Is The Cadets' Zone better than Stonehenge?

I think yes. I've watched both shows many times, and for sheer quantity of ideas, I see The Zone beating the '98 Stonehenge show's score.

With all the dirt that still needs to be cleaned, with a show design that's already winning high GE, the Cadets have scary potential to see their scores rise into the stratosphere. Whether or not you hate amps, you have to admit they're doing some staggeringly difficult stuff on that field. This show has had everyone talking for months, and has caused more debate about a single show than any I remember on this forum. That's what it's all about: get people thinking and push the envelope.

I have an old Garfield t-shirt that reads: "First we zigged, then everybody zigged, ZAG!". In 2005, for the first time in several years, the Cadets whole show is one ZAG after another. It's a joy to behold, wierd, ambiguous, tongue-in-cheek, deeply emotional, and lots of fun. It makes me think and makes me feel in equal measure. My God, what a show.

The Zone is that rarest of combinations: somehow equally esoteric and accessible. Amazing beginning to end.

This year, the Cadets are back in every way I can imagine. In fact, I think The Zone can be one of the greatest shows in the history of drum corps. It epitomizes what I love about drum corps. It's nothing short of art.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes IMO it is...i could do w/o the talking most deffinatly.

is it better then Stonehenge? IMO yes, at least from a design standpoint. This show really delivers from the effect standpoint and outright chalenges the Cavaliers in an area they've seemingly outright dominated for the past 5 years: Visual Effect.

That said, I wonder if it will be as clean as Stonehenge. That is going to have a lot to say about wether the Cadets excede that score, or even win the title this year.

At this point, I have to disagree...strongly, until I see it again in Allentown and FInals.

Stonehenge, however, is one of those shows, to me, that was perfect in all aspects. design, demand, performance, GE, appeal...everything. It was on another level and really shouldnt have been touched all year.

Visually, one of the best shows of all time, outstanding guard and the music, while never heard before to me, was appealing and I desired to hear it more and more.

I rate this 98 Cadets production as one of the ten best shows of all time...IMO, this years "the Zone" doesnt even come close.

~G~

I'd have to say The Zone destroys Stonehenge. As the original poster stated, they are definitely doing the ZAG this year. It is extremely effective and it breaks out of the gimmick/system phase that a lot of other corps have gotten caught up in. Look for Garfield to bring home the title.

Carlito

Stonehenge was a very bizarre show to try to explain to someone new to the activity. It was so abstract I just told people to appreciate it for what it was. And you know what? Everyone seemed to love it as it kept their interest even if they couldn't figure it out. The execution was scary, the effects (such as the quickly rising and falling backfield flags to the horn ripples that then disappeared in a flash...something Glassmen also did that year) were astounding and one was left knowing the envelope was pushed hard and and opened wide for the show.

The 2005 show does have some similarities. Early on, people just plain hated both shows. Later on, as execution improved, people grudgingly admired it. And now we have people claiming it's a work of art that transcends the realm of drum corps once again.

Shows such as this need time to percolate to find the right brew. It appears the coffee is now done and we can all sit back, relax, and take another look at what could have been a brave disaster and admit it's something we're going to be talking about for a long time (like Star 1993) and also admit that we're blessed to be here this year to see such a unique production that by the end of the season will work on all levels.

It may still not be your cup of tea/coffee/hot cocoa, whatever. But it's going to be fascinating to drink it in.

Mike

I did a review after their May concert in Allentown where I made that comparison. After seeing the gimmicks that have been added, I don't think it holds any longer.

Mike Boo said one had to take Stonehenge for what it was. This show struck me the same way when I heard it, but then schoolgirls and doors and backward uniforms TOLD me how to take it and it lost something.

I'll have to wait until the process is complete to make a decision. As much as I am loving 05, Stonehenge is one of my favorite shows ever, so 05 has a lot to live up to, and might just do it.

The last few minutes of Cadets 2005...am I the only one who thinks the last number resembles "Medea" a LOT? I couldn't help but notice some similar phrases that sounded like it...I dunno...it just sounded a whole lot like Star for a minute or two. Obviously two different songs...but it sounds quite interesting.