What would have made me happy...

Despite the fact that I am a huge Cavies fan, I think this would have been my preferred (and IMHO possible and acceptable) finish tonight

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Cadets

3. Cavaliers

4. Bluecoats

5. Blue Devils

6. Madison Scouts (yay! four camera agle finally)

7. Carolina Crown

8. Santa Clara Vanguard

9. Boston Crusaders

10. Blue Knights

11. Glassmen

12. Spirit from JSU

What do you think? (Explaning the "Big Four" placed as 2,3,5, and 8 would be fun)

I say, make the fans happy.  Give them what they want.  Then again, that depnds on what fans you are talking to.

As another big Cavalier fan, I've got to agree with you (though I don't see any reason to set any other placements in that list, I think the judges got the placements pretty much right).. I've been saying for a while that it would definitely NOT break my heart to see Regiment leap-frog over both Cavaliers and Cadets to take the title this year. I think this year's Regiment is among my favorite shows ever (right alongside 1997 and 1998 Vanguard and 1984 Garfield).

Pat, I know you'll end up reading this stuff eventually so, thanks for a great year!

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me rephrase the weakest show since the late 90's comment. It's just that musically 03 and 04 were just so amazing , this year to me personally was a little bit of a letdown. Don't misunderstand me, I really like Phantom's show overall, it just didn't totally amaze me like the last 2 years had. And I don't like it anywhere near as well as 93(I may be biased on that year, as 2 of my good friends marched that year), 94, 89, or 96.

I am excited for them getting 3rd place this year. I just enjoyed Madison and Bluecoats just a little better. If I am being completely honest, musically I liked 10 other corps better this year. That doesn't mean they were better than Phantom, I just liked their musical selections better. This may be the biggest reason for my opinions of this years Phantom Regiment performance.

I am more of a positive person, so rather than it seeming negative about this years performance, I prefer to think of it as a majorly positive opinion of the last 2 years shows.

One last thing, there was a poll of favorite years by Phantom Regiment, and the last time I looked, this year was behind in votes to the years 96,93, and 89 if I am not mistaken-although the last time I saw that poll was probably 5 days ago, before finals week started.

I'll bite. Not going on technical merit (yes, I know BD was technically better than many I put above them), just how much I liked the show generally.

1. Phantom Regiment

2. The Cadets

3. The Cavaliers

4.Carolina Crown

5. Madison Scouts

6.Bluecoats

7.BAC

8.SCV

9. Glassmen

10. Blue Knights

11. Spirit

12. Blue Devils

Ideally?

Cadets 98.575

Regiment 98.00

Cavies 97. 85

Madison 95.20

Bluecoats 95.00

Blue Devils 94.75

Vanguard 90.50

Crown 90.50

Boston 90.00

Glassmen 88.25

Spirit 87.75

Crossmen 86.00

Rocketman - whatever

ampssuck

So people can't criticize a Phantom show now? Everyone has to love the show? I don't like Gershwin, so I'm wrong for not liking the show? It seems that when anyone dares to say anything bad about Phantom, people just jump all over them. And they call Cadets borg bad...

Anyways. Me personally, I would have put the Cavaliers on top, because I'm 1) a huge Cavvies fan and 2) always impressed with their shows, and this year's was no exception. I would have had the Cadets second, then Phantom, Bluecoats, Madison, and BD. But that is based on nothing other than my very uneducated opinions on execution and, to an extent, how much I enjoyed the shows.

Edited by murphpuppy37

I like it when the best corps wins - not always the "best" show in terms of someone's pesonal tastes

Cadets were clearly in a league of their own this championship in terms of demand coupled with outstanding execution - some other corps winning would have been giving the prize to the designer rather than the actual execution and achievement on the field...

So people can't criticize a Phantom show now?  Everyone has to love the show?  I don't like Gershwin, so I'm wrong for not liking the show?  It seems that when anyone dares to say anything bad about Phantom, people just jump all over them.  And they call Cadets borg bad... 

I'm not sure if you are replying to me, since you didn't quote, but if you are...I don't think you read what you think you read. I never said people can't criticize a Phantom show...heck...dig through my old posts and you will find plenty of posts FROM ME criticizing past shows.

So people can't criticize a Phantom show now? Everyone has to love the show? I don't like Gershwin, so I'm wrong for not liking the show? It seems that when anyone dares to say anything bad about Phantom, people just jump all over them. And they call Cadets borg bad...

Some "Phans" HAVE been hostile on the boards all summer, but NOT Nikk. Regiment had a great season and entertained crowds, but I'll admit that "Rhapsody" didn't do much for me either. That being said, I still believe that 2006 was one of the strongest musical corps they've ever fielded.

Edited by OKTrpt