Re-hash of an old complaint...

Actually think the Glassmen carried Altos' a lot more recently. Last year Lancers bought a bunch of 3 valve G Altos from the Glassmen(?) so the mid range horns would have a matched set.

Glassmen had those horns up until 1996 when the corps purchased a line of Dynasty mellophones.

Are the Lancers having the same problems with the altos that we had? No matter what, the #### horns always played flat. The '95 line even made a t-shirt about it, it was so bad.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glassmen had those horns up until 1996 when the corps purchased a line of Dynasty mellophones.

Are the Lancers having the same problems with the altos that we had?  No matter what, the #### horns always played flat.  The '95 line even made a t-shirt about it, it was so bad.

LMAO - resisting urge to say "At least they're all flat together" :P

Hard to tell if the mid voices are flat when you have a Contra behind your ears :rolleyes:

LMAO - resisting urge to say "At least they're all flat together"  :P

Hard to tell if the mid voices are flat when you have a Contra behind your ears  :rolleyes:

What? I can't hear you, there's a Contra behind my ears. ^0^

But you're cuter... ^0^

Yes I am actually saving that for later. Careful, though. I shoot straight from the hip. :rolleyes:

Lucy has left the building. :)

Yeah, but you're cute.  :P  Just as long as you're not Lucy again.  ^0^

Besides...I don't think you came in guns a-blazing....maybe you're saving that for later?  :worthy:

Jeez, guys.  It's just names.  It mellophones didn't bother you, why do trumpets?

It is really more than just names. It is tradition and history. To some, it will always hurt to let a tradition go, usually those that were a part of the tradition. To others that are new, tradition means nothing unless you are taught the tradition and decide to appreciate the roots of where this all started.

I appreciate and understand many reasons for the change to Bb/F horns, however I will never agree that they tune better than G horns. They may tune easier than G horns which means it will take more effort, thus better musicianship, to play in tune on G horns.

Calling the horns by their "real" names as opposed to their voicing is fine if you want to let the traditions of where this activity came from disappear. This seems to be the way of the activity and it is always rationalized as "progress". Progress. When was the last time you saw an honor guard on the field during a corps performance at DCI championships? There is another tradition sadly erased.

I always thought we called the mid-horns in Glassmen when I marched "altos" because they weren't good enough to be called "mellos". :D

Got THAT right Kevin!

Takes a lot to be a Glassmen Mellophone!

Heck, one year,I was the ONLY one!

*of course we only had 22 horns!* :P

Edited by Bob Brady

Got THAT right Kevin!

Takes a lot to be a Glassmen Mellophone!

Heck, one year,I was the ONLY one!

*of course we only had 22 horns!* :P

Unlike now when there are 22 SOPRANOS in the line. :D

I noticed you live in Napoleon. Do you make the trip up to G-West often since it's right up 108 for you?

Again, technically speaking...they have ALWAYS been trumpets.  Until 2000, they were trumpets in G, but they were still trumpets.  So why did we call them soprani back then?  I don't know the exact reasons, but I am willing to bet it had to do with wanting to be different than the typical high school band.

It's not that big of a deal...I'm just an old dinosaur and liked this particular little tradition.  Don't know why it needed to change.

Nikk, got you beat in the dinosaur department :P . Yes, I also cringe when I hear trumpets and tubas as the current drum corps designation. For me, the old nomenclature reinforced the differences that drum corps had from marching band: uniqueness requiring a special committment and an activity which was insulated by use of a different tool from the larger world of scholastic music. It fostered the very climate which lead to the innovations and the focus which resulted in drum and bugle corps' ascension to the pinnacle of the art-form.

OK, for everyone with trumpets and tubas two questions.

1) Whadda ya call the horns in between?

2) Does anyone play bugle in you Drum & Bugle Corps?

Note: Question aimed at 2005 DCI members Only.....