.85 from perfection

I have to admit, despite not seeing the shows, that the Cadets score seems awfully high - heck, I can remember national championships being won with scores in the eighties!

Makes me wonder if there may come a time when drum corps scores will go the direction of some schools who give student grades HIGHER than a 4.0!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit, despite not seeing the shows, that the Cadets score seems awfully high - heck, I can remember national championships being won with scores in the eighties!

Makes me wonder if there may come a time when drum corps scores will go the direction of some schools who give student grades HIGHER than a 4.0!

LMAO... extra credit for certain items that go beyond standard "demand"

Why are we seeing 10s and 9.9s when the recaps show that judges have the ability to give scores down to the hundredth?  Why aren't we seeing 9.98 or 9.92?  They expanded the scoring down to the hundredth, they've been using it all season long .. why aren't they using it now? 

Judges do NOT have the ability to give scores down to the hundredth. The only reason it shows up that way on the recap sheet is become some captions are averaged together.

Let's see The Cadets, score like that in the old tick system!!!! 

NOT!!!!! b**bs  b**bs  b**bs  b**bs

Yeah, the old tick system was a GREAT idea... Umm, yeah. Good idea. Let's go back to the old system where nobody ever tried anything difficult. Let's go back to the old shows where there was a "concert" selection and "park-and-blow" for minutes on end.

In a way, all the 10s that the Cadets received is really a testament to how good Cavies and PR were.

Why are people getting so hung up on the scores??? If you like Cavies and PR, why is it not enough to just go on loving their shows?? The fact that they didn't win doesn't diminish their seasons of hard work.

Ten years from now, nobody will care about the scores anymore. In fact, nobody will care about the placements either. People will only care about which shows were their personal favorites. For some it will be the Cadets. For others it will be the Cavaliers or Phantom. Maybe even SCV, Bluecoats, Crossmen, Southwind, or whoever. Scores and placements isn't what creates a classic show...

It felt perfect when I marched it.

you're no fool.

however here's what i see missed by all here....it's called numbers management.

if you start in a caption at say 8.5, with a cap of 10.0 and you have 11 more corps to go, what's left?

if you judge right and leave room for spreads, you only have so many numbers to pick from.

I haven't looked at the recaps, but my guess is numbers started high, they only had so many numbers to choose from, and as a result, 10's had to happen.

the problem is two fold to me...starting too high, which then leaves little room for the appropriate spreads.

They can do a tie in those subcaptions (eg, GE Music Repertoire Effect), and I've seen it happen...

Take, for example, Ensemble Music at 2004 Semifinals...the top 3 corps all got a 9.9 in Musicianship...they had different Tech scores, so the totals out of 20 weren't the same...

I just looked at the recaps from finals the other night, and 5 judges did tie a subcaption at some point...for example in Brass, the Cadets and Phantom both got a 9.8 in Musicianship..

Etc...

I'm just saying but a lot of you have never been judges, and I'm pretty sure almost all of you haven't been on the field up close to judge. Those 9 judges, since indianapolis have gave them high scores. Now, scores don't reflect that it was the best performance, but in the judges mind, it deserved that 99.150. It wasn't just one judge that gave them the really high score that boosted them up, but it was ALL 9 judges!

The Cadets had the show! Loved it. They bit the cavies in late july in indianapolis, hitting those 92's and about a week before finals hitting a 96, you can't possibly think it wouldn't have gone that high to a 99.150.

Cavaliers bore me year after year. I usually like their drill, but this year was just... a snore too. I would really love to see them play some enjoyable music for once. Their composers for the original pieces should learn something from the Cadets' original pieces this year. Blue Devils?! What happened? Nice music, narration sucks!

You still keep getting peeps complaining, oh blah blah blah they shouldn't have won. I mean look at the scores before finals. If you had any thought that the Cadets weren't going for a high score... you need help.

Oh comon, but I'm not a judge I can't say it did or didn't deserve a 99.150, but it didn't surprise me one bit that they scored so high looking at their previous competition scores.

It felt perfect when I marched it.

:rock: My favorite show in the world. I <3 you

It's really quite simple.

If the "high" score given out before the Cadets took the field in each caption was a 9.8 or 9.9, and each judge felt the Cadets had the best performance of the night, they have no other choice but to give out a 9.9 or 10.0, which is exactly what they did tonight.

It's all relative, if the judging community had a meeting before finals and decided that an 8.5 would be the best number they could give out all night, than the corps overall score would obviously be lower.

99.15 tied for the highest score in DCI history, that's a fact.

Was it the best performance in drum corps history?

Maybe, maybe not.

Scores can be deceiving, but they do ultimately decide who wins.

All very true but I think it's an example of bad numbers management. I don't disagree with the placements but I think the judges got lucky finals night. What if a judge only left him/herself a tenth of a point before the final corps and they really thought the spread should be 3 tenths? It didn't matter this year because Cadets were scoring that much better across the board. I would hate to see somebody lose a placement simply because of bad numbers management. That's all.