Woodwinds & the Demise of Drum Corps

I think that the "people" you mentioned were not necessarily the fans or followers of drum corps - I think it was more of the "DCI BOD" or inner sanctum that made these decisions for whatever reasons - and from what I've read here, seems to NOT be a decision that "the fans and followers of drum corps" had any part of or say in, which for many, typefies one of the bigger beefs that many have with DCI - the fact that they do what they want and give little notice to what it is that the fans want.

The thing people fail to realize is that the directors and board members of DCI are also fans of drum corps. They are actually HUGE fans of drum corps. Most of them have spent their entire lives in drum corps. Most of them have sacrificed more for their involvement in drum corps than any of us can ever know. They may not like all of the things that many percieve "the ordinary fan" likes, but then again, if we could get ALL the fans to agree on anything, that would be a major accomplishment. Nay, it would be a miracle!

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha wow, I really can't believe so many of you are preaching apocalypse of DCI.

You know, I knew what this thread was about when I read the title. If you didn't want to read what the thread originator had to say, you didn't have to click on it.

I will say that I agree that adding woodwinds will fundamentally change drum corps. Changing the rules to allow any-key brass did change the sound, slightly. Adding woodwinds creates a whole different timbre.

I'll also suggest that adding woodwinds may not change the sound at all. I'm basing this on my observation of a 300+ piece marching band several years ago at the Fiesta Bowl band championships in Phoenix. They had 50 flutes, and I couldn't hear one of them. In fact, I couldn't hear much woodwind sound at all.

So, why add woodwinds? To create more drill spots? Not worth the expense, IMO.

As Wil said, woodwind players that want to march drum corps have been filling the ranks for decades in the brass, percussion and guard, and they still can.

Add to this the fact that many band and orchestra festivals have solo competition. Why add it to the DCI I&E?

Have you considered that this may have been one of the reasons for adapting A&E in the first place? Because you're sure going to need it if woodwinds are ever legalized.

Form a band division, if that's what you want. Think of all the band directors that already have a cow if a brass, percussion or guard person misses a day of band camp when the woodwinds are showing up late, too.

This subject isn't as simple as some would like it to be. But there is a simple solution. Just leave the voicing alone, leave the membership limits alone, leave all the rules alone for five years. Take a break from rules change proposals. It seems like we have too many changes, too often, as it is.

Garry

This subject isn't as simple as some would like it to be. But there is a simple solution. Just leave the voicing alone, leave the membership limits alone, leave all the rules alone for five years. Take a break from rules change proposals. It seems like we have too many changes, too often, as it is.

Garry

You win the thread.

Do I know you?  Fill me in on when and where you and I shared a field together?

Kilties, 2004. You played soprano and I was in the pit for most of the summer. You probably remember my tour roomie better than me. My picture is in my profile.

I'm proud of my time with the corps and have or had respect for every (yes, EVERY) person I shared the field with as a part of that corps for the 3 years I was there. Some kept it.. some lost it... but this stuff is pushing the limits, man.

Stef

I'm proud of my time with the corps and have or had respect for every (yes, EVERY) person I shared the field with as a part of that corps for the 3 years I was there.  Some kept it.. some lost it... but this stuff is pushing the limits, man.

Stef

My apologies for not remembering you. As for my disdain for bands and what is happening to the foundation of drum corps which I helped lay.... it's America baby. Take a gander at the Constitution. Your desire to squelch opinion is what is scary and pushes the limits. Oh and ....you said you were in the pit... pits are off the field...so we didn't technically share a field.

It is not the instruments we play, or if we are "wired", or if we sing, run, stand or do jumping jacks for 11.5 minutes that defines the "drum and bugle corps" acitvity.  What defines "drum corps" is the experience of the members, life lessons, the good and bad times, and the thousands of cheering fans each year. 

Try this:

"What defines (name any competitive youth activity here) is the experience of the members, life lessons, the good and bad times, and the thousands of cheering fans each year."

I have two comments on that.

1. The only thing that separates drum corps from any local "little league" activity in that description is the size of the audience.

2. We've seen summer marching band circuits in action in the five decades following World War II, and they consistently drew smaller audiences than drum corps. History, thus, demonstrates that "the experience" would not survive the integration of woodwinds into drum corps. Without the "thousands of cheering fans" aspect, it would be a different experience.