.85 from perfection

As far as I know, the individual judges score to the tenth. More than one score averaged is where you get the hundredths. If judges scored to the hundredths, then the average would come out to the thousandths, etc...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you complain when Cavies received three 20's in '03, one being a "perfect" color guard score?

You beat me to saying it. I wanna know what the difference between an 98.999 and a 99.15 is... not much, IMO. Just because Cadets passed 99 everyone goes into flip out mode, when in all reality the score is not THAT much higher than a 98.999. Honestly people, put it into perspective. Oh and did I mention the fact that the Cadets were squeaky clean?

In a way, all the 10s that the Cadets received is really a testament to how good Cavies and PR were.

On another look, final scores do in fact already come out to the thousandth in some instances, so if judges scored to the hundredth, we'd get

"In first place, with a score of 97.5675!"

As far as 100 being perfection, if it's the highest score possible, then that really equals perfection. As I said, the whole scale needs to be lowered so that the 12th place corps isn't setting a record for a 12th place corps. You are going to eventually run out of score to give.

The corps are not judged against a scoring sheet as much as each other. I go through the same thing giving my Marines proficiency and conduct scores. I have a sheet that I go by that says here is what a 3.5- 3.9 is, etc. But, I don't have to worry about giving one guy a higher score because he is achieving a higher degree of excellence. It's not a competition. As all the corps get better and better, then you are going to have to lower the scale or go up to 110. Great, the Cadets were 13 points better than Spirit, but what happens when Spirit scores an 88?

Tad,

Do you have it in your physical makeup to be anything but rude?  I have not condescended to you, I have not called you a name and NEITHER have I said that anyone DESERVED the title this year OTHER than Cadets.  Why do you feel must you address me in such a demonstrably condescending manner?

WE DISAGREE.  You asked me to clarify and I did.. and you took THAT opportunity to speak down to me, yet again.

I'm not a moron.  I'm not a simple minded girl.  I'm not a "new fan" -- I've been around for a while and I DO know generally what I'm talking about.  I expressed disbelief at the generous handing out of 10s in a system that is CLEARLY set up to be scored down to the hundredth (GO LOOK AT THE RECAP and you'll see what I am referring to).  I then offered what I expected should be an EASY solution based on how the recap is set up to define scores in all the subcaptions (xx.xxx, not xx.x) -- you asked me for it, I gave it to you.  End of story.

Now, I welcome the exchange of opinions and disagreements found in this forum but in the future, I'd appreciate it if you are going to have a debate or discussion with me that you address me with the same common courtesy and respect I offer you.

Thanks,

Stef

you're no fool.

however here's what i see missed by all here....it's called numbers management.

if you start in a caption at say 8.5, with a cap of 10.0 and you have 11 more corps to go, what's left?

if you judge right and leave room for spreads, you only have so many numbers to pick from.

I haven't looked at the recaps, but my guess is numbers started high, they only had so many numbers to choose from, and as a result, 10's had to happen.

the problem is two fold to me...starting too high, which then leaves little room for the appropriate spreads.

Here's my argument. I am not a big score person but there are somethings that kinda throw me off. For instance, why can't someone win DCI With a 95.4? I think that once you achieve a score of 98 and higher. What you are doing is standard setting and innovating the activity. 2002 Cavaliers did that without a doubt in MY mind. Did the 2005 Cadets do that this year...no. The cadets set new standards for the cadets. After I watched that show (live) I immediately realized that that is the best show the cadets have ever had! I won't hate, I loved a lot of parts. But for it to get 99.15...not diggin it.

More importantly, this year's top 12 was fantastic. Everyone got better than the year before and I left saying, "wow...this was a good year."

Just my $0.02

<Sarcasm on> Someone needs to brief Rondinero and Delucia that 100 isn't a "perfect" score, but rather, the "maximum" score. <Sarcasm off>

I do believe that is how it was described in the Cinecast... Can someone roll the tape on that? I mean, surely DCI wouldn't let the audience have the WRONG impression, would they?