best venue & city

What about the Rams stadium in St. Louis? They've held BOA Regionals there for years and lots and lots of bands show up for those...it's kind of like the RCA Dome in Indy in regards to acoustics and location...maybe not the greatest finals venue, but a regional certainly. Plus, it's really centrally located.

You want to have Finals in a *DOME*?????? God forbid.

P.S. Is Indy really getting a new (outdoor) stadium? If that's the case, DCI should call dibs immediately! B)

Edited by Orpheus

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlotte? No. I don't think so. Attending just the Nighbeat show at the old stadium there is a real hassle. Gate crews are borderline rude and the whole token system for concessions is like nothing you've ever seen at a drum corps show. Want a cold drink? You stand in ridiculously long lines twice to get one. That's not the Carolina Crown's doing either. It's the Mecklenburg County Parks and Rec folks who run the stadium. I couldn't get excited about a finals in Charlotte until I was sure that the folks who would actually be running the show site are doing a better job than what I've experienced in Charlotte in the past.

That stadium is too small for finals...it would be in Ericsson Stadium (Panthers). I guess the AL Memorial Stadium of which you speak would be more considered for D2/3? Are there other smaller stadiums in Charlotte?

In any case, there really isn't anything to...DO in Charlotte, is there?

Seattle........Husky stadium was just a great place for a drum corps show when I was there in 2002. Pretty views of the water outside the stadium, a great sound in spite of (or enhanced by) the roofing, and uncommonly good parking for a university stadium in a major city......and I'm thinking of corps trucks and buses. The roof over the seating at the Seahawks stadium looks like it might do wierd things to the sound but someone else posted that he had performed there (with a drum corps I wonder?) and that it had been good.

Husky Stadium would be a terrific place to have finals the next time it comes out west. Quest Field (Seahawks Stadium) is slightly better for corps though... both have ample parking. The staff at quest field was even kind enough to repaint the field a little closer to the stands just for the show.

That stadium is too small for finals...it would be in Ericsson Stadium (Panthers).  I guess the AL Memorial Stadium of which you speak would be more considered for D2/3?  Are there other smaller stadiums in Charlotte?

In any case, there really isn't anything to...DO in Charlotte, is there?

COUGHCOUGH Carowinds, Nascar Hall of Fame (keeps fingers crossed), Concord Mills, Bars downtown galore, Blumenthal Performing Arts Center (catch a show), and don't forget, there's that sleezy Topless bar that says "TOPLESS" on the sign on 74 going out towards Monroe :)

Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge :blink:

But those mosquitos!

I'm with all the folks that say Cincinnati. Paul Brown is absolutely magnificent, perfect for drum corps. Div II/III can be held at UC's Nippert Stadium, which was recently renovated. There's lots of hotels in the area, an amusement park, plus the airport is a major Delta hub. With three Ohio corps, plus Southwind across the river, the place would be packed. DCI '08: Cincinnati, Ohio.

1) Charlotte NC

2) Pittsburgh PA

3) Nashville TN

4) Raleigh NC (once the renovations to Carter-Finley are 100% complete)

I was thinking about Carter-Finley the other day (I'm a State student). But it took me back to a conversation I was having with some work friends, discussing whether we could host a big climate conference in Raleigh (I'm in meteorology). And we couldn't think of anything to do in Raleigh (for example, we had a climate conference in Savannah in June...Savannah has the river, the river front, just darn pretty in general). I know I made the same complaint about Charlotte above, but in Raleigh, even worse I think.