Allentown news

At saturday show, there was a high school band from nearby Quakertown Pa,

performing the National Athem. I say there was close to 100 members and they sound pretty good performing the Athem. I was hoping some of the corps in attendance, were at least talking to some of these band members for 2006 season. The herd someone associated with the school program, stated " drum corps were something new for a lot of them." I wonder how many high school kids aren't really familiar with the whole drum corps experiance? Hopefully, someone talked to some of these kids because I saw some corps that needed some members, as far as numbers go.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think many high school band students don't know about DCI....I know I didn't. I wish some corps would do more recruiting in more places than they do now....or figure out some ways to communicate what DCI is to the thousands of kids out there who have no idea it exists that would love to be a part of it if they did.

There were quite a few Quakertown kids in the stands, and a lot of them seemed to be pretty new to the activity. To be honest, most band kids in the western NJ/ northeast PA area don't know much about drum corps, even though many of them compete in USSBA. If they do recognize a corps, it's usually Cadets.

I'd agree that many don't know about DCI. For example, I just finished teaching at my old high school's band camp and dropped a bunch of corps names, at which most of them had a glazed look on their face. Luckily, the LIVE show is in a few days in which the director of the band worked it into his budget to take the entire band of 100 or so to see it!

Many more band kids will find out about drum corps after the ESPN2 broadcast :)

Thats not quite true, I just graduated from Souderton High School which is a neighbor of Quakertown, and everyone in our marching program knows about drum corps and has watched finals dvd's at least once. Reason being is that our director was a member of the cadets for a few years and still currently works for DCI, plus about five of the members for our marching band marched with a corps for at least two years or so.

So i guess what im saying is that most the time if at least three or so people from a marching band marched with a corps word would spread a little more.

beats me, just offering my opinion

Shane

Yup, and that's been going on since my era in the 70s. My band dir got very upset when he lost one (just one!) of us to a corps.

You might be surprised to find how many band directors DON'T tell their kids about drum corps......deliberately.

yup, had a good discussion about this in the chat last night, they need to get the word out there and put their own personal beliefs behind them.

Good morning:

Actually...after Cavaliers played their encore, I practicly had to hold my ears from the squealing teenage females. The band kids were hanging around the buses too - like groupies. It was a pretty cool thing to see. New for me to see anyway. They were really getting into the whole competition all weekend.

MAV