rantings on Nightbeat

Divisions II and II have their own scoring system.  Basically, if you take a division II/II score and subtract it by 10, that gives you a (very rough) indication of how that particular corps stacks up to their div. I brothers.  Well...at least that's my understanding.

20+ seems a little more accurate to me. Back in the day, corps that would jump from D2 to D1 after D2 championships would score high 60s-low 70s in division 1.

20+ seems a little more accurate to me.  Back in the day, corps that would jump from D2 to D1 after D2 championships would score high 60s-low 70s in division 1.

Yeah, generally speaking, aren't the criteria for Box 5 on D2/3 sheets the same as the criteria for Box 4 on the D1 sheets? So yeah, the scores would be about 20% better on average. I, for one, wish DCI would go back to judging all the corps on the same sheets at multi-division shows. It used to be that when there were six or seven "Open Class" corps and only one or two from Class A or A-60, they just all competed directly against one another according to the same judging criteria. I think that this business of "... and the gold medal in Division III goes to ..." is pretty idiotic when there's only one corps in D3 and the show to begin with. As an alumnus of an A-60 corps, I really dislike how the divisions are totally separated from one another these days.

Carolina Crown my score 89.4 ((actual score 88.05))

they also have one same weakness, and that is the drumline,

Just curious, what problems do you think Crown's drumline had last year that caused you to think it was a weakness? I understand what you see in the line this year, but what about last year's line was a problem?

Cary

the fact that it's about the same.

if anything, I see this line as an improvement over last year.

~>conner

Do you have a background in percussion?  What specific areas do you see as being weak in the two lines?  I don't think the two lines are even similar....my two cents.

Cary

I dont have any backround in percussion, no.

Crown had Spring training for 3 weeks at my school, and I got see ALOT of the drumline. It is a good line, but not playing to it's full potential, and I can say the same for the line last year.

~>conner

I dont have any backround in percussion, no.

Crown had Spring training for 3 weeks at my school, and I got see ALOT of the drumline. It is a good line, but not playing  to it's full potential, and I can say the same for the line last year.

~>conner

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I think that the fact that they had an entirely different percussion staff, a virtually different drum line, and are playing a completely different technique makes for a much different line this year than last. This year's line does not have the maturity of last year's IMO and I really think the guys last year played clean and right up to their potential. I'm not sure the same could be said this year. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. :blink:

Cary

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.  I think that the fact that they had an entirely different percussion staff, a virtually different drum line, and are playing a completely different technique makes for a much different line this year than last.  This year's line does not have the maturity of last year's IMO and I really think the guys last year played clean and right up to their potential.  I'm not sure the same could be said this year.  Just my opinion, I could be wrong. :blink:

Cary

the staff is different, but IMO better.

I myself see a better line than last year... The book is MUCH harder this year, and I think it's a little cleaner.

not much though. it's still the weakness.

~>conner