215 members have voted

1. 1. So...how was the Blue Devils show this year? Be Honest

• YOWZA! It was HORRIBLE!
    • If they cut out the narration and "yowza" I would of liked it
    • Meh....it was average
    • The show was good and I didn't mind the YOWZAS
    • Best show EVER!
    • I haven't heard or seen the show yet

:worthy:  Uh, this is as perplexing as the dance derby.

Tell me about it ... "disappointed in what you ask? the show? corps? the placement? the hornline? something else? Well that will be for your OWN mind to toy around with! What dooooo I mean? I will not reveal that answer publically" ... oddball post of the month, man. B)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hystarical that a dance competition done in reverse is so brain numbingly challenging for so many people to understand.  :worthy:

If anyone thought it was hard to understand, it was BD's staff, who thought we needed narration to explain the concept to us. I, on the other hand, think they could have told the story quite well without the voice-overs. Yowza.

I'll feel bad for the Blue Devils that performed that show and are here.

I'll feel bad for the Blue Devils that performed that show and are here.

Me too. Which is why I'm DELIBERATELY trying to stir this pot rather than add more to it. But that seems to be doing more harm than good.

You know what? BD, you are a corps after my own heart. Always have been and always will be, whether you place well or whether you don't. Whether I like your show or whether I don't. Whether up year or down year. I will always be a Blue Devil fan and a proud alum.

Edited by torn8o

If anyone thought it was hard to understand, it was BD's staff, who thought we needed narration to explain the concept to us.  I, on the other hand, think they could have told the story quite well without the voice-overs.  Yowza.

Silly. Perhaps it did need to be explained, just look at how many people here complain of not getting it or being able to follow along!

Again, BD needs to showcase the entire hornline, not just a few screamers. Write some baritone/mello solos, put in a few amazing small ensemble moments....play to your strengths.

No kidding. Give me their soloists from '93 over most of their screamers since '97 any day of the week.

I find it hystarical that a dance competition done in reverse is so brain numbingly challenging for so many people to understand.  :rolleyes:

The majority of the drill was actually quite difficult, but I can surely attribute most peoples claim of it being easy to A) not seeing the show enough to really analyze it, and B) how easy the Blue Devils make their drill look. (yes!)

Just a couple of examples:

Rotating an oval not hard? The whole hornline is traveling at a 4 to 5 right into an exposed technique section. all 66 of em.

Top of the ballad....sliding a block with the entire corps in it up an angle. Is it physically exhausting? No. But does it put incredible exposure on everyone in the block to maintain as close to perfect dress as possible over a long time? Yes. Especially when everyone is traveling backwards. 

Last 40 seconds or so of the show, the entire hornline and drumline travel at nothing less than a 6 to 5 and then grows bigger while still playing sustained fortissimo. At over 200bpm.

I spoke to some of the BD members during finals week, and heard from all I spoke to that this years show has been their favorite to perform and be a part of.  So I applaud this years Blue Devil members for still being great performers, for loving what they are doing, and for putting up with internet keyboard jockeys that have either forgotten what it takes or choose to ignore just how much mind, body, spirit, blood, sweat and tears that these young people have put forth for YOU.

Hey ! I saw this debacle five times and a full day of practice....can I play ??

Quite simply, the worst visual design the Devils have ever had. And colorguard ?? Where is that BD colorguard ?? trying to outdo one another with their technical prowess ?? ITs a group effort, not individual or groups of individuals no follow up or expansion of themes..no ensemble work, no ensemble clarity, except for the opening statement...too much acting, too much individual expression and not nearly enough colorguard.....no, it was also sensless to start the derby backwards, regardless of how well it might have looked on paper, it dodnt not communicate with the audience, it left them out, left them cold to the show and ultimately unresponsive. the least response of any corps all three nights.

And as for your take on the performers, wish I had gotten that reaction when I spoke to many, many of the ageouts.....I will leave the things they said about the )(&(*^*& given to them to perform as private..but a far different take than what YOU heard...

~G~

oh, and PS: Im well aware of how Jay and co. write their drill and how their style makes them more than adequate in the "making it look easy" category.Ive been defending them for decades...cant do it this year.