organization, and I hope all is well internally as well as externally.  I saw them as well as my former corps in Jackson on the 30th and I was floored.  No matter what the division, they will keep trucking.  Kudos to all the div 2/3 corps I've seen thus far, b/c they definitely have progressed since I marched 2 years ago.

BTW, the numbers I saw on the field was not the same as what was in the proposal.  Did they gain some back??

You are the type of dedicated young performer that ANY director would be PROUD to have in his organization. Such tenacity! :worthy: Kudos to you for sticking it out. :huh:

And I agree with you in wondering how many people bailed out. I saw them in Orlando in June and was floored by their progress...However, is there something else going on that possibly adminsitration needs to address?

• 2 weeks later...
My concern with Teal's membership problem is that several kids went home.  One post did explain that some of the guard were winter guard kids from Texas.  Did Teal ship kids from Texas to bolster the numbers?  Possibly kids that didn't do winter camps and had no real idea of what was involved in a full (72 days)  drumcorps type tour?

I am all for giving as many kids a chance to participate in DCI as possible, but the fact that several kids took the chance to bail out when in their home state doesn't sound right to me.

I have marched/taught corps when one or two kids bailed out, but never enough kids bailed to cause this type of problem.

My question: Was Teal Sounds membership fiasco a direct result of poor planning or just bad luck?

The Texas kids DID go through Winter camps... they were held seperately in Texas. In March, the Florida kids and the Texas kids had one camp together to learn drill. But the times we were not together, camps were held in Florida for the FL kids and at the same time or a weekend later, were held in TX for the Texas kids.

It was a decision they made and some of them had no choice but to leave due to family emergencies. One of our guard members had to go home in Texas because his family found out his grandmother was dying... It had absolutely nothing to do with "not being able to handle it". The others made the choices they made. Those that have done Drum Corps know its no walk in the park...

After coming back from being on tour and reading this negativity from other people talking about how all we cared about was a ring and a medal and we were trying to "steal" away the championship from other DIII corps is really quite insulting.

After losing our members, we all understood that we were below the mark for DII and it was POSSIBLE we may move down to DIII. I admire our staff for keeping DCI informed. I would have rather reported our number loss and had DCI decide what was okay and not okay than hiding it.

I don't appreciate those insulting the corps as a whole and making our staff out to be winning-hungry monsters.

"Hey, DCI... we lost a few members and we wanted to let you know that we are now in the median between DII and DIII. Should we go DIII due to our adjusted size or are we still allowed to stay DII?": that's all it was. It was never "Hey kids. We're not gonna win DII... so lets go beat up the DIII kids and get us a ring!!!!"

For those of you who felt compelled to assume these things about Teal, you must not understand why people do Drum Corps- It isn't about a ring or a medal. It's about becoming a family with a group of people and learning about life. It's shallow to think that that's all our corps is about because in my eyes, a medal or a ring couldn't come close to symbolizing what I gained this summer.

I understand why your first reaction would have been 'They're going to DIII just so they can win/metal'. I probably would have assumed the same thing if I were in your shoes. But that wasn't the case at all, as already told in previous posts. I speak for the members by saying we just had one goal in mind: perform the best that we can.

Some members went home due to family troubles. Others, because they were not enjoying the experience. And hey, drum corps not for everyone, right?

Edited by lothlorien89