Phantom's Wedge

I'm really surprised this hasn't been talked about in any reviews (even mine, come to think about it), but one of the moments in Regiment's show that I just love is when close to the end of the show they bring back the giant triangle, big music & back it up the field moment they used to do in the late 80s/early 90s. A WAY cool moment for me and so fun to see an old tradition brought back. Bravo Phantom!

Harvey

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's known within the corps as the "Iceberg." I know it was done for many consecutive years -- at least 1987 to 1992.

G

And just about every marching band I did visual design for during those years asked for one of those "cool backwards pushes, you know, like Phantom!".

How could I not oblige?

:)

Thanks for giving me the right term, Greg. The Iceberg! Cool. And so awesome to see it again. (thought about it today as I was listening to the S.A. APD).

Harvey

We've got icebergs again?

NICE! b**bs

Thanks for giving me the right term, Greg.  The Iceberg!  Cool.  And so awesome to see it again.  (thought about it today as I was listening to the S.A. APD).

Harvey

I think the term was coined because the first year it happened was 1987, the year of "Songs from the Winter Palace." Let's see...they used it in 1987, 1988, 1989 (and it was so spectacularly clean in 1989 that to me, it always looks like the field itself is moving and the form is staying still). In 1990 they did it but added a couple of more triangular forms so it looked kinda boxy. We did it in 1991 during the first climax of "Nessun Dorma," and we did it in 1992 during the first hit in Marche Slave. John Brazale died ( :( ) after the 1992 season, so we haven't seen it out of the corps since then.

It's kinda nice to see some forms/moves from the old "glory days" of Regiment visual design starting to come back (crabwalk, leg kick, icebergs, etc).

For those of you who are fairly new to DCI, there was a time when Regiment was a bad-### in terms of visual. I believe they/we won Field Visual in 1987, 1990, 1991, and 1993, won GE Visual a couple of times.

Funny thing is...I don't recall ever winning Ensemble Visual, which is just plain weird, considering how #### clean they were in 1989 and 1990. In any case, back in the late 80s and the early 90s, there were two corps that were almost universally recognized as the best marching corps in terms of execution, body carriage and posture, etc. Those two corps were almost always in the top 3 of Field Visual, regardless of their scores in Ensemble Visual.

I know the Cavaliers and Blue Devils have dominated the visual categories lately, and that Regiment has been down in that caption, but it wasn't that long ago that Regiment was a visual powerhouse. Here's to hoping it can happen again. :)

<edited for filter circumvention: bluestarcontra>

Edited by bluestarcontra

For those of you who are fairly new to DCI, there was a time when Regiment was a bad-a55 in terms of visual.  I believe they/we won Field Visual in 1987, 1990, 1991, and 1993, won GE Visual a couple of times.

Funny thing is...I don't recall ever winning Ensemble Visual, which is just plain weird, considering how pi5s clean they were in 1989 and 1990.  In any case, back in the late 80s and the early 90s, there were two corps that were almost universally recognized as the best marching corps in terms of execution, body carriage and posture, etc.  Those two corps were almost always in the top 3 of Field Visual, regardless of their scores in Ensemble Visual.

There wasn't an ensemble judge in 1989 -- it was GE vis, perc and brass and PERF vis, perc and brass. The ensemble judge was added in 1990.

PR won field visual in 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1993. I think maybe in 1979, too. Oddly PR was 3rd in visual performance in 1996.

G

"I march in Phantom 'cause I like straight lines..."

Yeah, Regiment definately has more High Visual trophies than High Brass awards. Here's hoping that the forward momentum of the last five years continues.

Great news that the iceberg has been added to the show. Moreover, I cannot wait until Saturday to see Phantom.

Aside from this, will you all please, please, please consider bringing back the "Rockford files". In retrospect, as a young child, the crowd anticipated the colorguard doing the files (DCI midwest in whitewater, etc). It was a highlight to their show and the colorguard rocked!!! :worthy::worthy: Just think how the crowd would resond to this today?? Perhaps, as you look at show design for your 50th anniversary, this would be perfect to add. Please, Please, Please consider this!!!!

Thanks for a great show this year and good luck Regiment!!! :worthy:

Go Eric Clubb (the DUDE)!! B)

Oddly PR was 3rd in visual performance in 1996.

Not that odd when you consider how #### clean BD was and the level of demand that Cadets had that year. Plus you have to admit that no matter how #### cool Phantom '96 was musically and even though the visuals were perfect for the music, they weren't exactly on par in the demand category with the other top 6 corps. Not knocking the corps at all, afterall it is my favorite show of all time after Star '93.

Edited by MagicAlto99