Cinecast Production Values

Any other month but August, I might agree with you. But August is a kind of "take-out-the-trash" month for most movie studios anyway. Attendance is always down in Aug, so it seems the theatre would want to attract as many people as possible.

I really don't care what u say.. I'm a hardcore enthusiast who could not make finals.  The Cinecast wasn't meant for TV Broadcast or general public consumption.

My original post was not meant as an unilatteral endorsement or support for what was presented. Of course we would all have picked different shots based upon our own interests. I too am a hardcore fan and after finally getting a set of the full DVD's from 2004, I know there is more then one way to shoot (or watch) a program. However, I also cut them slack for what is in fact a broadcast of a rehearsal.

You are exactly right that Cinecast is not designed for TV or general public. But what it really is, is a nice way for DCI to recoup some of the cost of pre-production rehearsal, while giving their crews some real experience as to actual timing of the event, all while giving us "hardcore fans" something to watch in terms of a complete late-season shows from our favorite corps.

I liked it.

I will go again and expect exactly the same thing in terms of production values.

To expect anything more would cost DCI more in terms of dollars at which point they either stop doing it, or they pass the cost on to us. For $15, it's a bargain.

Announcing Staff – A lot can be said with the general statement of – “announcing is not their full time job.”  For myself, I prefer to have the amateur voices with experience in the subject rather then the experienced voices with no grasp of the activity.  That being said, the “banter” after the Cadets performance was painful, poorly scripted and even more poorly executed.  That being said, the good thing is that the final program will be so tight there will be no reason to fill time as there was last night.  Even if there is, they have a few weeks between the event and the broadcast to clean things up.

As for the on-the-field reporters, I think the former drum major who was backfield had better reporter skills and almost seemed to know what the audience wanted (Mic in the middle of the BD drumline was cool).  But as to his reporting, at least when he was done, he “tossed it back” to the booth with a statement or calling a name (“back to you”).  This NEVER happened with the girl up front so it made the transition from a sometimes weak interview that much more painful.  With coaching, this too can improve.

I agree 100% with this. The former drum major (name has escaped me) could stand to sound a little less like he is reading cue cards/memorized his lines, but did a adequate job with the exception of the bluecoats interview transition. I think he will continue grow as the years continue.

I really didn’t like Jessica last year and she just comes off a little awkward during her interviews. I was willing to give her another shot because I know how it can be when people are telling you to (basically)"HURRY UP!" in your ear piece. Also, after watching 11.5 she seemed to come off well on camera. This year didn’t really show much improvement and I almost got nervous for her during the interviews. Its just such small things that she needs to work on such as a simple "….and there you have it here from field level, back to you Steve." and working on controlling the voice a little more.

Also agree that for 15 bucks, this is a good deal.

-Lukehart

Won't happen, Regal does not want to give up the theaters for their Friday night movie audiences...

Yeah, probably. I was hoping that since this event proves to attract people (i.e.-there aren't only 40 people in each theater), they might be willing to move it to a Friday night. At $15-18 a ticket, it costs about as much as 2 movies. At 6 hours, they could only show two full movies and start a third in that time span. Plus, DCI pulls in more people than some of the older movies, so I'd bet that, at worst, replacing 2 1/2 movies with DCI would be a financial wash.

75 people seeing Deuce Bigalow vs. 200 people seeing DCI. Hmm . . .

I agree, there are some warm-ups worth listening to. I'm glad we got what we did out of the Blue Devils, but I was working to try to hear the horns behind the drums.

The clips were good to. I was personally pleased that 2 of them came from 1987 (Bluecoats, Cadets) which was one of my favorite years.

Heck, this was only year 2 of this format. Next year should be even better.

Nice work everybody. Knock'em dead tomorrow.

I have a question about resolution.

Someone discribed it as looking at 27" TV blown up to the size of a movie screen. I think that discribed it well. I thought it looked like the old rear projection screens. Did that depend on the theatre?

I think I've become a Hi-Def Snob.

What excactly is the projection system.

I'm really not complaining, i am very thankful tfor the technology and willingness of DCI to provide the show.

Don

Edited by McMHSBD

In my opinion, it truly needed more Cesario ©.

No offense to Dennis Dilucia (I think I butchered that spelling.  apologies), but he's not real great as a "color man."

Actually, I really have enjoyed how DeLucia has called it like he's seen it the past couple of years. He told us up front Colts didn't have a good show, and his shock at Vanguard being in tenth was unfeigned. A lot better from when he was reading DCI's script on PBS.

I have a question about resolution.

Someone discribed it as looking at 27" TV blown up to the size of a movie screen. I think that discribed it well. I thought it looked like the old rear projection screens. Did that depend on the theatre?

I think I've become a Hi-Def Snob.

What excactly is the projection system.

I'm really not complaining, i am very thankful tfor the technology and willingness of DCI to provide the show.

Don

It's a pretty accurate description. The "Digital projectors" in use are not much more elaborate than a projector you might find in an office doing a Power Point presentation. They are bigger and beefier in terms of total lumen output (as they have to be for the screen size), but they are held hostage to the image source. In this case, they are broadcasting a standard analog television feed that has been converted to digital for the satellite upload/download and then converted again for theater viewing. It's improved over the years, but is inferior to anything else typically shown in a movie theater. The resolution is far less then any film medium typically shown. The bigger screen will also exagerate any flaws in the picture or signal.

In a previosu life I delivered/installed high end home video. It was always sad when someone would dump big bucks in to a new TV. After we would get it installed the owner would be ticked as the picture looked awful. Typically the video signal from the antenna or cable was the culprit. Garbage in = garbage out.

Actually, I really have enjoyed how DeLucia has called it like he's seen it the past couple of years.  He told us up front Colts didn't have a good show, and his shock at Vanguard being in tenth was unfeigned.  A lot better from when he was reading DCI's script on PBS.

That's a fair point. I just feel like he doesn't quite have the charisma to be a TV personality. Maybe I could have explained it better in the first post. I have no problems with criticisms of the corps. I mainly was thinking of having the on-air presence/energy/charisma, something that Cesario has more of than DeLucia.