Rude Corps Staff...

I attended the evening show last night in Indianapolis. The show, the corps, and the fans were excellent. I had an amazing time and I know a ton of other people did as well. My only problem with the night occured after the intermission.

A particular corps was coming onto the field to set up for their performance... a group of 5 or so people with "corps staff" badges and members jackets from X corps coming on the field sat at the end of the aisle that I was sitting in. (cheap seat sitting :rolleyes: ) During X corps they were loud and screaming and what not for them. This was cool. It's their corps and they should be rooting for them. However, when the next corps to perform came out of the tunnel, they began booing and saying things like, "we've already beat these ******* why are they performing before us?" or screaming "you're all *enter name of particular sexual orientation here*."

Thankfully after M corps performed they left. But does anyone else find this sort of behavior, especially from "corps staff" unnaceptable?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unneccesary quoting removed. See guidelines for proper quoting procedures

Not for nothing, but based solely on information in your post, I would guess that the two corps involved were PR and Madison.

I'm not saying that the behavior is typical of PR's staff, just that the information you provided sort of gives it away. No?

Edited by EuphoniBone

Well, this sounds really odd.....I doubt that it was instructional staff (support staff and instructional staff have the same DCI badges). Why? you might ask. Well, having been on staff before....as soon as the corps plays its last note, the staff needs to be down on the field to assist with getting the corps off the field (helping with pit epuipment, props, flags ect.) By the time the next corps comes out off the tunel....instructional staff will already be out on the field away from the stands. Perhaps you witnessed support staff?

This happened to us in Dallas by X corps *couch* Bluecoats *cough*. It was not cool.

Well, this sounds really odd.....I doubt that it was instructional staff (support staff and instructional staff have the same DCI badges). Why? you might ask. Well, having been on staff before....as soon as the corps plays its last note, the staff needs to be down on the field to assist with getting the corps off the field (helping with pit epuipment, props, flags ect.) By the time the next corps comes out off the tunel....instructional staff will already be out on the field away from the stands. Perhaps you witnessed support staff?

That's most likely the case as they have the same staff passes as the instructional staff. Pretty bad representation of their corps, regardless of how they help out, though.

My only problem with the night occured after the intermission. 

Corps directors are usually very good with accepting both positive and negative comments, regarding show, staff, etc. Just a thought. If a corps staff member offended me, I'd let the director know. It's a youth activity, and staff members must set a good example.

this is very pathetic and a little unsettling. i understand corp members and staff invest a huge amount of time and commitment to the season but for a staff member, with a corps jacket on, sitting in the aisle during another corps performance and saying something degrading regarding the other corps, specifically "something about sexual orientation" just puts a bad reflection on that corps. It's unfortunate that a few idiots can speak for entire corps but many times when individuals act out like this it looks bad for the entire corps.

also considering that these indivduals used some inflammatory comment on "sexual orientation" of a corp is diluted to say the least.

I realize this country is incredibly polarized but I would think because there is a sizeable amount of gay people in corps, including designers and members that other staff members would be a little sensitive and a little more tolerant. After all, many of these corps would not have the products they have if individuals of a "specific sexual orientation" were not involved in the activity.

they do live together for the entire summer and for someone do make these comments is discouraging.

I'd venture to say that it probably wasn't instructional staff either as the previously stated aspect of them having to be down on the field assisting the corps at getting off in time is almost always true. I'd bet that it was some type of support staff. I don't know if other corps have this problem, but what seems to happen sometimes at regional shows is that people come out of the woodwork for a day or two to help out (open a couple cans of fruit, mix some kool-aid, etc...) with the corps just to get their hands on a corps credential to get in for free. I'd venture to say that it was probably someone more in that category than in any other. Regardless, it was still a poor representation of the corps in question and shouldn't be tolerated. At Pioneer we contantly stress the importance of "class"... The ability to do the right thing at the right time without being told. Most corps preach the same. Unfortunately, there's always a few individuals who miss the clue phone when it's ringing.

For the record the line-up following intermission was:

Bluecoats, then Phantom, then Madison. BD, Cadets, and Cavies rounded out the evening.

Edited by Machine