Cinecast Production Values

Many folks in review of the cinecast pointed out issues concerning production values of the broadcast itself. While I would point out many of the same things, I have just enough television production training/experience to be dangerous. I think it is important to remember a few things.

Shot Selection – Quarterfinals has to be what would be considered a technical rehearsal (using the stage term) for the video crew working the event. While Blair and his closest staff have worked these events in the past, it is likely that the camera operators and other technical staff are the TV equivalent of day laborers (well paid, but paid the daily rate). While they shoot live sporting events, this may be there first drum corps gig. The tapes from quarterfinals will be used to critique and coach for their next dry run tonight. And even though Blair has seen the most shows out of all of his staff, he is still working out the specific sequence of shots that he wants at any given moment in the show. All of this done in a drive to put together the best mix of shots for the finals night recording being passed over to the folks at ESPN2.

2 years ago DCI offered up DVD’s of single corps performances at quarters and finals. I bought a copy of the PR performance from quarters and the shot selection was different (slightly inferior) to what the final product was that came out under the PBS edit. For example, the drumline wedge that cut through the corps in "Wild Nights" was almost entirely missed in the quarterfinals edit (in favor of a colorguard cutaway), but was there for the PBS edit. Like the corps, mistakes are made and will be cured before Saturday.

Color Balance – A bunch of folks commented on the light colors being too bright. This was evident with Crown and was also exaggerated later in the event when cameras would pan upward from field level and catch the stadium lights through the inbound fog. Unfortunately for the theater audience, bigger screens exaggerate the flaws in the original signal. Regardless you can be sure the technical crew can address this before Saturday (if they notice it).

Announcing Staff – A lot can be said with the general statement of – “announcing is not their full time job.” For myself, I prefer to have the amateur voices with experience in the subject rather then the experienced voices with no grasp of the activity. That being said, the “banter” after the Cadets performance was painful, poorly scripted and even more poorly executed. That being said, the good thing is that the final program will be so tight there will be no reason to fill time as there was last night. Even if there is, they have a few weeks between the event and the broadcast to clean things up.

As for the on-the-field reporters, I think the former drum major who was backfield had better reporter skills and almost seemed to know what the audience wanted (Mic in the middle of the BD drumline was cool). But as to his reporting, at least when he was done, he “tossed it back” to the booth with a statement or calling a name (“back to you”). This NEVER happened with the girl up front so it made the transition from a sometimes weak interview that much more painful. With coaching, this too can improve.

If we keep in mind that the cinecast/quarterfinals = technical rehearsal, then we can all get back to our regularly schedule discussion of who is getting the shaft, why narration is good/bad and where finals will be in 2007 (Go CA!).

Edited by Dansize

I really don't care what u say.. I'm a hardcore enthusiast who could not make finals. The Cinecast wasn't meant for TV Broadcast or general public consumption.

And it failed in that regard.. Who needs constant closeups when you're missing the show going on behind it...

At a live show one is not FORCED to watch a soloist colour guard person, or a narrator talking, who the **** cares .. i want to see the OVERALL picture... put the darn closeups at the bottom of the screen in a corner (small) as to not interfere with the whole picture..

Boos to DCI for a lousy effort. Better luck next year.

Shot selection--Overall very good, but I hated hated hated hated hated hated hated all of the attention on "guest performers", e.g. Carmen, Astaire/Kelly, and the dream girl. Carmen tosses her hair and is a good dancer. Very talented. Same with Astaire/Kelly. Focusing on the Cadets' dream girl helped communicate the show's concept. One or two shots for a few seconds on each would have sufficed. Any more than that, and it's overkill, and the audience is missing out on THE REST OF THE SHOW!!!!!! BLAH!

Color Balance--didn't care.

Announcing Staff--They're not the reason I attended. Didn't care.

Announcing Staff--They're not the reason I attended.  Didn't care.

In my opinion, it truly needed more Cesario ©.

No offense to Dennis Dilucia (I think I butchered that spelling. apologies), but he's not real great as a "color man."

Personally, now that it's been shown that this will draw a significant crowd, I'd love to see DCI push to show Semifinals on Friday night instead of Top 17 of Quarters on Thursday. The biggest advantage is it would give Tom Blair and crew a chance to "dry run" the shows altogether AND in the venue before sending it out to the masses.

The thing also is that when they zoomed upclose on the guard, they weren't spinning anything, always dancing. They missed that incredible BD spinning part (only saw it from far away). Also, why zoom on the narrator? Also, why zoom on the battery, when they aren't playing (exception is when they caught the BD snare line doing some great stick work).

I would like to add, that the classic clips were fricking a great addition to the cinecast! Loved those. One opf the best highlights of the night. I believe they added these after the great response these got during the TOC last year. Bravo!

Personally, now that it's been shown that this will draw a significant crowd, I'd love to see DCI push to show Semifinals on Friday night instead of Top 17 of Quarters on Thursday.  The biggest advantage is it would give Tom Blair and crew a chance to "dry run" the shows altogether AND in the venue before sending it out to the masses.

Won't happen, Regal does not want to give up the theaters for their Friday night movie audiences...