DCI Season Pass

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.....they've had a year to prepare for this knowing the limitations of Allentown and you'd think have developed a back up plan......again there is wireless internet access.... internet "trucks"  etc.....call t-mobile have them make the stadium a hot spot for the day...... sheesh the problem they say is with a modem....go to best buy and buy one for the stadium for them DCI's donation to Allentown......plug in a pda......okay rant off

A few things...

#1 - a modem won't cut it. For those of you that yell "cellular modem" - that'll get you text. They run optimally at 128kbps. Very often, you're lucky to get 56k.

#2 - the maintenance shed is what houses the connection at the stadium. Last year, they found that out, and quickly figured out a contingency plan. I'm sure they went into it with that plan in mind, only to find that lightning thwarted that plan. (Insert lightning/drum corps joke here)

#3 - they told everyone in advance

#4 - how much does an internet "truck" cost exactly?

I think the problem I have with your statement, "they've had a year to prepare for this knowing the limitations of Allentown" is this -- they DID prepare for the limitations. HOWEVER, if you show up, and those limitations are more limited, what do you do? There has to be a broadband connection to do video, right? There isn't one. Thanks to a lightning bolt, we all wait for tonight. Everyone can whine and complain how they aren't getting their money's worth, but it's idiotic to accuse the team of being unprepared.

Besides, they're still going to capture content, and post it later. Go out tonight. Go bowling. Play mini-golf. Go see a movie. Then tomorrow, enjoy the stuff.

But hey, it's the Planet. Where anyone can go and complain! And complain they do!

(For the twelve of you who actually are pleasant, positive, and debate with civility, that comment doesn't apply. :blink: )

dickalbert.jpg

Ok, I blame this big dip. :P

ha, ha! Where do you get your cool pictures and how do you put them on your reply?

I am glad I didn't get season pass either!!!! Will probably get a call before it goes online! :blink:

ha, ha! Where do you get your cool pictures and how do you put them on your reply?

I am glad I didn't get season pass either!!!!  Will probably get a call before it goes online! :blink:

Just Google Internet search and some free time at work every few minutes. :)

Just Google Internet search and some free time at work every few minutes. :)

Okay. but here is a "rookie" question. How do you get them to show up on your posts? I tried, but can't figure it out. Thanks!

Okay. but here is a "rookie" question.  How do you get them to show up on your posts? I tried, but can't figure it out. Thanks!

Okay, here ya go: :)

1. Find a pic...let's use 2004_dci_champs_cavaliers8.jpg an example.

2. Go up to the "http://" address bar of said pic, or right click on it and choose "properties"...then look for the URL. Copy the URL...in this case... it's http://www.fjminc.com/img/about/news/2004_dci_champs/2004_dci_champs_cavaliers8.jpg

3. Open a post on DCP, and go up to the button marked IMG. Once you click it, it will ask for an image link. Paste in the information from the previous step. You can then use the "Preview Post" option to see if it came out correctly. :)

That's all there is to it! B)

Edited by bawker

A few things...

#1 - a modem won't cut it.  For those of you that yell "cellular modem" - that'll get you text.  They run optimally at 128kbps.  Very often, you're lucky to get 56k.

#2 - the maintenance shed is what houses the connection at the stadium.  Last year, they found that out, and quickly figured out a contingency plan.  I'm sure they went into it with that plan in mind, only to find that lightning thwarted that plan.  (Insert lightning/drum corps joke here)

#3 - they told everyone in advance

#4 - how much does an internet "truck" cost exactly?

I think the problem I have with your statement, "they've had a year to prepare for this knowing the limitations of Allentown" is this -- they DID prepare for the limitations.  HOWEVER, if you show up, and those limitations are more limited, what do you do?  There has to be a broadband connection to do video, right?  There isn't one.  Thanks to a lightning bolt, we all wait for tonight.  Everyone can whine and complain how they aren't getting their money's worth, but it's idiotic to accuse the team of being unprepared.

Besides, they're still going to capture content, and post it later.  Go out tonight.  Go bowling.  Play mini-golf.  Go see a movie.  Then tomorrow, enjoy the stuff.

But hey, it's the Planet.  Where anyone can go and complain! And complain they do!

(For the twelve of you who actually are pleasant, positive, and debate with civility, that comment doesn't apply.  :blink:  )

Thanks for the lecture :)

That said - I've been doing business and service all my life - and last night was not handled properly by DCI in terms of best-practice business or service.

When you sell a service - ANY SERVICE - the golden rule is "under promise & over deliver" Last night the customer base was promised live coverage, a week ago the customer base got "live video" (also promised btw) with corrupted files so there was not sound and skipping video. So - unwatchable. Doesn't sound like a big deal? Well - those two comprise about a fifth of the entire coverage folks are paying for - ya know - that "live coverage with streaming video"

They sold "live coverage" of the major events. They provided none last night - none. Not even text updates from the stadium - surely someone had a blackberry. Obviously they were able to post that one early blurb on DCI.org regarding there coverage - that could have continued through the night with scores, mini-interviews, whatever - something live.

Oh - that's right - probably the person at DCI office wanted to go home for the day. Again - not cutting it - one of the biggest events of the year and you need to deliver on the promise to your customer base.

Then they go back to the hotel and I guess either grab a beer or head to bed. Not impressed by the fact that they didn't upload anything last night prior to hitting the hay. SOMETHING should have been posted prior to that.

Now - everyone (even us unreasonable customers) realize you can't have an emergency plan for everything - so I was pretty calm that last night they ran into a glitch.

That said - they had problems at Allentown the past two years they've been doing this live sort of coverage - me thinks it's about time they go up there a day early next year and work out the kinks prior so they can promise what's delivered.

No excuses - just good service. Like it or not DCI - you are a service organization.

And - there is no sleeping in service until that last customer is taken care of. Upload the content THEN sleep.

DCI's getting better - but I still think one of these days I need to pack up and move there to straighten out the remaining million issues. That - or I'll go move to Casper and take over Troopers so they can be the next "new" Champion. Haven't decided which yet. :)

I personally think that the problems have been out of their control. Technology is not always reliable. Secondly, how can we blame problems with the elements on DCI?