Woodwinds & the Demise of Drum Corps

Actually, the only added cost would be in buying and maintaining a woodwind inventory. I believe the number of 135 members per corps is fairly concrete.

Woodwind player slots would come from current battery, guard, and brass captions--no need for a new bus, added fuel expense, etc.

Anyone who thinks that they would keep the personnel at 135 if they added woodwinds is out of their minds. They would raise the personnel limit to around 180 or so (or whatever another bus would hold), and THEN make the woodwind rule change. Not gonna happen.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the Drum and Fife Corps had woodwinds (piccolos), and they were one of the precursors to the modern drum and bugle corps.  Perhaps a bit of history for the activity to go back to its Civil War days.  Actually, I believe some of those Fife corps also used a bugle or two.  Nah, say it ain't so!! :)

I love this activity, but there are a lot of whiners.  Lots of crying and a lot of sour grapes.

Jonathan

Ah, yes...if we could only get Yamaha® to make fifes.

Too bad that adding saxes, clarinets and flutes wouldn't be "going back" at all.

So, unless Yamaha introduces the Xeon© Fife Xtreme, we'll still have a great big ...say it with me...marching band out there if it happens. ^0^

Sour grapes? Nah. They don't make good "whine". :P

Edited by bawker

You could be correct in ASSUMING that DCI would increase the maximum member slots, but, from what I understand, is that the woodwind subject has been brought up much more than an increase in membership.

Of course, I have never attended a DCI board meeting, so I can't assume much.

BTW, please don't imply that I'm out of my mind. That's how nasty rumors get started. The condition of my mind is my business. Thanks. :P

Edited by ravedodger

Waaaaaaaaa! I want to believe things are the way that I say they are.

Stop calling it a Band.  Waaaaa. It's drum corps.  Waaaaaa.  It's not a band!

Waaaaaa.  There will never be woodwinds.  Waaaaaa.

Waaaaa! I have nothing constructive to contribute so I'll simply insult!

Waaaaa! It's not the way I want it, so it's not drum corps!

Waaaaa! My narrow mind can't keep up with the changes and I'm miserable, so I'm gonna try to make everyone miserable, too!

Waaaaa! My life sucks because I've got nothing better to do but come on a drum corps discussion board and negatively criticize everything in the activity! Waaaaaa! Waaaaaa!

:worthy: :blah: :worthy: <**> :rolleyes:

Anyway I think DCI should change the number of members allowed in Division 1 before they even entertain the thought of woodwinds.

Besides the monetary increment, I think more members = more sound, more complex drill. *nods*

You could be correct in ASSUMING that DCI would increase the maximum member slots, but, from what I understand, is that the woodwind subject has been brought up much more than an increase in membership.

Of course, I have never attended a DCI board meeting, so I can't assume much.

I'm not assuming anything, really. It HAS been attempted before and it failed miserably. It probably will be attempted again, and it will fail miserably again. I've spoken with 6 corps directors about this in the last 2 years. They all said the same thing. Corps directors (or the Boards of Directors who they answer to) will not vote for those kinds of expenditures.

As an outsider, it appears to me (and many, many others)that woodwinds will be getting the OK before an increase in membership granted.

Appearances may be deceiving, but it appears that DCI hasn't been doing much to avoid certain appearances.

Waaaaa!  I have nothing constructive to contribute so I'll simply insult!

Waaaaa!  It's not the way I want it, so it's not drum corps! 

Waaaaa! My narrow mind can't keep up with the changes and I'm miserable, so I'm gonna try to make everyone miserable, too!

Waaaaa! My life sucks because I've got nothing better to do but come on a drum corps discussion board and negatively criticize everything in the activity!  Waaaaaa!  Waaaaaa! 

:worthy:  :blah:  :worthy:  <**>  :rolleyes:

The blurb was in response to the incendiary nature of the posters' baby picture which fits well with your present response. And aren't you doing the same thing you're criticizing? Kinda silly reasoning. Oh well.

Silly little picture and quote you have in your sig line, Mr. Skywalker. As for me? I would rather that drum corps would go back to times previous to my marching. I thought we were getting a little off course even then.