DCI Cinecast

My newbie significant other commented on the smallish crowd that was in attendance at Foxboro and asked if that was usually the case for finals week. Wasn't sure how to answer that one.

Q-Finals is a lot of bleacher time.. and the crowd that was there was about typical.. it gets fuller as the placement numbers get smaller..

That crowd will nearly double for Semis..

Stef

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm told that Harrisburg was about 2/3 full and that the amped pits seemed over balanced

Thats the problem with amps. With the mics up front they are completely overbalanced. During some solos, I couldn't even hear the soloist...just PLANK from the marimbas.

Narration can be a powerful tool when you're trying to draw in a listener and there's a real story going on. But that's true narration.

Poor guy from the Cascades sounded worse than a first time local news anchor in Tuscon. I think the guy behind us said it best when he screamed, "STOP TALKING!"

FWIW...I read that the text of the narration is from the original piece they are playing.

At A'town his voice sounded great in person...very resonant.

Mike

Just a note from the show. Backstage, the video was excellent, so any picture quality was at the theater end. I know that the direct-to-disc folks were having issues with sync and had to be correcting it to produce the DVDs. Lots of HD equipment for the broadcast. Maybe in 2 years, when we have HD disc players, DCI will release an High-Def version :ph34r:

The audio was a center crossover and two outer mics with about 4 mics to the crowd. Well suited for 5.1 audio. Like last year, so going up should have been good too.

All of that came together with the video company showing the kids their show about 20 minutes after they did it behind the stadium (but don't get too close - hot, sweaty, well-worn uniforms packed in in mass :D )

Just to make you feel better, the water at the stadium is $3.50. Did not buy the popcorn ;)

Question- How many theaters were sold out at KofP this year?

Next year I'll drive to KofP since I'd rather be in a full theater. I went last year to New Brunswick- in NB the theater was packed and we had a blast- yes we cheered & gave standing O's for corps just like we were at the show.

I believe it was just the one theater at KOP. We were in #5, down at the very end. From where I was sitting - first row of the second half towards the back, in the center - it looked like almost every seat was filled.

IMO, response was kind of light - as far as cheering goes. I think people were more vocal when the feed when out (as many times as it did) then when they saw something good on the screen :P

I still have not seen any of those on the field...you'd let changes in I&E ruin what you watch and listen to on the field?

Mike

My decisions are NOT up for you to question.

My opinions you may challenge all you want.

Basically, DCI has made too many "improvements" to drum and bugle corps that have nothing to do with either.

Edited by apoch003

I enjoyed the experience here in Minneapolis-St. Paul. The theater was about half full. I'd say there were 250 in the place.

I didn't sit so close to the screen, so the picture wasn't all pixelated. The quality was surprisingly good, in fact. There were some small color issues, and the picture was maybe 5% wider than reality.

But the audio was very good. The volume was strong, but only distorted once. The extraneous noise (cheering, applause, etc.) sounded like it was coming from the people in the theater, so obviously the separation was right.

I liked being in the crowd with so many people I knew; many Minnesota Brass, ex-Rivermen, etc. So it was a better social experience than DCI.

I liked the snack situation than a live show. You could easily go out between corps and buy food or go to the bathroom, and get back in time to see the next corps. You could even do this while corps were performing, but not many people did.

The seats were much, much more comfortable than any DCI stadium seats I've been in.

Like Cardman noted, I wondered who people were applauding for in the theater? (I'm told the performers can't really hear you on the screen!) It must have been to try to recreate the stadium experience. However, no one gave any corps any standing ovations, as they always do in the stadiums. Curious.

The $18 to see the top 17 or so corps wasn't a bad price. I was very satisfied with the experience.

Thank you, DCI.